The 2 Weekers

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
ginelli

The 2 Weekers

Post by ginelli »

I can't count the number of enquiries I've had now for 2 week bookings. I've followed the trend of giving 1 week prices only. People usually enquire to the ring of something like "please confirm these dates are available and price (ie. c'mon, surely you can knock off a bit!)

As the trend again, I tell them the price is double the one weekly rate and BAM!, they're gone. I mean, I've had 8 or 9 bookings for 1 week but sweet nada for two.

I can't help myself starting to question this approach. I can hear voices tell me stuff like "Hold out" and "Hang on", but I am wondering whether a better strategy would be to raise the one weekly rate slightly (and only slightly!) so that a little discount can be given for 2 weekers. People do seem to love any kind of discount and it could be quite an effective dealbreaker. For my part, it would wrap up all that "enquiry time" (it's my first year and I'm starting to understand the importance of conversions) a damn lot quicker :evil:

Does anyone feel the same or have any opinions about this?
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've booked quite a lot of accommodation over the past few years. Other than a package deal, with inclusive flights, I have never been offered a discount for two weeks. I assume if they don't mention it on their website or listing that it doesn't exist. My enquiries nearly always ask me to confirm the price as well as availability, even for one week.
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

That's fair enough HelenB, but what do you think of what I have just said from the point of view of having another sales tool at your disposal?
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It's definitely a possibility, if you don't outprice yourself compared to other rentals nearby. The alternative would be taking only two week bookings during the peak season.
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Does your market book for 2 weeks, anyway?

www.hide-aways.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No, not usually, but I have had a couple of summer enquiries for two weeks, climbers, mountain bikers etc.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I, like Helen have booked lots of privately owned accomodation over the years and never been offerred a discount on the second week (but then again I've never asked for one!)

In my first 2 years of renting I wasn't asked for a discount on the 2nd week either.

However the other week I was and I refused. The enquirer went away with the usual "I'll ring you back" - after a few of days I was kicking myself for not giving a small discount and securing the booking as it was for 2 weeks in October (not easy to fill in my area).

Then out of the blue, I got an email saying they loved the look of the property & would like to book the 2 weeks and no further mention of the discount.

so now I don't know what to think and I know this doesn't help, I'm just showing sympathy really :?
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

Thats funny... I just finished responding to a 2 week enquiry. I've had a few 2 week rentals and do not offer discounts (its the weekly rate x2). Come to think of it, I've never been asked to discount by those enquiring about a 2 week stay either. 3 weeks maybe..
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I've never had requests for discount on 2 weeks in high season. This is our third year of letting. I have had just a few requests for discounts out of high season, including a request for a discount for a single week at the start of September, which was a bit cheeky I thought! I gave it to her,(5%, the same as I offer returning guests) and she turned out to be a travel agent!
HelenB wrote:It's definitely a possibility, if you don't outprice yourself compared to other rentals nearby.
Helen's advice is good. It's a tricky one and it really depends on how the weeks seem to be filling up so far, since this is your first year Gino, and what the changeover charge you pay is. If you're feeling confident, you could also say, as I do 'priority is given to two-week rentals in high season' - this way, people get to feel that you can pick and choose whom you take, and are less likely, perhaps, to expect a discount for their fortnight?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Gino wrote:
I tell them the price is double the one weekly rate and BAM!, they're gone
My experience, in our gite business and in my 'day job' is that people who expect you to cut your prices are likely to be trouble and you don't want them. That observation may seem harsh but it has 30 years experience behind it. The fact that, when you don't agree to cut your price, they immediately disappear, seems to back this up.

Ask them if they've been able to negotiate prices with Ryanair or Avis on their way to you.

Jim
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

That's true Jimbo, I'm sure. It certainly was the case with the guests I mentioned who got the 5% reduction - and last week I had an enquiry for May Half Term - they came back yesterday to ask for a massive reduction for a ten day stay, which I have agreed to, followed by a long string of questions about the property and how private it is. No, I don't think they plan to turn up with a removal van, but all the same, I'm a bit uneasy to say the least...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

I have to say I've woken up this morning, read these new posts and still feel none the wiser.

