discount morphing

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi Joanna. I think Party has just about summed it up. You knew,deep down, when you aired this that it just wasn't right to let them take advantage so the sooner you write the e-mail the better. You're just being too nice for your own good !!That's my 2 cents worth :lol: :wink:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I agree with the views expressed too and think you should charge them.

I can empathise with you Joanna - I was placed in a similar situation by a repeat customer who had been so nice (she wanted 3 more people in the villa, above our occupancy and never mentioned paying!).
I was so annoyed that a) she was prepared to put me in this situation and b) at her lack of manners!

I would certainly reply to them, putting the emphasis on them being aware & you just doing them a favour in confiming the new cost.

Off the top of my head I'd say something like this;

dear XXXX

I'm so delighted that you are now able to stay longer and take full advantage of our beautiful surroundings, and that you will now have friends to share your experience.

As our original agreement on the discount was based on xxxxx
I'm no doubt sure you have been waiting for me to outline the new price to match the change in your circumstances

Based on the new occupancy and the extended stay I'm happy to honour our discount arrangement (2 guests on a 3 day break) and for the additional guests and days I will charge....

etc etc

I agree with GG - they won't cancel & it might teach them not to be so cheeky! They'll probably accept it all with good grace

good luck!
Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Three cheers for Mousie, our 'sliver-tongued diplomat'...

...and resident genius (is it something in the cheese, Mousie?)

What a nice way to set about extracting that due-to-you-dosh...
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

At this rate she'll need a sturdier neck brace! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

She is particularly frothy and fizzy today, GG !
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Magic cheese perhaps? What's your secret Mousie?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

(is it something in the cheese, Mousie?)
Could be RR - I've moved on to a nice chewy emmantal - gives me plenty of time to contemplate :D

Mouse
X
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Got some in the 'fridge, but it's never done my brain any favours - maybe it acts differently on rodents. :?
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Gascony Goat wrote:maybe it acts differently on rodents?
GG, don't you think that term is a little, well, disparaging for a silver-tongued diplomat and genius??
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

RR, there is no getting away from the fact that Mouse is a rodent - but not just any old rodent, a silver-tongued diplomat and genius of a rodent! :D
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm a 'call a spade a spade' type of mousie but RODENT does have such a common ring to it! :shock:
I'd prefer to be known by my latin name ... Mus musculus; such a romantic ring to it don't yeh think? :P

Mouse (who's moving on to goats cheese this evening - which I believe is a particular delicacy eh GG? :))
X
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oh yes, indeedy - delicacy; like that word. :D A good discount on offer at Waitrose at the mo!

Feeble attempt at returning to topic before we all get the naughty step
A-two

Post by A-two »

Great suggestions folks, thanks, everyone contributing something of value. If I have to pick a winner, it's a tie between Ros's response, which is absolutely brilliant at putting someone on notice that they are taking advantage, and Mouse's response, which has to be the perfect tone of voice to inform someone that extra charges are payable. Special thanks to both.

One thing about discount morphers is that they use vagueness as a mechanism to transition from ABC to ABCDE, so you would not expect them to say that extra people "will come", rather they "may not come" or if they do, "only for a night or two". That can only be read as "likely to come" given past history, but still making it impossible to charge in advance for something that may not happen. That's their skill and how they got you into this situation in the first place.

For those of us who can't charge by the night, or by the number of occupants, it's not so clear cut and unfortunately not everyone offers voluntarily. That's not to say that they aren't very nice people, only that they like to think they bought the whole house at half price, not half the house at full price. The thinking is that there's no reason not to use the house to full potential now they got "the deal" and it's not done will any malice aforethought. It's just a very small personality defect. It's not a bug, it's a feature and I probably have it myself in other areas of my life.

In future I think I'm going to spell it out more clearly in advance what criteria triggers any discount being voided, but on this occasion, because I didn't do that in advance, it may not be fair to now impose in hindsight. So, I'm probably going to bite the bullet on this one and put it down to experience, but change my policy for all future bookings.

This is one good reason why it's so important to price right in the first place. Discounts are trouble.

Thanks.
Waves from America
A-two

Post by A-two »

P.S. This is what I sent.

Dear (Guest)
I apologize for the delay in this response, we had a busy week and it was (husband's) birthday today, complete with surprise lunch at (restaurant). It was excellent, I hadn't been there before as it is new and will let you have details as you might enjoy when you are here.

I'm so delighted that your (relatives) are able to take full advantage of our beautiful surroundings. As our original agreement for the discount was based on 2 or 3 person occupancy, I'm sure you have been waiting for me to outline the new price to match the change in your circumstances. I didn't know you were planning to include your (relatives), but they are all very welcome to stay for as long as they like.

There's no extra charge for a stay of only one or two nights, that's fine. But let's say they decided to make a week of it, and it ended up with all 5 of you staying for the whole 7 days, which they are welcome to do, then hopefully you would be willing to contribute towards the extra expenses we would incurr. The discount for low occupancy was $X, but I would only ask for $(half of it). You don't have to let me know
now, we can settle at the end. Hope this is acceptable and if so, please feel free to change the number of occupants on the agreement as you suggest.

By the way, I have stair gates, high chair, graco pack n play travel cot available and a small selection of toddler toys (duplo etc.) at no extra charge.

Best Regards

_________

So in the end, I borrowed from Mouse, listened to everyone else and took the middle path.
Waves from America
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Joanna,

I really like your Mouse/LMH-inspired response.

What a great thread: it's a lovely example of how an initial idea/problem gets bounced around -- pinball springs to mind-- and comes out the chute at the other end shrinkwrapped and ready to go on the supermarket shelf. Nice teamwork, folks

P.S.: Do you really spell incurwith the extra 'r' in the States? On second thoughts, just ignore that! Interest in double 'r'-s is too sad for words, but then I am known to some as RR :D
Last edited by Rocket Rab on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.