A Question about cheques in Euros....

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Funny you talk about this. I’ve just had a booking for August from a French family and they want to know if I would accept a cheque, as the transfer fees are very expensive. The cheque will be cashed in Spain and from what you’re saying it may cost me. How much do they charge in France for a transfer?

I returned the security deposit to another customer in France last week and because I had the full IBAN number for the account, it only cost me 2 Euros. I would have paid quite a lot more had I not have the IBAN. This same customer made the rental payment via a transfer and did not even mention it being expensive and he did ask me for the IBAN too. I wonder if having this number is the solution to high fees amongst euro countries.
centime

Post by centime »

Absolutely the IBAN number and transfer is the way to do it, cheques are impossible. I remember seeing that the Euro zone law states that a bank transfer between euro zone banks should be no more than you would pay in your own euro zone country to transfer funds, hence the fees ranging from €1.75 to €0.75 from what I can remember on the ones that I have received. I have not use this method when I receive payment from a UK guest as they deposit straight into my UK GBP account, but the law will apply to these transfers too. All of my other euro payments comes into my Lisbon bank, even the IBAN bank transfer may be cheaper if the US clients instruct their bank to do the transfer correctly although with US payments I usually suggest paypal with the 3.9% added on top.
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Party..

Went in The bank today lloydsTsb and asked about after much scatching of heads and searching on the computer I was told this
Standard charge for paying in £100[or equivilent] £5 each chq.

Over £100 or equivalent 0.25% minimum £15 Maximum £80[per chq]

Im not saying this is right anymore than what you found out was right...but its what i was told....

What i think this means is make sure before you pay anything in check what theyre going to charge you :roll:
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Well that's good old customer services for you Ros and she even went away and checked. This was over the phone to the main customer services bit, so next time I'm in my local Lloyds I'll ask and see if we can add a third scenario :roll: :wink:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Good Idea Party. :!: ..

My one checked as well...took ages..I said I take it this doesnt happen often ..can you imagine this each time someone was paying something in...I asked at the till first then the service counter bit..

My friend who works there wasnt about but I will get her to check as well next time Im in..If they tell you yes Id get them to print it out :roll:

Maybe others can ask at theyre high street banks as well... :roll:
alec

transfers

Post by alec »

Why dont you guys use www.xe.com or similar on the web. Thoroughly reliable and charges are low in comparison to dealing directly with banks etc