Washing machine?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
KTE

Washing machine?

Post by KTE »

Hello,

I'm just looking for some opinions from you experts please! Does a 2 bedroomed (sleeps 6) apartment in Europe need a washing machine? If it was going to attract more than one extra booking then I'd definitely go for it, but this year is the decider as to whether we let the apartment out for subsequent years and it's very possible that shelling out for a washing machine would put us in the red if it doesn't make a difference to bookings.

Thanks!

Katy
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Katy and welcome to Lay My Hat!

I would say definitely yes to a washing machine and even more importantly I think, a dishwasher.

Kathy
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Hi, a definite yes to a washing machine!

I didn't have a freezer originally and one guy wanted to book for 2 weeks but only if I had a freezer. I bought a small benchtop one and really glad I did. I haven't got space for a dishwasher and a tumble dryer. They'll just have to hang their washing in the garden alongside my prayer flags! :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

A couple of questions:-
What do your competitors offer? If I was going to stay in an apartment, I don't think I'd expect a washing machine as there is persumably no outside space to dry the washing and no tumble dryer.

What market are you aiming to attract? I have washing machines in all my gites and they are mainly used and appreciated by families with young children, other than that I think most people who stay appreciate the dishwasher more.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You could try a combined washer/dryer if there's no where to hang laundry, but I'm not sure they're very reliable. We've a dishwasher and a washing machine in our 1 bedroom apartment, the washing machine is in the bathroom. If I had to choose between the two on a property, I'd go for the dishwasher, however, if I was going away with small kids, or doing active sports, I'd want a washing machine.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

We've had the same problem before we had the freezer when a guest arrived with two weeks frozen food. It was a family with lots of kids and I think that it was a combination of cost saving and mum refusing to cook on holiday.

Fortunately, the cleaner and the key lady between them took in all the food and delivered it back in stages.

We now have a freezer, which is tucked away with the tumble drier right at the end of our conservatory/dining room. The cottage description does say where it is but we've had at least one guest who discovered it as she was leaving!

John
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Despite a small apartment the kitchen planners managed to squeeze in a large fridge with separate freezer compartment, 4 ring hob, and a dishwasher.My only complaint is the tiny oven, which I still haven't got round to sorting out.
KTE

Post by KTE »

Thanks everyone for your advice! We don't have room for a dishwasher but there is space for a washing machine in the bathroom, and since many of our competitors have a washing machine I think we'll bite the bullet and get one installed.

Katy
Goosey

Post by Goosey »

Are you sure you don't have space for both? We thought that, then we put the washing machine on top of the dishwasher. They both work fine like that. :)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I second the idea of a washer/dryer combo. I was going to put one in my own apartment, and my research a few years ago indicated that LG and Miele both made reliable models. I didn't end up getting one, though, because neither were available in the U.S.

However, if I were on vacation, I wouldn't want to deal with hanging laundry out to dry, and I would be washing clothes infrequently enough that the longer cycle of a combo machine wouldn't bother me.
Brooke
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I don't know if they have improved but I had a washer/dryer at one stage. It was a real hassle as it would wash a full load of washing but only dry half a load. The drums on them aren't as large as a dryer so it can be time consuming if you wanted to dry a couple of loads of washing. As I say, this was some time ago and I don't know what is on offer now.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sue, for a regular washing machine, I agree they are a pain, but they would be OK for a holiday home. My underfloor heating makes sure my washing dries quickly though. As it is hot water rather than electric, it costs nowt, so we just turn it up in the bathroom overnight to dry the clothes.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Brooke, I'm curious, is it very uncommon in the US to dry washing on the line? Would it really be that big a turn off for potential US guests to have no dryer in a holiday home?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I wondered that too LV.

I think one of the nicest things to do when you live in a lovely natural environment (not a smog bound city) is to have your clothes drying in the sunshine....soaking up all those fresh smells.

Mouse (who gave her dryer away as she never had one & thought it definately wasn't eco friendly :) )
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Yes we all love the scent of fresh-drying laundry, it's lovely, but when you take it down it's as stiff as boards, and your towels are like sandpaper!

Sorry, but much as I'm a traditionalist, I have a tumble drier in the garage as well. If folk don't want to use it that's up to them.
(But it's ever so clever, it uses fuzzy logic to stop itself when things are spot-on iron dry. The Memsahib wants one in England now!)

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.