Dealing with enquires from groups of young people

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Firebug,

As you say, each owner will have a different view. It all boils down to what they think their property is suitable for. :lol:

I must say my first thought was horror of horrors, 7 young kids in my villa, no way!! (I have a 17 year old son :wink: ) But obviously with a ski chalet the situation is different.

Thanks for making me think outside the box :shock:

There is no right or wrong answer it seems.

Ruth
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Donna..

I wouldnt have taken the booking and dont feel guilty about it...As has been said on lots of occasions its your house/villa/apartment and its up to you who stays...

Having 2 houses together and the capacity to fit up to 16 I get a lot of these....

Pauline said...
I've been following this thread with interest. How do you know they're under 25? I know you can ask,
Well yes :wink: on all my initial enquiries I ask...

how is the group made up is it family, friends, mixed ages etc....If it comes back that were a group of responsible 18 year olds[Im not sure where the irresposible ones go :roll: ]

I usually end up with too much detail down to the 81 yr olds inside leg measurement....but everyone seems to understand and if they dont its 'hard cheddar' :roll:

Im polite say its not personal

as I dont know you but i dont accept groups of teenagers although Im sure your well behaved etc...
I even state that my daughter wanted to take a group of girls out with her a few years back and I wouldnt let her either[said she could have up to 4]
which is true and shes a love......and I know her mother :roll:

Its up to individuals of course as it always is... :wink:
Donna P

Post by Donna P »

Thanks Ros..Your words of wisdom always make sense to me

Donna x
"Stop the world I want to get off"
Martha

Post by Martha »

I'm sure you've done the right thing:)

Ros - The irresponsible teenagers go on holiday the same place as the large badly behaved dogs of course! :lol:
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

davey2187 said
Bagpuss whats wrong with us young lads :lol:
Absolutely nothing wrong with "young lads" :lol: ..just don't like the words 'group' and 'in my villa' in the sentence:wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Thanks Ros..Your words of wisdom always make sense to me
AHH>>> Thanks Donna much appreciated...your very welcome...dont know about wisdom though :roll:
....but whatever Ive got Im always willing to share what i think then you can go from there.....

Take Care :wink:
gh

Re: Dealing with enquires from groups of young people

Post by gh »

Donna P wrote:Hi Chums

Does anyone accept bookings from groups of young people. I have just turned down a booking from eight 18year olds......
We would have done the same as you have done, except for, #1 twin daughter wanted to spend some time at to our place before going off to university with her friends. We both looked at each other in horror, knowing what we were like at that age and said 'no way'.

However, we relented, rather her father did; and let her and her friends go and they have constantly told us it was 'the best' time.

They met our neighbours who offered them labeless drinks and fed them unrecognizable food. Met up with the village football team in the local bar; who took them to a dance at the 'salle' and had a fab time.

Our place is not a hot spot for teenagers by any stretch of the imagination, however, we have very good shops nearby which they enjoyed spending time and 'her dads' money on clothes that they didn't see at home. They enjoyed showing off their new wardrobe.

So no, in answer to your question Donna P, we wouldn't let to young people; unless they were our 'young people'. :P

Helen
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

davey2187 saidQuote:
Bagpuss whats wrong with us young lads
Hi Davey. :) ..If your a young lad how come youve never popped into the chatterbox club when were having a Party

we could do with some young blood[and to be honest male company] me and Bagpuss/mousie can only dance together so mant times without arousing suspicion :roll: ..

I could teach you the Gay Gordon :roll: :lol: ...

de de dedederla de de de de de dederla de...

Be there or be square :P
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Nightowl wrote:i have taken a booking which commences on 23 May for a group of 7 - consists of 5 girls and 3 guys, all spanish, average age 25. for 8 days.....

..... So I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it was a group of english 25 year olds, I would have definitely wanted to have more contact with them before booking.
Quite telling that, isn't it. Keep to your promise Knightie of letting us know how it went.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I never even thought to ask about the age of guests - I then had a booking last year and when they all turned up they were 17/18 celebrating an 18th birthday.
Guess I should have clicked because the girl who booked always sent a cheque to the bank (not a bank transfer) - it was her fathers cheque as it turned out, she had no account (being so young).

