Advertising advice!

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
elena

Advertising advice!

Post by elena »

Hello everybody!
We joined this great forum months ago and seem to have been bogged down with travaux, web etc etc!!
At last got a website up (in the middle of revamping so it may look a bit strange!) but now we're late starting off & really need to get ourselves on the map.
Any good advice about value for money and results when it comes to choosing who to advertise with? Some seem so expensive and we still have so many expenses ahead we have to choose carefully ( same with everyone I suppose!)
Hope someone can help!

Elena
www.lescrouquets.net

(Thanks Marcus for the thread tip!!)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Elena and welcome aboard. :D If you play about with the search facility, there is heaps of info on listing sites that you will be able to uncover; the same request keeps popping up regularly here and it means that if you can dig about a bit, members don't need to go over the same ground each time.

Have you found Paolo's sticky at thr top of the listing site section Elena? That's always a good starting point, but I am even wondering if Paolo might consider a second sticky at the top of the listing site section, including some of the relevant threads/debates, to help newbies make up their minds? Things do change over time, but not very much I suspect.

Paolo, a good idea or a rubbish one?

I don't know which link Marcus gave you, but here's one I found just by doing a search a minute ago - there are loads of others. But this particular thread also has a link to another quite useful site which compares the major listing sites.

viewtopic.php?t=2749&highlight=listing

Bonne chance!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
mayenne53

Post by mayenne53 »

Hello Elena

We found a really nice site, very friendly, and well placed in MSN, Yahoo and google for French Self Catering searches...

french-self-catering.co.uk

They are very reasonable and often have listing offers, currently 10% off for a link to them.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Elena

Remember the advice (often given on LMH) that a rental site which works for one property doesn't necessarily work for another. We filled our gites using one rental site for two years but, this year, barely an enquiry from them. Why? This year, we listed with two new sites. One has stormed away for us, the other almost nothing. Why?

Rental site performance has been a puzzle and a lottery for us.

Jim
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Elena....

Also remember were a sceptical lot. :roll:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes - very. Recommendations of this kind always have a similar profile Mayenne53 - ie the poster is new to the forum, has no link to a website, nothing on his or her profile to state if they have a property and if so where ...... and almost invariably that newbie turns out to be the owner of the listing site s/he is recommending.

Perhaps if you gave us a bit more information about yourself in this way, to reassure us? :)
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mayenne53

Post by mayenne53 »

Jimbo, I dont think there is a magic formula either when it comes to choosing the right property advertising site. What is right for one owner, doesnt automatically mean it will work for another, but ultimately, it all depends on how the property is presented with it's merits etc.

Gascony Goat, I hadnt updated my profile yet, as I dont have a website yet, but thats coming too. We are right in the bottom corner of 53, a stones throw from 35 and 44 - nearest large town is Laval.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I haven't heard of the above listing site, and if there is a free offer, go for it, but at the same time, if you've just set up and are watching your pennies, it's best to invest your budget on advertising on one or two tried and tested listing sites. I agree, presentation and the way you write about you property are critically important, but you also have to be selective as to where you showcase it and be sure you're gaining maximum exposure. Plenty of tips to be found here if you search, and also some more ideas from http://www.compareownerholidayrentals.com/ I couldn't connect to the site just now using Safari, but could with IE.