My place isn't ready:-( (Should I list anyway?)

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Musetta

My place isn't ready:-( (Should I list anyway?)

Post by Musetta »

I'm SO disapointed!! I just heard today that a requested repair to our fireplace (back in January) has not been completed :-(
(it is brand new - and smokes and does not draw right and has a few cracks in the new plaster)

I was told that the work will be done now in May (but in Italy, who knows)...which, I guess is ok...means I can't rent in May...that's ok....but so I try now to get bookings for June? or do I go on the assumption that it's not going to be done ontime...or just tell the builder he can't have acess the times it's occupied (?) the fireplace IS usable...just not perfect...and I think it should be sinice I paid for a brand new one ;-), so it is not going to be dangerous or anything if someone were to use it...but it does smoke a bit...should I just not tell people where to get firewood? just be honest and say not to use it?

Now...the bigger problem...it will need (I was told) SIX months for the new plaster to dry (seems exessive! but I know nothing about fireplaces) so....that means...IF it is fixed in May....no fires in September or October either :-( when it IS chilly...do I just not take any bookings for those dates??

Anyway...thank you, thank you for letting me vent! I really appreiciate it! I was so excited to be getting things organised, etc. and getting ready to put in my ads....but now I'm thinking I should just wait until it is fixed :-( (on the other hand, there are places in town with no fireplaces for rent...and we do have electric heaters) feel odd about showing a photo of a fireplace and then talling someone not to use it! even if I don't list it as a feature :-(
What wouold you do?
Thank you for the advice!
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Musetta,

What a shame, you must be dissappointed.

I would still go with booking it but make sure it is clear on the ad that the fireplace is a design feature only at the moment. :wink: I wouldn't think anyone will want it in the summer anyway and as you say you have back up heating.

As long as you make it clear before booking no one can have any objections can they?

6 months for plaster to dry does seem odd? Just build in the final repair when there are no occupants.

Good luck.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

How long will it take to fix? If its only a day say then I'm sure most holiday-makers would be happy with that as long as they're aware of it before booking.
Or leave a few days between bookings where they can do it (if they're anything like the spanish workmen tho' they'll take a lot of tying down! :D )
I'd be tempted to try and get it done rather than put it off and have them likely to forget about fixing it! :shock:

We had a problem when we first rented...we had no wardrobe doors! (a very long story involving the previous owners debts etc) - so we explained to the first people and they were quite happy to run with it.
Luckily we had a couple of free days so got the work done before the next people arrived.

In summer the fire won't be used - so I wouldn't worry about having people stay Musetta.
In the later months perhaps explain the fire isn't useable at the moment due to ...... but you will supply an alternative source of heating.
I'm amazed tho' that you have to wait 6mths for plaster to dryout....are they being over-cautious do you think?

Mouse (who knows nothing about the time it takes plaster to dry!)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Just had a word with hubby who knows about plastery things, He said something about if using traditional lime plaster it would take months to dry. The heat from the fire could crack the plaster if used too early.

Ruth
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Ruth-
thanks for that info.! that must be what they used...and they were rushing to get the job done for us last winter...so I would think that it would take even loger to dry in the cold, damp weather :-( Then...we went over in Jan. and Feb. and had it lit all the time for heat...and all the new plaster cracked and looks awful (well..awful for something that is suppossed to be new!) The other issue is that is smokes a bit and is not drawing right...they need to extend the chiminy pipe that comes out of the roof...so they will need to be up there and take off some of the roof tiles and put in a new pipe. Like I said...not dangerous...but I don't want it lit I guess until it REALLY dries this time so that I don't have the same cracking problem all over again next year :-)

Mouse-
In a "normal" place, I would think this is a job in a day...however...in S.Italy...a day could turn into a week...easily...or more ;-) (and EVERYTHING closes down from 12:30-4:30 for siesta in my town! no building work even allowed to be done then! makes for a lovely holiday, but doesn't leave much time for building work to be done!)

I think I agree though...shouldn't stop me from renting it in the summer when you wouldn't want a fire anyway...and I think I will ask that they get it done sooner and not hold them back :-) becasue I don't want this to drag into NEXt year too :-) I will tell them they have May I think...and if I get a June booking, I will just ask that they not enter the house while I have guests there...certainly they could wait a week and it wouldn't kill them (since they will be the late ones anyway!) Maybe I will just try renting from June-September and then not take bookings during the chillier months this year. (ha! at least I'm thinking positivly now...like I even HAVEe bookings yet *laugh* :-) )

Thank you both for the advice!!
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Musetta

I'm sure if you make it clear that it isn't a working fireplace and you provide other heating for the chillier evenings, no-one will worry about it. You could put a nice basket of flowers where they would light the fire so it looks like it doesn't work.

I have aircon in my apartment but because it is so expensive to run and I don't charge a lot, I have it disconnected, don't advertise aircon and have left a notice to say it's broken and cannot be used. (I've also locked away the remote for it)!

I can't see there being a problem if it isn't advertised as a working fireplace.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I LOVEe the flowers idea :-) (now...why didn't I think of that??) It will look cheery and very seasonal in the Summer months anyway when people are thinking of the ourdoors and not cosying up by the fire :-)

I think after the work is done, I will just be honest and tell them that the entire homw was just remodeled and the fireplace replastered and it cannot be used yet becasue it will crack :-) I guess I figure I can't go wrong with honesty...and I think I will not take any bookings for the really cold months this year when you'd need heat :-)

My husband felt REALLY akward about renting it when it wasn't totally "done" and perfect, so thanks for the exrta opinions! I think he's comming around...'course...unless I provide firewood or tell people who to go see and/or call (in Italian only), they probably would not go to the huge bother of trying to purchase a few sticks for a warm evening anyway! :-)

Now...need to TOTALLY rethink my photos :-( as they were taken in the winter...with a fire going the whole time :-( and I just don't feel right about having a fire lit when they can't yet (!) I think I have ONE without a fire...but it's not terribly terriffic (I used the fire as a focal point in most of my living room shots!) have to do though until I can get over again...I was planning on using it though as my thumbnail photo :-( so...now...need to choose between the exterior or maybe the beroom?? (I like the bedroom ones...show the beambed ceiling, etc. but...is that kind of odd to shw a photo of the bed in your thumbnail? exterior os ok...shows it a house and not an apartment...but nothing spectacular...don't want to use the view...since most in Campania have spectacular ocean views that they use on there thumbnial...and we are inland...could show a photo of the town at a distance...but kind of impersonal...oh well..back to the drawing board!

Thank you all!!
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Musetta,

It is possible to edit your pictures, one very kind member offered to to one for me recently, you may have seen the results.

Ruth