Interesting Article

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
enid

Post by enid »

I do agree that if you enjoy the property then that is a big part of the equation.
Exactly - and like Alan I live here - never expected to live in such a great place. I can't really get too het up about working out whether we have done the right thing or not - this project had different objctives than making money aand there are so many things we can't put a price to. I'm happy that it looks like I have enough money to live my days out here with a few trips to your marvellous holiday homes included. The next generation can worry about selling up :)
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

When we signed on the dotted line for our place, we thought that if we could rent it out enough to pay half of the mortgage on it,we would be very happy. We've got more bookings than we anticipated and now we can't use the house for our summer holiday!! I'm not complaining, taking bookings has become addictive. We had a few weeks left at the end of august that we could have taken but someone came along and wanted to book a week and I just couldn't say no!

I thought about turning the booking away as we will have to pay someone else to stay in their house but I started thinking that they may be a repeat booker and I'm not just turning down a 1 week booking, think of all the other business that may come our way through that one booking.

Am I being naive??
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Am I being naive??
Of course not, you'll get to go somewhere else which you may or may not enjoy as much and your guests may or may not come back but with all things one can but try and maybe you will be better placed should you have to make the same choice next year.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I must admit Im a bit like that...just had an enquiry for both houses in July as ive booked my flts that week for one of the houses
i thought...cant do it...but then remebered nextdoor want to rent a bit[but cant be bothered to do anything about it [even though Ive offered to help]

So...phone call... is your house free...yes how much would it be xxx[half what Im charging per house]....me and Chris might come and stay there July..fine..[so that means that i can stay at their get double back from ours and still do the odd jobds on the Sat changeover]...everyones a winner.... :roll:

See Im silly :wink:in some ways but my mind goes lots of different ways to find a solution....so not in others :wink: :D
linda147

Post by linda147 »

We tend to book our flights a long way in advance to get the best deals so rentals have to fit round our visits. So far it has worked out fine. We originally brought the house for our own use with a bit of rental to cover costs. We have now bought a second house purely for rental. We will stay in either one, we don't mind. It just depends how it works out. Last year I spent 5 weeks in the summer holidays in Spain (I am a teacher) and hubby had 3. Went again October half term and Christmas (which was fantastic). That was the aim to have somewhere to chill out as we both have stressful jobs.
Rentals so far have been quite good but will get more difficult as more people are moving on to the development and wanting to rent out to cover costs. What they don't realise is that it is a lot of hassle and is only really worth it if you do a lot of it. Mind you I am still waiting for my husband to work out exactly how much we need to take in rental income to "break even"!
We are off again for 2 weeks at Easter - can't wait! Only problem is we are on the new house that still has no power or water and I have rented out the other house for the 1st week! Oops should have waited but didn't want to turn a booking away! :(