Photo Manipulation

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Normandy Cow

Photo Manipulation

Post by Normandy Cow »

As a result of the following thread: viewtopic.php?t=4091&start=0 I offered to "massage" one of the photos, to remove the black jacket and a couple of other bits.

This is the result.
Image Image

In Photoshop, I used the "clone stamp" tool, and "levels" to adjust the lighting. The whole thing took me less than half an hour and I offered to do it for the website owner (a new LMH member) because I do enjoy using photoshop and like improving photos.

But whilst doing this I started wondering whether I could start charging for doing this. If I set up a website offering photo manipulation services to holiday home owners to help improve photos on their websites, do you think anyone would pay for such a service?

Realistically, if I was doing this professionally, I would have to charge at least £10 for the above example, and more complicated amendments would have to cost more.

Please be brutally honest with me. Do you think people would pay to improve their photos? Would you? Or do you think the whole idea is a non-starter? :?

Thanks!

(PS, before anyone raises the issue, I would never agree to any dishonest manipulation, such as removing telegraph poles etc. I would only remove things that wouldn't normally be there).
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Wow NormC...I am so impressed!

If I send you my holiday photos could you make me a size 10! :lol: :lol: (Ros are you reading...we could forget all about our diet :lol: )

No seriously - I think you have something there. Not everyone is good with a camera...and particularly in instances where you're not on site (at your rental property) and get home to find you've got a few problem photos.... rather than wait to revisit and reshoot it would be cheaper to get an expert like yourself to tidy them up.

I think it might prove a useful service to a lot of people. And £10 as a cost isn't prohibitive to me.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

That looks fantastic NC, thanks for doing it.

I think your business idea could work.

I had several pictures that I would have used in my advertising but they were not quite right because something was out of place. I've ended up using the not so good ones for now and have to wait until I go over again to take better ones.

I would have gladly paid to have them put right

Ruth
mon269

Post by mon269 »

NC, I am very impressed. :shock: An excellent job, congratulations! I think with examples like this one you would not have any problems getting customers. It’s been said before, but having to wait a few months before going to the property again to retake that pic is not a good thing and people would gladly pay.

However, I would not be a customer of yours as I like doing things myself. I take things like this as a challenge and keep trying and reading up until I get there. Not everybody is the same though.

I think you can give it a go and will be impressed with the results.
:wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My son manipulated a spring shot of the exterior of our chalet, and used the clone stamp to put grass in the garden of the adjacent chalet, as there is grass there in the summer but in mid-April last year, it hadn't started to grow again. The cold kills it off normally.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

By the way, you;ve done a lovely job, and yes, I think you should charge for it.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

NC, what a fantastic piece of work - not only have you removed the jacket, you've also made the colours feel much warmer. I think you may be onto something here for those without the time or inclination to learn by trial and error..would your services include photo stitching ? (I might not be using the right term, but I mean joining up two separate photos to make a panorama..)
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Mouse wrote:If I send you my holiday photos could you make me a size 10! :lol: :lol:
You may jest, but I have already done this in the past! I took some candid photos at a friend's wedding, and when I gave her back a really good one of the happy couple, I slimmed her down a bit, whitened her teeth, and removed a few blemishes! :lol:

Naturally she was very pleased with the results!

Mon269 wrote:However, I would not be a customer of yours as I like doing things myself. I take things like this as a challenge and keep trying and reading up until I get there. Not everybody is the same though.
I totally understand. What I did was very simple, as long as you have the software (Photoshop) the patience to learn how to use it, and I suppose a little (just a little mind, it's not rocket science!) bit of aptitude!

Oh yes, and for anyone who is interested in doing this themselves, I would also recommend you invest in one of these: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_ ... ntuos3.php (The one being reviewed is the mega-expensive top of the range model, but they do cheaper versions. Mine is about 4 years old, and was much much cheaper, about £50, and worth every penny).
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thats great NC...
All the comments were right too
as an absolute no hoper with camera...think this is a great idea....[did you have to wrinkle your nose like Samantha in Bewitched :wink: ]

I think people would willingly pay :wink:
If I send you my holiday photos could you make me a size 10! (Ros are you reading...we could forget all about our diet
Diet what diet[actually been very good today :roll: ]

I laugh when people say theyre an 8.... :o
my feet are an eight so what chance have i got...I just dont want to start going into Evans :roll: ......
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

They're great and I'm sure you'd drum up lots of interest. I know some of the print places would do that for you but charge an awful lot more.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

You may jest, but I have already done this in the past!
well if thats the case NC then you're definately onto a winner!
I'm sure theres a need for making people look their best lets say. And having just watched a series of Americas Next Top Model I can't believe what they can do to models by touching up the photos.

We really don't see the reality anymore do we?

hey - and if they can have it done...why not us, especially on those special occasions when we all want to look our best - for posterity. I mean what if you have a spot break out on your wedding day?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
enid

Post by enid »

Excellent - I have just taken some new shots of our gites and there isn't a usable photo among them :cry: I missed my chance when Stu and Syb were here - I should have got him to take a few as he's a whizz with his camera.

I do think this is a good business idea - I'd pay - after all these photos have goiod shelf value. :)
mvus

Re: Photo Manipulation

Post by mvus »

When Normandy Cow has finished the cloning you can then pass them on to me and I will sort out your converging verticals for just £9 extra

Image Image

Joking aside, your cloning is very good, but getting people to actually pay for image correction would be a challenge. Everyone these days seems to have a friend, brother or teenage nephew who's a web designer or photoshop expert who'll do it for free.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Took me a while to spot the 'converging vertical'..but when you do, you're right mvus, it is a niggle ...
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

All right then clever clogss what is it..... :roll: :?

I wouldnt want my verticals to converge while I werent looking :roll:

Everyone these days seems to have a friend, brother or teenage nephew who's a web designer or photoshop expert who'll do it for free.

Not me...oohh no...Id be happy to pay :wink: