Cancelled Booking

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
vinent20

Cancelled Booking

Post by vinent20 »

Hi,
This is a first for me.
We have just received a booking cancellation for August 2007.
The reason is not important, however the email from the renter suggests that as there is enough time for us to readvertise so he would like his deposit back.
The site and all the info clearly says "25% non-refundable"
Do I..........or don't I............??????
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

We recently discussed this in another thread
viewtopic.php?t=3585

If it is stated in your terms and conditions that the deposit is non refundable, then you are within your rights to keep it. However, there are some interesting points made in the other thread about why you might want to refund (especially as you are very likely to re-let).
Alan Knighting

Re: Cancelled Booking

Post by Alan Knighting »

vinent20 wrote:Hi,
This is a first for me.
We have just received a booking cancellation for August 2007.
The reason is not important, however the email from the renter suggests that as there is enough time for us to readvertise so he would like his deposit back.
The site and all the info clearly says "25% non-refundable"
Do I..........or don't I............??????
What does this guy think a non-refundable deposit is? Does he want to have his cake and eat it? Even "bears with small brains" take out holiday insurance including cancellation provisions, or do they?

If you do re-let for August by all means think about refunding his deposit, if you don't my answer would be "no way".

Fluffy
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Non-refundable means just that. If they have a good reason to cancel , they should have holiday insurance.
You may re-let, but may have to reduce your price.If so, keep the deposit. If you relet at full price, consider refunding a proportion of the depoist, and deducting some redavertising costs, or admin charge.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I see things differently, so early in the year I would definitely refund the deposit if I was able to re let. Cancellation insurance is fine but can be a buggar to make a sucessful claim (been there and done it) :evil:

Your situation may be different but for me to 'free' the calandar and wait for another booking, costs nothing and if it happens then personally I don't want to make money out of someone elses misfortune so would happily return the deposit. I do understand the comparisons to the 'big boys' not refunding deposits but I really don't like to make that analogy at all, most of us would be happy to point out the advantages of booking a holiday with independant owners as opposed to travel companies, one of the key things for me being flexibility and that 'human' side that is lacking in large companies.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I personally cannot compare myself with travel companies when it suits and not when it doesn't. Am just off now to hide under the duvet from the onslaught of those who disagree :shock:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Paarty,
I was just about to post the same thing! I see no justification in having the clause 'non-refundable deposit' in my T's and C's. If you look at the 'big boys', they do not refund the deposit on the basis of having to cover third party contractor costs and their own costs, which as you have quite rightly pointed out, are minimal if you do the letting yourself. How much does it cost to write a couple of e mails and update availability? Even a few of the 'big boys' refund the deposit for early bookings, which presumably they know they will have no trouble re-letting.
I offer no guarantee of alternative accommodation should the guest arrive and hate it here - equally I have no control over the transport and offer no ATOL guarantee to get people home in the event of a problem.
If it was me, I probably wouldn't think of taking out travel insurance until a couple of months before the holiday either. And you are not covered for cancellation in all cases, there are several exclusion categories!

My Ts and Cs state that the deposit is refundable if the property is re-let at the original price, minus appropriate admin charges.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Why shouldn't we cost our time spent on wasted bookings? REgardless of the rights and wrongs, the guest accepted these conditions at the time of booking.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Partridge wrote:Your situation may be different but for me to 'free' the calandar and wait for another booking, costs nothing and if it happens then personally I don't want to make money out of someone elses misfortune so would happily return the deposit.
Well said, Party. I agree wholeheartedly, and this early in the season there is a good chance of reletting.

I want happy punters to come back regularly (hopefully), so if I can make things easier for them, at no great cost to myself, then I am more than happy to do so.

In my view, I think there is often more to be gained in goodwill from returning a deposit than there is from keeping it.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

HelenB wrote:Why shouldn't we cost our time spent on wasted bookings? REgardless of the rights and wrongs, the guest accepted these conditions at the time of booking.
I don't think anyone would deny a 'reasonable' admin charge, but for me cancellations are few and far between, e mails don't take a minute to write and I don't have to pay to post them either. If my time was that valuable I wouldn't spend so much of it posting on this forum!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes,but only provided you are certain of getting another booking for the dates. I think holding on to the deposit until another booking is obtained is fair enough, or you could offer them alternatives dates?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Always keep the deposit until you have another confirmed booking and if you don't get the original price, deduct that amount from the deposit.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Yes,but only provided you are certain of getting another booking for the dates. I think holding on to the deposit until another booking is obtained is fair enough, or you could offer them alternatives dates?
I agree :wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Fortunately I have not had to deal with a cancellation yet.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

And with a heated swimming pool like the one on show at your website, I bet you won't have many, Helen. Looks yummy!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I offer no guarantee of alternative accommodation should the guest arrive and hate it here - equally I have no control over the transport and offer no ATOL guarantee to get people home in the event of a problem.
If it was me, I probably wouldn't think of taking out travel insurance until a couple of months before the holiday either. And you are not covered for cancellation in all cases, there are several exclusion categories!
Thanks Susan, I knew there were other comparisons with the big boys but the brain is still a bit fogged from my cold and they wouldn't come to me :lol:

Jenny, I agree, far better to have 'happy' cancelled guests who may come another time.

Helen, yes, I agree to holding the deposit until and if a replacement booking happens. Having said that, if I had a cancellation 7 months before and couldn't re book it I would still refund the deposit but then again I ask for a smaller deposit than 25%...hmm wonder what the big boys deposit is :?:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm