Google minus points for capital letters?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Rocket Rab

Google minus points for capital letters?

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi all,

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Google bots don't like capital letters in title tags? Does that ring any bells with anyone?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

'Morning RR

Not sure if this page is a kosher Google webmaster blog, but below the Polish section:

Casing and spacing
Googlebot understands any combination of lowercase and uppercase. So each of these meta tags is interpreted in exactly the same way:

<meta name="ROBOTS" content="NOODP">
<meta name="robots" content="noodp">
<meta name="Robots" content="NoOdp">

MG
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi MG,

Lots of lovely info in that v. useful link, thanks! Polish section, eh? You do travel widely, MG! :wink:

I was in fact referring not to the content (and presentation, i.e. capitals or not) of what I have written inside my meta tags, but to what appears in your browser bar when you view my web page (Ile de Re Holiday Homes) (i.e. inside the title tags; sorry, I probably haven't expressed that very clearly).

I originally wrote that content in capitals, but have changed it back to lower case, recalling a comment somewhere that Googlebot frowns on upper case?

Probably just a malicious rumour and I'm on a thread to nowhere.... :roll:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh, right, I think I understand.

The first dozen or so random 'professional' sites dealing with SEO, and another dozen random sites, all appear to have a mixture of upper- and lower-case for their titles. IMHO capitals give the impression of shouting, so go with the flow?

MG