I've got another 2 week enquiry! This time for Turkey in August.

"Hi Gino,

Can you tell me if Azur Villa is available from Monday 30/07/07 to Monday 13/08/07 and the cost."

Before I answer, could anyone give me any clever pointers on how to respond to a first enquiry. I mean, this is a very generic enquiry. How to you give an ungeneric response?

At the moment, I answer by saying the property is available, say something tied in with the weather (in this case it will be hot, but the sea is only 50m away and there is air conditioning in the bedrooms), and I invite them to look at my website again. I can't stop getting the feeling I'm missing an opportunity to hook them.

www.hide-aways.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Gino, this is my response to my last enquirer (she booked), but she didn't ask any specific questions about the property either. She did however, ask to book Mon-Mon. I offered her Sun-Sun instead, which she accepted.

Hello E, and thanks for your enquiry. The apartment is available from Sunday 12th August, we only accept weekend arrivals and departures in July and August, to fit in with our existing bookings. We can offer you from 12th-19th at a price of xxx euros. If you wish to book this, go to (link to our online booking calendar)
http://holiday.booking-system.net/Choos ... 6PVQ%3DEDG
and click on the dates you require. There is a 25% deposit payable on booking, and the balance is due 6 weeks before your holiday begins. If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me.
Helen B
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Gino said:
I can't count the number of enquiries I've had now for 2 week bookings. I've followed the trend of giving 1 week prices only. People usually enquire to the ring of something like "please confirm these dates are available and price (ie. c'mon, surely you can knock off a bit!)
Gino, I've had that question as well, and my reaction and answer were the same as yours, but they've still booked. You may find they come back when no-one else will give them a discount either. Certainly in one case I think they were trying it on with a few different owners and getting the same response, and so decided mine wasn't such a bad deal after all. The only discount I gave was for a 3-week booking. From my point of view I think the apartment is already discounted in a way because we allow mid-week bookings, which means we run the risk of losing out on a few days. I'm not sure if I'll do that next year, as altogether I'll have lost a week. On the other hand I do charge a bit more than most people in my area, and I accept that I can't have it both ways. Some one else I know in the area who is sonsiderably cheaper than me but wants Saturday - Saturday bookings has only covered 4 weeks so far.

Difficult to know, but stick to your guns on discounts. I know people who proudly claim that they never pay the full price for anything and ask for discounts whatever it is. I even once overheard somebody trying to get a discount in Tesco.

Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Its interesting to read the different views on this.

I have had numerous enquiries for 1 wk and 2 wks where they ask the cost....I've never thought they were asking for a discount, just wishing to have it confirmed by the owner rather than only seeing it on the website :oops:

I would always reply with;
the cost
the arrival & departure date & time
a little bit of info about the village
and the deposit required to book.
finished with a 'if I can provide you with any further information to help you decide that our property is for you then please don't hesitate to ask'

I've only evr been asked for discount twice; one for 2 wks - I replied that a 2wk let was a standard holiday term that didn't attract any discount. And a 3wk one where I said I would consider a goodwill gesture.

From my point of view it makes no difference if I have 1 or 2 weekers. And perhaps I lean towards having 1 week renters then they are here and gone in a flash which is good if they're causing difficulties.

Gino - if you're struggling for bookings & having 2 wks rental is useful then I would think about offering something other than a cash incentive (as I don't think people who are looking for discounts value them as Jimbo says). Try offering somethin like a free 'luxury' package as a thank you to 2 weekers...it might include things like flowers, cava, small gifts for the kids etc things that cost you very little but save you getting into discounting. Sell that as a benefit...you'll lose the ones who only want the cash - but then thats probably better in the long run.

Mouse
x
Last edited by Mouse on Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!