Security issues on USB Flash Pen Drives?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Security issues on USB Flash Pen Drives?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Amazon UK are flogging 2Gb flash drives for between 6 - 8 quid.

Is there any way of password-protecting these gadgets? We use ours the whole time, really useful, but not exactly thrilled about anyone picking one up and browsing through the contents - they're easy to forget and leave lying around.

Or does that mean paying a lot more?

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Mg...off topic sortof but workshoppy hopefully...

Was it you who had bad problems getting Norton uninstalled ...my really really clever fwend Lorna is beside herself at the moment...[and Im beside her so theres not a lot of room]

I said Id try to find out what happened maybe you or GG could give me the link ....Her computers gone all unneccessary now :shock: :(
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Ros, I'm on one of those dodgy African satellite connections at the moment, so not a clue if this will get through, and power just about to go for the day (Mrs MG has said no more pedalling until nightfall), but I think:

viewtopic.php?t=3599

has got the info. No, wrong. Ask GG - she's a whizz with the search thingie.

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks MG for taking the trouble

[espec as you are on your travels by the sound of it....] much appreciated...Ive fwded to Lorna Thanks again Love Ros :wink: :)
e-richard

Re: Security issues on USB Flash Pen Drives?

Post by e-richard »

Mountain Goat wrote:..Is there any way of password-protecting these gadgets? We use ours the whole time, really useful, but not exactly thrilled about anyone picking one up and browsing through the contents - they're easy to forget and leave lying around...
MG
I similalry keep a number of sensitive stuff on these gizmos, and so far, all I've managed to do is password protect individual files or if one is more organized, you can password a zip file. I sometimes worry that these may actually be easier to crack than I assume :shock:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I sometimes worry that these may actually be easier to crack than I assume

e-richard, thanks

I've found some security-protected drives, but it kicks up the price considerably.

Having lost the Win XP Pro admin password on one of our machines, I was a bit unnerved (but relieved) to find the software to unravel all XP passwords is commonly available on eBay for a fiver or so. Our network guy had previously told us to wipe our hard-drive....and so was deeply suspicious of anything from eBay - but it worked fine.

MG