Bugs!

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Bella

Bugs!

Post by Bella »

Can anyone tell me ( and I'm sure you can) what are the red and black bugs that seem to love to lurch by the door frames?
Are they something I should worry about?

Tina
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Nope - haven't seen those ones in SW France Tina! Not ladybirds are they? :D Our worst bugbears were woodlice, but that little problem was eventually solved. And they are a dreary grey.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

We have a lot of these that come into the house with the firewood at this time of year. I'm not sure what they are, but they don't do any harm (usually the cats get them!)
enid

Post by enid »

They are called gendarmes - a sort of punaise but not smelly like the punaise du bois - the leaf bug.. They seem to spend their time in one long continuous orgy - Kevin has said he wants to return as one!!! Apparently they can make love for up to 30 hours at a time. Harmless though - too tired from all that sex to bother you. :D

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gendarme_(insecte)

Bella

Post by Bella »

gendames, thats them. Cheers all.

Tina
Ann

Post by Ann »

I've loads of these but not as bad as previous years.

I've another problem though. My gite has been infested with dormice and I know I can get help from a professional company at great expense.

I avoided doing anything last year as I found that my guests loved to see these darling little creatures on the wooden beams. Little did I know what damage they could do.

My brother visited later last year and he was deafened by the noise so now I must do something and wonder if there is any advice out there, before the season starts. I know I must put down poison but I don't want the smell that must ensue!

Is there another option please?
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Have you got a cat? Mine keep down the mice population very well!
If you do need to resort to poison, try your Mairie - I can't remember why, but mine supply posion free of charge, a better option than getting a company in to sort out the problem.
I also use mousetraps, not the humane sort, the mice will just come back in again.
I don't really like using poison due to the possible effect on my cats.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Yes, I do have a cat - just a moggy but came down in a private plane from UK as no other airline would carry pets in the autumn (out of season).

In spite of the expense (!) she has earned her keep but these little beasties are in the loft of my gite. I noticed last autumn that they were disturbing the insulation under the roof and therefore decided that they had to be dealt with! I've heard stories of them completely destroying wiring etc.

I think it would be safe to use poison as long as I contain it to the loft area (my gite is just a bungalow).

I'll try the Mairie, as you suggest. Who knows, he may be feeling generous.

Thanks La Vache.
Giulia

Post by Giulia »

Tina wrote
"red and black bugs that seem to love to lurch by the door frames? "
We get a lot of these in Italy. When you open an external door, especially if the place has been closed for a while they rain down in great quantities! Apparently they feed on oak leaves. Last year the bottom of our big oak tree was totally covered with them and it looked red. They are harmless and keep the local bird population happy.
Country life is not for the squeamish!
Giulia
Bella

Post by Bella »

I don't mind bugs, although I'm not keen on spiders, hence if the old man needs a hand with the tank in the attic he can go whistle :)
Since reading the replies, I have now started to notice them clinging together on the lavender. When I flick them off, said old man, thought I was rotten for spoiling their fun lol

Tina