Help - what should I do?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Loopy Lou

Help - what should I do?

Post by Loopy Lou »

I received an enquiry on 16th Jan for both my existing gites for one week 28th July - 4th August which I said I would hold for a week, and I have just received an enquiry for both gites for two weeks 21st July - 4th August. I have said on my website that preference is given in high season to two week bookings, but how on earth do I handle this? How do I respond to the second enquirer without potentially losing the booking?

I've emailed the first to press them for a decision saying that I am receiving enquiries for the week in question.

Oh good grief! :shock:

LL
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I never hold anything for more than 3 days max, but if I say I will hold the place I always keep to my word. It is difficult with bookings, but even though I prefer 2 week ones (who doesn't??) I never turn a booking down. I think you should make it clear that you either only accept 2 week bookings (and for this you need to make the dates or the fortnights clear) or you take bookings as they come.

EDIT
You have to remember it is YOUR business Lou, you are the one who makes decisions, you have no-one to answer to (except perhaps your conscience!) so do what you want! As long as you can live with the consequences (for example rejecting a probable booking on the basis of having received an enquiry which may not generate a booking), then taking risks occasionally is all part of the fun of being your own boss!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I would answer the enquiry...after all your not BOOKED yet..
as we all know this could come to nothing.... :(

Reply as you normally would...chances are by the time the second ones have made up theyre mind youll know for certain about the first.....
Then you could say that someone who had previously enquired have now booked
[which is true theyve only enqired..not booked]and try to offer them alternate dates
Dont lose the 2nd enquiry/booking while your not sure of the first.
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Boy is it difficult juggling these bookings - and I'm adding another gite to the mix! I have emailed the first enquirer so I suppose I should at least give him a day to reply.

I will email the second enquirer telling them that I have an enquiry for the second week they propose, that I have got back to him to ask him to either confirm or not, and will get back to them immediately I hear, within the next two days. And I've offered them alternative dates in August.

I hope this works. No doubt it will become easier with time, I pray.

Thanks for your suggestions, my friends. I'll get back to my fingernails and tranquilisers now.

LL
Louise
Ju

Post by Ju »

I agree with Susan, I only hold for 48 hours following an enquiry. however if they say they definately want to book, I send a booking form and allow two weeks for it to be returned.

I think if you have told someone you will hold for a week then you should stand by that, but it doesn't stop you chasing them (not too much though!).

Remember you will get many more enquiries than bookings. Make sure you treat them differently!

Ju
debk

Post by debk »

No doubt it will become easier with time, I pray.
Indeed! :)

Always keeping things tightly closed will help, which gets easier once you have to deal with a few of these situation. Something like this ...
never hold anything for more than 3 days max
... really helps. Multiple inquiries are going to happen and if you always follow your own rules (whatever they may be, 3 days max hold, 4 days, whatever) you don't have to worry.

As Ju wisely says, enquiries [sic] 8) and bookings are different.

Hopefully, inquirers will know that nothing is confirmed unless you RECEIVE their money within those 3/4/? days. In the meantime, you can keep replying quickly to all inquiries, knowing just what to say should an overlap occur.

(I have a 72 hour window for guests to make payment. If I receive an overlapping inquiry during that time, I reply right away saying I have a possible booking but if payment is not received by "X" , at that time I can send them payment information and provide the same 72 hour window. I've never had anyone turn that offer away... and, though it is rare for someone to not pay within their 72 hours, when it happens the wait-listed guest does tend to pay very promptly.)

All of which makes me think: Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other situation in which someone can ask a seller to not sell something while the potential purchaser goes away, free and clear, and deals with unknown issues on their end. Can anyone else?
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi Deb,

What payment system do you use?

LL
Louise
debk

Post by debk »

WorldPay. I just explained it in a separate thread a few minutes ago. See the PayPal discussion for more info.

Also, I forgot to tell you CONGRATS for the inquiries! :)
debk
roxytoo

booking

Post by roxytoo »

Whilst not wishing to hijack your thread Loopy lou I am in sort of the same situation, my own fault really as I keep forgetting to put a time limit on things! Had a booking Friday 12th who said she would send the deposit, nothing as yet, emailed her Friday just gone to say I had recieved nothing, no answer, today I get an enquiry which overlaps her dates............

I really MUST put a time limit in but how to word it as to not offend or get anyones back up? And how long is ok? 7 days is really too long this time of year so maybe I should go with the others and say 4 days?
debk

Post by debk »

I really MUST put a time limit in but how to word it as to not offend or get anyones back up? And how long is ok? 7 days is really too long this time of year so maybe I should go with the others and say 4 days?
Fortunately, I don't think any serious renter is going to be offended that they have to pay for your place in a timely fashion so that you can manage all your inquiries equitably.

Better yet, as long as you clearly explain how things work, there should be no problem. Guests will appreciate it, quite the opposite of getting their backs up! :)

Just be straightforward. Off the top of my head, something like: "This reservation will be held for 72 hours. (Late payments will be subject to re-validation of availability; any associated refund processing costs are your responsibility.)"

If they are paying by bank transfer, have them email you immediately afterwards with the bank confirmation number... and remind them to follow up with you in 72 hours to confirm payment was received.

If they are sending a check, you will need to give more than 72 hours. [I hated payment by checks. The worst. Took forever to clear!]

Just some thoughts. Hope that helps,
debk
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

From sending the booking form I give 5 working days for the deposit to arrive....(hijacked the following sometime ago from someonelse on LMH). I hold the booking strictly for 5 working days....in the meantime if I get an enquiry for the same dates, I reply saying that the dates are 'provisionally booked' pending deposit and that I will contact them either way to let them know whether the dates are available. So far...all deposits for my bookings have been made within 5 working days.

"IMPORTANT: This provisional reservation will only be held for five working (5) days. If payment is not received within this time, we will assume that you no longer wish to book, therefore please do not make payment after 5 days without first double-checking availability with us again. (If you pay outside of this timeframe and a refund is subsequently required due to unavailability, all refund processing costs will be your responsibility.)!
debk

Post by debk »

someonelse on LMH
looks like mine... glad it's working for you, too. :) i love this place!
debk
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

our policy now is unless the enquiry turns into a booking within 3 days we will take any subsequent enquiry/booking.... remember our feeling is a lot of people make multiple enquiries without making any firm commitment to a booking, so we tend to force peoples hand by also saying the week in question has already received enquiries so it would be wise not to pontificate(like that word)!! we've just had the whole of august and last week of july booked after a discussion with an enquirer last night, when we said the weeks were in demand he booked it on the spot....deposit on its way. a little bit of poker play can sometimes help, and as was said earlier its your business so its best to have a firm rule on timescales of enquiries turning in to bookings
chef who will try anything!!
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi All,

I have given the first enquirer until this evening to respond and told the second enquirer that I will get back to them this evening. Fingers crossed that I haven't lost both (if I had them in the first place!).

Thanks for all your advice, everyone. Invaluable as always.

Chris, I think you mean prevaricate - another good word.

A bientot,

Lou
Louise
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oxford dictionary: prevaricate - " 'speak or act evasively or misleadingly' - often confused with procrastinate"

procrastinate - " 'defer action; be dilatory' - often confused with prevaricate"

:wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be