Refund - what do I do?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
alifrank1

Refund - what do I do?

Post by alifrank1 »

I have just had a phone call from a woman who was to go to my apartment with her friend from 19 March - 3 April. Her friend has just been to the doctor and they found a lump and want her to have biopsy, so they have to cancel the holiday. It was quite a lot of money for me, £365 plus I have the damage deposit of £100.

As I've only just started renting, I'm not sure what to do. I asked her to contact the insurance company and give them my address in case they want to write to me. I'm not sure she will be able to get anything back as she is only a friend, but her friend may be able to get a refund.

I will wait to hear from the insurance, but under the circumstances, should I offer the whole lot back? (at the moment she hasn't even asked about a refund, she just phoned to let me know they can't go in case I can relet at short notice). What would others do?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Alifrank1,
I asked her to contact the insurance company and give them my address in case they want to write to me.
I think you have done the right thing. Any responsible holiday maker arranges insurance, including cancellation cover.

I’m sure you are totally sympathetic towards this person’s problems but a non-returnable deposit is just that. Of course, the damages deposit should be returned in full – if they don’t visit they can’t cause any damage.

Fluffy
Jo Tomkinson

Refund?

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

It is their responsibility to have taken out insurance and if they haven't then this is not down to you. Normally insurance covers all the people who would be travelling with the person with medical problem.

What you could do is tell them how sorry you are and that although you are unable to make a refund, you would be happy to accommodate them at a later date (put an end time on it, though, say, 6 months time).

I have done this myself previously and they were very happy with that.

Hope this helps.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Thanks for your replies guys
brenda

Post by brenda »

So sorry to hear of your clients illness Ali but this should not put you out of pocket.

I would expect them to claim off their Insurance. Worth checking that your web site/terms + conditions state that taking out Insurance is mandatory?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Alifrank....

You shouldnt refund the money unless you manage to rebook.....Of course the £100 security deposit should be refunded......
As someone else said you could offer them later in the year ....
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Yes, they have to sign my Terms & Conditions at the time of booking, so I'm fine there.

I spoke to the woman again today and she told me they didn't expect anything back as they will claim off the insurance company (I did tell her I would pop a cheque in the post for the damage deposit though).

She seems quite nice and very reasonable and I get the feeling that once her friend is better, they will rebook.
enid

Post by enid »

Well done that seems like a result then :)