discount morphing

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
A-two

discount morphing

Post by A-two »

Where's that pet peeve thread when you need it. I am coining a new phrase - discount morphing (verb) and discount morpher (noun). You know who you are.

For everyone else, those are the folks (always charming) who negotiate low occupancy discounts for late bookings in low season, then gently morph themselves over a few conversations from 2 adults for "3 or 4 nights at most" into 4 adults and a toddler on a flight schedule that requires a full 7 night stay, early check and late departure.

Does anybody have a smart response to get the 20% discount back into the agreement without offending the discount morpher?

I am more than happy to have them all stay for longer and we're honored they want to extend. It's just the principal of the thing. I feel resentful that they assume it will be OK with me, when I know that good people offer without being asked (twice in the last 12 months) or at least check with me BEFORE they book their flights..

Maybe I ought to take the high moral ground, say nothing and swallow it. I can hear Alan saying heck no, I am not a charity, but something doesn't feel right to me about deducting the discount after the flights are already booked and the guests are expressing great excitement in anticipation of the perfect vacation.

Please send scripts. Something witty to get the point across would be great.
Last edited by A-two on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waves from America
Rocket Rab

Re: discount morphing

Post by Rocket Rab »

Joanna wrote:something doesn't feel right to me about raising rates after the flights are already booked and the guests are expressing great excitement in anticipation of the perfect vacation.
In common parlance (UK 8) ), this is known as a bummer.

No easy solution, unless you have a degree in diplomacy and sliver-tongued (or even silver-tongued) negotiating skills ...

Small consolation, I know, but I would sit with you in the bite-the-bullet camp and then go find a lonesome canyon and holler loudly .... at least you have the satisfaction of the high moral ground :D
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Hi Joanna

I think I would feel aggrieved too and would try to recoup some at least of the discount. I don't know whether these people have done ALL of those things ie extra people/longer stay/early in/late out or just a couple. Let me know and I'll attempt to put on my 'diplomatic' head, although I'm not actually sure where it is :oops: :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Joanna wrote:
I feel resentful that they assume it will be OK with me
Partridge wrote:
I think I would feel aggrieved
Hi Joanna

'Mission creep' can happen in any business and it's an unpleasant thing. Some people aren't shy about taking liberties and, just because they do it in a nice way, doesn't make it any more palatable.

Your gut feeling is always your best guide. My uncle Herbert had a saying that, if somebody upset him, he would 'take it out on the offender's nose'. I think that reducing the discount, even at this late stage, would be a reasonable way to go.

Jim
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Jimbo wrote: I think that reducing the discount, even at this late stage, would be a reasonable way to go.
No doubt about that in my books, either, but then it gets tricky..how to do it without offending the guest or looking like you're going back on an agreement? That's the bit I couldn't figure out. Maybe some good old-fashioned straight talking is in order 8)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Dear........Tryeroner

Thanks you for your booking for 3 nights plus 1 night plus another 3 nights.....for 2 people plus another 2 and half of one....
Its a shame that you werent stopping for a week instead of 3 +1+3 days as this would be a cheaper rate......

As it is I will have to charge you 2 lots of the 3 day rate...[that you had booked previously]plus a pro rato rate for the extra 1 day.

Each extra person has a additional charge of X and the half a person v...
as you have booked for 2 lots of 3 days and then 1 day there will be 2 extra cleaning charges.....

Of course there will be an additional charge for early arrival and late departure......and you will be expected to share the bed with the person already occupying it..[snoring is extra]

There is also Jat to be added on[joanna added tax]to the final bill...

Yours Imtryingtorunabusinesshere..

Joanna

All tongue in cheek of course.... :wink: :roll: :lol:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Ros wrote: There is also Jat to be added on[joanna added tax]to the final bill...
JAT - hee, hee, love it, Ros!

You and me are on an early-morning straight-talking roll :D
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Jenny Penny your up early :shock:

Im just really surprised :o [and secretly chuffed] that Joanna has asked our opinion....[I expect Judge Judy will be emailing me next :o ]
Shes one of my mentors/idols...
and I always think shes got all the answers[in a nice way of course] ...
sometimes when your actually in a situation its harder to see the wood for the trees though.....

But of course my contribution is not that valuable......just thought it might raise a smile :wink: :) :lol:

I just know she will do the right thing in the end :wink:
Last edited by Big Sis.. on Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
enid

Post by enid »

I think you have to write to say how pleased you are that they are extending the stay and then point out that the 20% disciunt was for a certain size party and a certain number of people and therefore with the revised booking the revised price will be whatever. I do think you have to stop discount morphers in their tracks (love the phrase by the way.)
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Sorry Joanna but you of all people know the answer to this one.
You have to be blunt, discount was given based on 2 people for 3 to 4 days. Contract has now changed
Nessie
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

enid wrote:I think you have to write to say how pleased you are that they are extending the stay and then point out that the 20% disciunt was for a certain size party and a certain number of people and therefore with the revised booking the revised price will be whatever.
Joanna, here's to betting that your guests are actually expecting you to do this - and are possibly even surprised you have not done so far.

They may not, however, chase you up about it!
Taff2

Post by Taff2 »

Contract has now changed
Hi Joanna

My two bobs worth.

I have to agree with Nessie and Enid.
Your renters have changed the terms on which you've
calculated the rental rate so the rate now needs to reflect
that. Reasonable people should appreciate that. :o

The only times I've had to deal with this situation
the unreasonable ones were family and friends (who dont think
its a real business anyway :evil: )

best of luck
Ian
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Rocket Rab wrote: They may not, however, chase you up about it!
They could have at least said in their email "we realise that there will be an increase in the rate to take account of our revised requirements blablabla", to make it a bit easier for you, Joanna. But if they haven't paid the original balance yet I'd go with Enid's suggestion; if they decide to cancel (I'm sure they won't, they've booked their flights and are looking forward to coming) I guess you haven't lost a fortune, and wouldn't have wanted guests who'd cancel for those reasons anyway. They won't though - I am sure they are expecting an adjustment. You are worrying unnecessarily I think - but we'd all react the same way.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Joanna :) ...

All good advice from the more sensible ones of us[as always] :wink: .....
I have had this from both ends a Mother who forgot how many children she had...[easymistakertomaker]..and she ended up with nine in the house[max is eight] dont you just hate that when that happens...you count the kids one day and the next day theres another one....[course she got away with it :evil: ]
Another time someone was staying for a few days and deciding to add a day on said 'Of course I realise this will be extra'...as i had charged her a weeks rent anyway I didnt expect this :o ....but it just shows theres swings and roundabouts...
I do agree with all the comments and as GG said...I would increase the price[theyve booked the flts and are very unlikely to cancel]
as theyve doubled the amount of people and doubled the length of time only morons wouldnt expect an increase...
and you wouldnt want morons would you
[could be a niche market :roll: ]...

Please let us know the outcome.... :wink:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

changed the terms on which you've
calculated the rental rate so the rate now needs to reflect
that.
Some good examples of wording like above and all mentioning the same theme ie change of terms = change of rate. There is no way they should be offended by a change of rate seeing as they do not feel they have offended you by a change of terms.

'As the original booking for XYZ has now changed to ABC, which is no problem at all, it is however necessary to accordingly review the charge which will now be X to refelect the changes in the booking'
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm