vast.com

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Actually Ros, there is no copy/paste going on here.

Its just a dumb computer, driven by slightly less dumb programmers (in Serbia by the way) trawling tens of thousands of listing sites and trying to find the common bits among them for pictures, prices, and descriptions.

As we all know each listing site is different, and we all write our descriptions and set out price tables differently so its an almost impossible job for a program to automatically read all these ads and make any sense.

By the way, if you use VAST and do your own search, I suspect, you'll find your properties appearing multiple times - each with different prices, descriptions and details - once for each listing site you appear on - and the more of those freebies you signed up to the more confused Vast becomes.

While, conceptually, I like any help that gets me found, I have looked a bit more at this website and they really get in a tizzle a bit too often for it to be useful. I see failure looming !
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

:lol: as i am on 100 sites methinks there will be a problem............
gh

Post by gh »

Thought I'd check for ours, low and behold we are the proud owners of a Chateau charging $950 per night.

Wow, bring it on :P
Helen
jdabney

Post by jdabney »

Well. I don't see a real problem for my listing on here. It just points straight to Villarenters and everything's fine from there. Of course we'd like to be asked, a bit of good old fashioned politeness! But if it gives greater exposure without telling porkies or getting all the info wrong, as it seems to have done with some, then why not?

Whether it works for them is not our problem! e richard has it right I think.
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

It seems I'm running a special. $57 for Tully house. :shock: I also noticed a 16 bedroom house in Edinburgh that sleeps 5. Hilarious.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Yup! I'm there too! Wrong info, but hey! C'est la vie! I'm getting used to it now!
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

I think they have lifted all of my properties (about 30 of them) I haven't had any click throughs yet to the site from them which I think must be a good thing as most of my places are in San Luis in Arizona and Costa Rica! In fact Ros's is on there loads of times but, as everyone knows, her place is in Costa Rica! And there is a picture of her property on someone elses page! I have a two bed roomed apartment in Campoamor described as a stunning villa at Benijofar and the villa is described as a two bedroom apartment! On some on them, when you click through, the page looks suspiciously like it has been lifted from HR, availability and all, I wonder is that allowed??
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I find I'm there too and it's lifted straight from HR.

Fluffy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

In fact Ros's is on there loads of times but, as everyone knows, her place is in Costa Rica!
Heh Meiska Dont knock it maybe I could book that up to :o :) [this is the joy of having a blank availability calendar :wink: :roll:].......

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I find I'm there too and it's lifted straight from HR.

Fluffy
Well at least yours is staight Fluffs...Most of ours are definitely wonky :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

jdabney wrote:Well. I don't see a real problem for my listing on here. It just points straight to Villarenters and everything's fine from there. Of course we'd like to be asked, a bit of good old fashioned politeness! But if it gives greater exposure without telling porkies or getting all the info wrong, as it seems to have done with some, then why not?

Whether it works for them is not our problem! e richard has it right I think.
Having taken a quick look at the vast.com site I'm not sure I object to it all that much either.

It makes no great secret that it is anything but a recourse of information taken from other sites – a bit like doing one’s own search really.

In effect it simply points to my HR entry.

Fluffy
Ju

Post by Ju »

I've no great problem with the site itself, it is just a search engine.

Trouble is I've now got 14 bedrooms, but only sleep 11 people!!
Donna P

vast.com

Post by Donna P »

Yep, I'm on there as well folks and they have really c**ked it up
My usual description starts with "A world away from mass tourism and the madding crowds" however these clowns have described my property as "The madding crowds"!!
WOW !!!
I''m gonna have 'em flocking in, best book a week off, so I can answer all the e-mails.
Donna :x :x
"Stop the world I want to get off"
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Donna,
I''m gonna have 'em flocking in, best book a week off, so I can answer all the e-mails.
If only! Mazarron may not be the world centre for “madding crowds� but it’s also a long trek from “total tranquillity�. If vast.com brings you some enquiries which you would not have otherwise received why complain?

Ju,

Did they install the extra bedrooms free of charge?

All,

Can anyone explain how vast.com is detracting from what they are doing? It may be inaccurate but it is spreading the word. It is not charging anything for spreading the word and it might just generate an enquiry or two.

Fluffy
A-two

Post by A-two »

Did they install the extra bedrooms free of charge?
Yes, they have an inventory of bedrooms available, amassed from uninstalling bedrooms in other properties. I'm now down to two bedrooms.. :lol:
Taff2

Post by Taff2 »

"Can anyone explain how vast.com is detracting from what they are doing? It may
be inaccurate but it is spreading the word. It is not charging anything for spreading
the word and it might just generate an enquiry or two."

Hi Alan,

IMHO spreading the true word is the object of the exercise.
Most folk aren't as computer savvy as the members here and,
while e-richards explanation of "dumb computers" trawling
for info to build up a database is undoubtedly true, having
to explain to potential guests that the info they based the
initial contact on is inaccurate will surely reflect on the
owner not Vast.com.

cheers

Ian
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.