When they arrived I could have kicked myself for being so stupid...but they were fine. The only hiccup was they had no idea of how to clean or wash dishes!?
We had to tell them to keep the noise down on the night they all arrived (they were in the pool at 11) but they all apologised to us next morning.

I think the nature of villa booking here is that there are quite a lot of younger groups looking to book villas. I've had all lad groups and all girls....and actually the boys are far better...and cleaner!!
I've had no more trouble from them than say families with kids. So I'm happy to welcome all...however I do warn them all about noise and neighbours...as usually loud music round the pool is the main problem.
But they sleep until 2pm...lie around the pool comatosed until 7 and then eat and go out until 6am....so we have a quieter time during the day than with families screaming in the pool.
And sunday is heavenly - as they're always out at Space (a daytime club...so we have the entire place to ourselves :D

Its all swings and roundabouts tho' - and I can understand people not wanting to take the risk.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

As an owner, you are quite entitled to decline bookings from people you think are unsuitable. However, I think that the way ALL groups of young people are tarred with the same brush as anti social hellraisers is wrong. I often have groups of young people staying for long weekends and they've always been very polite and respectful and the house has always been left in an impeccable state. Of course the fact I live next door probably makes difference and the sort of young people wanting to rent a house in the countryside will be different to those renting a villa in a popular Spanish resort.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

La Vache wrote: Of course the fact I live next door probably makes difference.
Yes - even knowing the owner is nearby must change things. Then, if they know the owner will be present when they leave, or at the very least, the caretaker, rather than guests being instructed to lock up and hide the keys or post them, this too must help. I expect this applies to rental guests of all ages.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Its all swings and roundabouts tho' - and I can understand people not wanting to take the risk.
Yep thats right :) and horses for courses...

and as has been said not all youngsters cause trouble....[I had a 50th birthday lot that were banned from all the local pubs[50+s a funny old age aint it :wink: :roll: ]

Bear in mind I went out with my youngest daughter and a few of her friends the other night and guess who was sent home early in a taxi :oops: ..
So I definitely wouldnt let the likes of me stay there
[oh I do :o :lol: ]
and rang the next morning to make sure I was OK :roll:

I think the fact that our houses are close to others and the pool is communal has a factor as well....
As we rent both houses together a lot of youngsters en masse could be quite intimidating to the other residents
[who probably wish I didnt rent anyway]...dont want to rock the boat too much :wink:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,
I think that the way ALL groups of young people are tarred with the same brush as anti social hellraisers is wrong.
I think you are absolutely right in saying that and you say it in the light of your actual experiences – “I often have groups of young people staying for long weekends and they've always been very polite and respectful and the house has always been left in an impeccable state�. I wonder how many of those who condemn groups of young people out of hand have your experience of them. I have only one.

A few years ago one of my properties was a “featured� prize in a completion run by Owners in France (Brittany Ferries). The prize was won by a group of young people who visited, enjoyed their week here and left the place in an immaculate condition. They told me they normally holidayed by having a “rave up� on a Spanish Costa but for them it was a refreshing change to have a peaceful and restful holiday in a rural retreat. They obviously responded accordingly. Maybe, when groups of young people behave as anti-social hell-raisers they are only responding to the surroundings they find themselves in?

Of course and as always, I live on-site and living on-site is said to make a difference.

Fluffy
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Slightly off-topic but related, we are leaving our 17 year-old for a week in June and her boyfriend will stay the weekend. Jane told her "absolutely not parties" and repeated the message to Paul. His reply was "Don't worry, after clearing up after C*****'s, there's no way I'm going through that again.

The little darling had a party when her parents were away. Her best friend (another girl) pushed her to drink half a bottle of vodka. The vast majority were totally out of it and the house was left in a disgusting state. Paul is a friend of hers and helped her repair the worst of the damage. Most of the party-goers were middle class public school kids, not Chavs.

But after his experience, hopefully our home is safe next month.

John