John from Florida - any one else had this?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
centime

John from Florida - any one else had this?

Post by centime »

Just checking my emails between getting the maid up for changing of beds and found this in my inbox -
Hi,

I am also a Vacation Home owner (I started renting 1 year ago). I hope we can help each other to better market our homes.
I have tried many websites to advertise on (both free and paid listings), but so far I had success only with MasterpieceRentals.com and www.vrbo.com (I am able to book my home for about 30 weeks out of the year with just these 2 websites, but I would like to book it even more).
Do you suggest any particular vacation rental website to place a listing on?

I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Thank you,

John
info@floridaluxurioushouse.com
web: floridaluxurioushouse.com
tel. 954-297-3211

Have any of you had a similar email and what do you think? sorry to be so short but hear the maid on the stairs!!
:roll:
Lisbon the lovely, Lisbon the fair, never to have seen her is to miss something rare!
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

It's a bit odd, isn't it. (Mind you, he's got a gorgeous place, hasn't he).

I wonder why he picked on you, and why he thought you could help one another - he just wants some advice so its a bit one way.

You could tell him to join the forum if he's serious!

Pauline
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

You're in Portugal, he's in Florida and he thinks you have what in common??

I'm not sure I see a scam but I'm a bit lost as to his motivation. Unless he wants to plug one of the two sites (and I'm guessing it wouldn't be vrbo...). You could always write back (with minimal info) and see if he plugs it again. Or you could ignore it, unless you feel like a vacation in Florida. :wink:
Lounging on the lily pad...
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Ok, as we all know, techie stuff is NOT my forte :oops: but a squizz at the whois database shows the guy's personal website 'floridaluxurioushome' as being registered by the same registrant as 'Masterpiecerentals' ie masterpiece rentals and they advertise property worldwide. I am assuming that this means the guy is purely plugging MR's in that case, yes ? I am sure one of the webbie peeps might clarify.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

10 points for Partridge!

Absolutely right -- and the support e-mail for floridaluxurioushouse.com is support@masterpiecerentals.com! He's not even bothering to try and keep them separate.

I admit that I didn't check this until Partridge mentioned it -- but I suspected something like that, which is why I edited centime's post to remove the "www" text before the two unfamiliar URLs. I doubt centime deliberately wanted to include a link -- so why reward this guy with a link to both his sites from LMH?

I did leave his e-mail intact, though -- is it wrong that I don't mind if a spammer gets spammed?
Brooke
paolo

Masterpiecerentals.com

Post by paolo »

It would be a shame for masterpiecerentals.com if their name (masterpiecerentals.com) got mentioned so many times in this thread that when someone Googles masterpiecerentals, this thread pops up exposing masterpiecerentals' dishonest owner.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Just had a quick look at masterpiecerentals.com and the first listing I looked at said to contact the owner for rates!
I certainly can't be bothered doing that when I'm looking for a holiday, so I won't be searching on the masterpicerentals.com site for my next holiday.
Fil

Post by Fil »

I will not even bother checking masterpiecerentals. Agree that it would be a shame for masterpiecerentals if anyone searching masterpiecerentals would fall on this thread about masterpiecerentals. But it was masterpiecerentals sugestion that masterpiecerentals should be discussed here as a brand name masterpiecerentals.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

:wink: :lol:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

You lot are so cruel, really.

BTW, if you do Google masterpiecerentals then there are 52,900 returns, so he must have a smattering of SEO knowledge? Cool or what?

I think we could all help John - we can each pick a typo on his site and email him one-by-one at masterpiecerentals to point them out - he'll be so pleased. Trouble is, there's only 1,200 of us....

MG
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All..

Im in a cyber cafe but couldnt let this chance pass for mentioning masterpiecerentals..... :wink:
I miss all this milarky :wink:
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

"Im in a cyber cafe but couldnt let this chance pass for mentioning masterpiecerentals..... "

Thought you'd been a bit quiet Ros. Where are you?

(Don't know how to do quotes, so had to do a copy and paste)>
debk

Post by debk »

hey, centime aka friend of masterpiecerental

i, too, got that email from our buddy john at masterpiecerental

interesting that masterpiecerental is so interested in portugal!

i responded to masterpiecerental immediately after whois'ing masterpiecerental and floridaluxurioushouse... to find, surprise surprise, that masterpiecerental is the owner of same. tsk tsk sir john of masterpiecerental . . . stop the spam, i told friendly john of masterpiecerental

how curious that masterpiecerental would be so underhanded. imagine how he treats the guests at masterpiecerental . . .
Donna P

masterpiecerentals

Post by Donna P »

As Paolo has said, lets end this thread and not give this freeloader any more publicity :?

Sorry guys, the penny has just dropped !!!
Just having a blond moment !
Donna :roll: :oops:
Last edited by Donna P on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop the world I want to get off"
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

As Paolo has said, lets end this thread and not give this freeloader any more publicity
:D Think you may have the wrong end of the stick Donna ...(about mentioning masterpiecerentals.com that is!):D :wink:
...correct me if I am wrong anyone!
(Have to admit though..it is a stunning property!)