Am I flogging a dead horse!!!!!!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Foxandsot

Am I flogging a dead horse!!!!!!

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

I've touched on this subject before in a previous thread but just wanted a bit of advice....

I had two enquiries, i took provisional bookings for both. A third enquiry came along and his dates coincided with both initial enquiries. I went back to first two enquiries and asked if they were still interested, one said no and the other didn't respond, so I called her (you still with me! :lol: ). . She said yes she did want to book, sorry she had'nt responded blah blah. She asked for a booking form and payment details. I explained to her that I would need booking form within a few days to secure booking. I then went back to third enquirer to say sorry dates have been booked (and he couldn't do my alternative dates).

Problem is I still haven't received booking form or deposit from 1st enquirer and as I have emailed her and called her already, I feel embarassed and somewhat desperate if I call her again! Shall I just forget about her, in which case I have lost her booking and the 3rd enquirers booking?? Or should I email her again???

Mx
mario

Post by mario »

Why dont you call her and tell her that unless she books the dates have gone as you have someone else,what have you got to lose.
gpck

Post by gpck »

I wouldn't contact her again - it makes it look like you're desperate - even if you are, don't let on.... :wink:

Never count a booking as a booking until you see the money in your bank account - we've have many people filling in our booking form, and we never here from them again, despite a couple of requests for their payment... (when I say many, I mean 2 or 3 - just got a bit carried away!!).

If you've got someone saying they want to book and haven't filled in a booking form or sent a deposit, they're probably too scared to say no they've changed their mind, for fear of upsetting you - always continue to reply to other enquiries until the booking is confirmed.

If the first enquirer comes back to you now, that'll be a bonus, if you get another booking, that'll be even better, as you can then say no, if she does eventually come back to you - she'll learn to be a bit more on the ball next time... :roll:
gpck
anmar1

Flogging a dead horse,

Post by anmar1 »

Hello
i agree with Feather... let her be, I have learnt that long time ago, go on with your booking or maybe you could contact the person who wanted the place ( the one in between) and say that you had a cancellation.
Sometime I do that...sometime it works.

Just two days ago, I was able to convince a lady to book two weeks with us, I conviced her to come to visit the tuscan countryside, instead of going to the tuscan beach.. I do not even know how I did it, maybe the strength of"desperation", well at least she did not feel it, since she had already sent the deposit. I will go out of my way for her and her family.
Cheer up.

Best wishes
Anna
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Personally speaking, time is of the essence, so I would call her and explain that you hadn't received the booking form and that you had another enquiry for the same dates. If she doesn't want to go ahead with the booking, then you can do a quick turn around and call your third enquirer to say the dates are now available....(that is hoping that they have not found something else in the meantime).

I give people 5 days to pay the deposit and return the booking form (I ask for a completed electronic copy to be sent asap and request the signed copy posted to me) that way everyone knows exactly where they stand. From experience people who are really keen to book always send me a completed electronic copy in the return email.

I also put down in my 'booking email':

"IMPORTANT: This provisional reservation will only be held for five working (5) days. If payment is not received within this time, we will assume that you no longer wish to book, therefore please do not make payment after 5 days without first double-checking availability with us again. (If you pay outside of this timeframe and a refund is subsequently required due to unavailability, all refund processing costs will be your responsibility.)"

I pinched this off someone else on LMH (might have been from DebK I think... that paragraph works wonders! :wink: :D )
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

When I get into that situation, I tend to think the worst of people, then lo and behold, the booking form and deposit turn up. Not everybody is as organised as we would like them to be.

It's probably worth making that phone call, as some people really do need to be reminded.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All...
Why dont you call her and tell her that unless she books the dates have gone as you have someone else,what have you got to lose.
What there is to lose is the person whose dallying getting the strop and then not booking[as they had intended to] and then the second enquirer deciding to go elsewhere....

Its tricky Ive had these situations not sooo much this year as ive got a bit more assertive.....

What I would do is contact the people who were interested secondly...and see if theyre still interested if they are email the first and say as I havent got your deposit within the two days that i stipulated I take it your no longer interested.....and Ive had another enquiry.........

But if the second has booked elsewhere still tread carefully with the first.. :roll:

Confused...you will be... :?

Crystal is right Ive started to say something similar and it does seem to work :wink:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I just had a similar thing happen... had to turn away someone very eager to book because the previous inquirers assured me they were sending the contract and payment right away and it was still within their five-day hold period.

When two weeks passed without receiving anything from them I thought I had lost both bookings (wouldn't be the first time), but then, to my surprise, I finally received the deposit and contract!

However, I'd say the more typical thing is that I never hear from them again.

I think I'll start including a similar paragraph, that if I don't hear from them within five days I'll assume they've found accommodation elsewhere.
Brooke
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

I only give people 48 hours to send a deposit. Maybe the nature of my apartment is that it's all that is warranted. I do feel though, that once they have got to the stage of wanting the booking form it's because they have made their minds up and as they are on the internet, it doesn't take long to book flights.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I do feel though, that once they have got to the stage of wanting the booking form it's because they have made their minds up and as they are on the internet, it doesn't take long to book flights.
Not always the case Ali...in the past I have forwarded booking forms and not had a response for one reason or another...either someone in the party has dropped out...people can't get the same holiday period....or they have found another property....and they just can't be bothered/forgetful to email and let you know the situation until you enquire whether they are still interested.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Crystal wrote:
Not always the case Ali...in the past I have forwarded booking forms and not had a response for one reason or another...either someone in the party has dropped out...people can't get the same holiday period
I don't have that problem as most of my bookings are for couples, but I understand what you are saying. I presume the larger the property the harder it is to get everyone to agree to go at the same time :?
debk

Post by debk »

We seem to have entirely eliminated this problem. The solution won't work for everyone but I'll share, in case it's helpful.

1. There is a huge distinction between a booking and an inquiry. We get lots of inquiries; only 60-80% become bookings... and I really can't afford to muck-up the planning of that serious 60-80% while the remainder dilly-dally. :lol:

2. In each inquiry response, I close with a "next step":
IMPORTANT: This email does not constitute a tentative reservation nor a commitment to hold these dates for you. Availability and rates are subject to change. Reservations are only confirmed upon receipt of payment.

Should you decide to make a reservation, please let me know and I will send a link to our secure payment page.
3. If someone replies in the affirmative, I send a booking response which says the following. (If you don't take credit cards, your timeframe will be different... but I propose there should always be a clearly defined timeframe.):
IMPORTANT: This tentative reservation will only be held for three days (72 hours). If you do not pay within this timeframe, please do not make payment without double-checking availability with us again. (If you pay outside of this timeframe and a refund is subsequently required due to unavailability then, unfortunately, all refund processing costs will be your responsibility.)
A. What happens if I get two inquiries for overlapping dates?
Depending upon how serious they seem, I may tell them that someone else is inquirying about similar days. But I may not. Inquiries are only inquiries. People planning dream vacations on a rainy day at home...

B. What happens if I get an inquiry within 3 days (or whatever works for you) of sending a tentative reservation/booking email to someone else?
I tell the inquirer that someone has a tentative hold until XXo´clock/day as we are awaiting payment and that, if payment is not received, I'll let them know at that time... but if their dates are flexible they might consider one of our other places :wink: (we fairly regularly transfer people between our four places this way)

If the first party doesn't pay, I automatically offer the apartment to the next people in line. No emails, no mothering. Never any phonecalls. Only once did someone miss payment by mistake, losing their reservation and they very graciously accepted complete responsibility for their error. As you might expect, the people on the waiting list pay verrrry promptly!

I think people appreciate and respect knowing exactly what is expected of them, and when.

I sincerely believe that the clearer and more consistent that we are, the EASIER we make things for our guests. Calling one more time to "doublecheck" on a wayward inquirer/tentative reservation might seem like a nice thing to do, but it isn't so nice for the serious inquirer anxiously waiting on the other side to book their limited, low-cost airfares... nor is it likely to be very nice to your pocketbook.

The beauty, of course, is that we all eventually find the different little things that work best for us and our guests. There is no single "right way" to do any of this but I do hope this is helpful to someone.
debk
ps-yes, "inquirer" is actually in the dictionary. i just looked it up. :D
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Hello

Still no word from the first enquirer, so I've decided to let it be. The second enquirer came back to me over the weekend and asked for different dates, so fingers crossed she'll book. I will put some stronger wording on our emails from now on, stating a date/time when the provisional booking runs out!!

Thanks for all your advice.
Mx