It's started again already...

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Sue Dyer

It's started again already...

Post by Sue Dyer »

Well, the season has begun for us. Happy to have the money flowing into the bank but unhappy not to be able to use the cottage ourselves. We have a great social life up there and a few people trying to persuade us to move there full time. We spent quite a bit on renovations last year so letting as much as we can to make that back. Hopefully in a year or two we can step back a bit and just let out peak season.

I'm amazed at my off peak bookings. Only Feb 24th left (and I'm trying to persaude Dave to take that ourselves), all of March gone, only 1 week in April taken so far and most of May/June. What is going on in Northumberland?? It seems to be the place to go!!

So, back to the changeovers, ironing etc. Roll on November!
(I must be the only one to complain about too many bookings, some folk are never happy!!)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hello Sue,

Well done you - looking very popular! Just had a quick look at your site and it's very very comprehensive and very friendly - no wonder everyone's booking to go there!

Just a few things - on your rates page it says 'Today's date February 11th 2005'!! And on your photos page at the bottom, it says click on the sub-categories but there doesn't appear to be any links to anything............

Otherwise it looks fab - you've done a lot on there since I last looked!!

Kathy
Maxd

Post by Maxd »

Hi Sue, well done. What is your advertising stratergy? I also have found the last year or 2 bookings up first part of the year, infact stats say 40% better in January.

Our reasons are better marketing, getting on every possible site, lots of repeat custom and our own sites that rank on search engines.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thanks Kathy. Must look into the date thing??!!

Maxd. I only advertise on 2 online listing sites and a couple of free ones I never seem to get anything from. Costs me about £150 per year. My neighbours in the village struggle for bookings but they don't have a website, I find that clinches a lot of deals. I feel I offer a quality product at reasonable rates. I don't get hung up on google rankings etc or keywords but seem to do okay in searches for cottages/northumberland.
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

sue ..do you think perhaps people are getting more discerning about their holidays, and looking at 'undiscovered 'areas....then seeing there is loads of history in the area...castles etc, lots of uncrowded and unspoilt beaches...alnmouth,sugar sands,amble,new attractions like the alnwick gardens , and a big plus...a big county with not a fraction of the traffic elsewhere?a while since i was up there but the memories are still strong(mustn't forget all the wildlife and lindisfarne area as well)??
chef who will try anything!!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I agree Chris, but Amble?? :shock: The local weekly paper is filled with details of crime waves in Amble. Last year the town Christmas tree went up and the day later the lights had been nicked off it. There is lots of trouble with boy racers, vandalism and general loutish behaviour... Give me Seahouses any day!!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I've checked out the rates page and it is correct when I view the date??!!

I'll do the photo links things. Having trouble with FTP at the mo.
enid

Post by enid »

Well done Sue - jealous - who me?????!!!!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Happy C/O's Sue...
Cheers
PC
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Sue I think your place is lovely - some holiday cottages in the Uk tend to look a bit neglected according to my sister-in-law who regular uses them for her holidays, I'm sure that makes a lot of difference. And if you find a place thats well presented (& obviously loved) you want to return.

Also - aren't the tourist board currently doing a lovely TV advert for the North East? So possibly that's helping promote the area to newbies?

Mouse
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

sorry sue been away from the area for quite a while....so amble is not the 'outpost of exotica' it use to be???!!your right....seahouses, beadnall?? lovely beaches and use to have a lovely campsite the other side of the road from the beach??please don't tell me its now a holiday complex??
chef who will try anything!!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Yes Mouse. OneNorth East (the money behind tourism) are doing a huge campaign on TV and in the Sundays. We work alongside them at Sustrans (my work) to produce cycling maps and brochures so I have a bit of input to that marketing, which is great!

I think the thing re bookings/google rankings etc is one thing but to hit the nail on the head Lily Cottage is a labour of love for us. I am so proud of having a second home and how we have presented it. I'm sure you guys all feel the same but it gives me a warm glow everytime we get great comments from guests.

(I was thinking of putting a sticker in my window here "My other house is a cottage" :lol: )
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Sue Dyer wrote:We work alongside them at Sustrans (my work)
And, as a born-again cyclist, I appreciate the work that you do for us. I've just got back on the bike this week after a long layoff. It's amazing how going back after about six months is "like riding a bike" with traffic and whatnot, but my nether regions are taking time to adjust even with the padded lycra (hidden under cords!).

John
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thank you John. We get knocked a lot at Sustrans but I think a lot of people don't realise we are a charity. We get blamed for the state of some cycle paths by folk who don't know they are local authority and not ours.

We have a cycle tourism officer for the region and it is amazing how many people want to make cycling part of their holiday. I get stopped in the pubs and shops and asked for maps/booklet top ups for B&B's, craft shops etc! Never off duty!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hey Sue, just had a nosey, your cottage is lovely and guess what......I saw my Mum's (well not hers obviously) mincer that I was talking about before, hers is green not red. I bet she has stuff that I could donate to your kitchen museum, namely out of date dried stuff in the back of the cupboards :lol: Last time I looked far in the depths of her cupboard I found some suet mix from about 1970 :shock:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm