aghhhhhhhhhhh (no-show)

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I have every sympathy for Nessie, who lost a slot that someone else could have filled, and wasn't planning on giving his own family such a wonderful menu the next day, but I'm horrified to read your tale of dishonesty Fibi. I can't believe her cheek, and would have been so angry I'd have been tempted to hunt the woman down and give her a taste of my well-honed horns! :evil: To think she'd been before too; one builds up a little relationship with the owner by that point.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

How awful Fibi to have your good nature and trust to be abused like that!...From a previous guest as well which is even more shocking! :shock:
fibi

Post by fibi »

Thanks All, I've got over it now. At the time I felt more stupid than angry and taken advantage of, but it was a while ago and I've learnt a good lesson- take their money first - sad but true!

And the guest will never be able to return here and as I posted her name and details on Ross's runners on the net she'll not be able to book a good number of self catering or B and Bs in Scotland either :D :D . Revenge is sweet!

Its all a part of running a business - you learn...and learn - sometimes the hard way!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Fibi,
what are Ross runners and are you allow to publish names like this? We've talked about having a blacklist before on LMH, although most weren't in favour of it.
fibi

Post by fibi »

Ross's runners (my name for them not offical!) are

www.uk-apas.org.uk

It provides an alert system for self caterers and B&Bs. It is free to join but only covers the UK. I'm not sure about the legal implications however it all appears to be very professionally run for many years with no problems. It deals with runners and people with other anti social habits!
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Well there is some point in having a "warning list" - not a blacklist exactly - but details of people who have let us down, preferably with a little story, so it's not just bald criticism. The people wouldn't necessarily be excluded, but we could deal with them using greater caution, not accepting last minute bookings, nothing without deposits and perhaps other safeguards, that sort of thing.

In my line of rental, I don't suffer from no-shows/no-pays, but for instance I do get people who leave the place like an absolute tip, or strip the kitchen of all the herbs, spices, sauces, jam, pickles whatever, and stuff it in their suitcases (along with the loo-rolls!) to take home - who needs a half-full sauce-bottle that badly for heaven's sake? And of course this leaves nothing for the next guests to cook with.

So - a little pre-warning site might just have its uses for us all, without unduly penalising people, who should be given the chance to atone for their errors (or at least pay upfront for the privilege!). What does Paolo say?

ps Nessie - menu sounds scrumptious, you could have invited your mates from LMH round to help you out eating it!

moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Ross's runners on the net
:roll:

OOer...think its a good thing Im Big Sis now :roll: ...nothing to do with me folks 'onest :roll: :wink: :)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

What does Paolo say?
Well, obviously I'm not Paolo, but if I were, I would say something like, "good idea, go for it, no problem -- just not on Lay My Hat, for which I could be held legally responsible."
Brooke
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All..

I think this goes back to the blacklist we mentioned before..
Dont think its an idea i like the sound of :roll:
Are we going to have a list of Rental Owners who arent doing the right thing as well just to be even handed :wink: :roll:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

vrooje wrote:
What does Paolo say?
Well, obviously I'm not Paolo, but if I were, I would say something like, "good idea, go for it, no problem -- just not on Lay My Hat, for which I could be held legally responsible."
Yeah, I see what you mean, vrooje, if the site could be held legally responsible then it could get a bit sticky. (Though I ask, could it? After all it's a personal opinion which has been expressed, and whilst the site might be required to remove a comment to which someone objected, I think in law they are not liable for content).

But nonetheless there ought to be some way we can pool our information, informally, after all we're not accusing our clients of being criminals, just warning each other that we have experienced a problem of some sort (which indeed someone else might not consider as a problem), just to watch out.

And re Big Sis' response, I am aware that many letting agents do maintain blacklists of irresponsible, misleading or otherwise unacceptable holiday-home owners, so fair's fair.

Oh well, it's a thought anyway (and it seems to work in Scotland!)

Moliere
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

And re Big Sis' response, I am aware that many letting agents do maintain blacklists of irresponsible, misleading or otherwise unacceptable holiday-home owners, so fair's fair.
Hi Moliere...I know what you mean and I dont disagree with you [even though it reads that i might]
Its just that it would have to be handled so carefully...and I think privately...but as in all things on here we all have opinions..and of course Im not saying mines right....

It just makes me feel uncomfortable thats all......and Ive always been guided by my instincts....right or wrong :roll: :wink:

This is the link to where we discussed it before

viewtopic.php?p=31587#31587
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Big Sis.. wrote:It just makes me feel uncomfortable thats all......and Ive always been guided by my instincts
I agree Big Sis - and anyway, what are the chances of any of us getting an enquiry from a person on such a database? About the same as winning the lottery I should have thought!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :) ..

Thanks GG... :wink:

Getting back to Fibis case couldnt she have a claim against her guest in small claims...
[pain in the arxx I know] or am I being naive :roll: ....

She must have addresses etc as theyd stayed before..
I really have sympathy for her :(

I would be absolutley blooming fuming :evil: if this had happened to me but it would be interesting to see if theyre are any steps that can be taken if something like this happens to any of us :roll:

Nessies situation is frustrating as well of course but not as bad as someone who actually stayed and then didnt pay :evil:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think it has been said before, but with the exception of the non payers, who should definitely be blacklisted, what may be a 'bad' guest for one owner may not be for another. The state a place is left in, for example, can be subjective, also the behaviour of children!
Also it must be confusing sometimes for guests, for example, one place they go cleaning is included, another they are expected to leave the place tidy, but in depth cleaning is included and another cleaning is not included so they are expected to do everything including the fridge and the oven.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Well I seem to have inadvertently opened a can of worms here - sorry chaps, consider the idea dropped.

Moliere