eurorelais

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Garri wrote:
how does one increase one’s bookings?
Alan, I got 3 letters for you: XML ;-)
Would they be eXtra Multiple Lettings?

Alan
marcus

Post by marcus »

I pretty much doubt whether Alan (or any other private rental owner) studying XML would help his personal bookings. Even if we all manage to generate xml feeds for our property no one is going to be very interested in them.

That's not to say xml isn't fab, just not in this context. For eurorelais etc distributing data to lots of sites xml is ideal of course.

The other stuff in recent threads - links, blog link exchanges, good look at statistics etc probably all would help though.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Even if we all manage to generate xml feeds for our property no one is going to be very interested in them.
I wouldn't be too short-sighted. It depends how it's packaged, like anything else I suppose - you have to be creative.

My response to Alan was of course tongue in cheek ;-)
Maxd

Post by Maxd »

marcus wrote:I pretty much doubt whether Alan (or any other private rental owner) studying XML would help his personal bookings. Even if we all manage to generate xml feeds for our property no one is going to be very interested in them.

That's not to say xml isn't fab, just not in this context. For eurorelais etc distributing data to lots of sites xml is ideal of course.

The other stuff in recent threads - links, blog link exchanges, good look at statistics etc probably all would help though.
Yes, I am not saying you get an xml feed for a mum and pop site, heh you would have a hard time trying to hawk that out :)What I mean is that you should look at companies who do use XML because if they have a good affiliate program your property could appear on 100's of sites. So it is a good question to ask when signing up.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

What exactly is a 'mum and pop' site?
Garri

Post by Garri »

What I mean is that you should look at companies who do use XML because if they have a good affiliate program your property could appear on 100's of sites.
It's interesting really because listing sites can't offer that sort of distribution - they're tied to the subscription model.

With all the big listings sites being bought by Home Away it's just canabilsation of virtually the same content across a load of sites.

The beautiful thing from their point of view is they're getting people to pay to be on a 'variety' of listings sites that are in actual fact owned by the same company.

You have to agree that is genius stuff ;-)
Last edited by Garri on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
marcus

Post by marcus »

What exactly is a 'mum and pop' site?
a site run by everyday folk for their corner shop, gite, little business etc who know what they are doing in their own business and want a website, but have no idea about the big wide world of SEO and websites etc...

...and are mystified when the site doesn't appear at the top of google for 'gite' or 'cheap software' etc a fortnight later
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Thanks Marcus,
I know what to call mine now! :oops:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Yay...me too Susan, anyway I quite like the sound of that 'my little Mum and Pop site', sounds personal and that's what we're all about :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Mmm...think our site is doing just fine on the SE's considering it's a 'mum and pop site'! :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :wink: ,

Well I wish I had even a 'Mum & Pop 'site....

mines a 'Ros might get round to it site'...then again probably not :( ....

All your sites are great BTW and I am in awe of all the work youve done on them and you all seem to do well...
so good on ya :!: :wink:

Maybe you could start a website with all the great ones on...
OH!.... you have its called ....Your Holiday Matters :shock: ...

Like a normal Renting Listing Site but with Morals and Standards

[or maybe that a bit Mum and Popish for some :o ]
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Crystal wrote:Mmm...think our site is doing just fine on the SE's considering it's a 'mum and pop site'! :D

Agree Crystal - I saw you mention that you get most of your bookings that way; this prompted me to have another look at your website, which is great, and now e-Richard has schooled me a bit in the art of tagging/key words, you must be doing all the right things - hope we can have a similar track record one day, but if there are any particular secrets you'd like to share, just to speed things up a little.... :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Maybe you could start a website with all the great ones on...
OH!.... you have its called ....Your Holiday Matters ...
Hi PC : :)love the inclusion... & Enid :) Love the avatar

Glad that YHM is getting some well deserved coverage

after all we rattle on about the others enough :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ros wrote:Well I wish I had even a 'Mum & Pop 'site.... mines a 'Ros might get round to it site'...then again probably not :( ....
Ros - quickly! Get your own website and come on in - the water's lovely!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Gasc Thanks :oops:

I dont think Id be eligible but I am flattered :wink: really :oops: ......
Its a Great Site and a Credit to you all...

Anyway I couldnt belong to a club/site that would have the likes of me as a member :wink: :roll: :lol: