2008 . . .

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

You do have to have sound teeth to enjoy the Jordans though - I tempt fate every time I open the packet.
Try using scissors :lol:

Seriously though..

When I get a booking a long way in advance..I always check frequently with them to make sure theyre plans are the same..and that they havent changed theyre minds..after all alot can happen in that time..
Also if its peak weeks I increase the price when I quote as generally they will have gone up and if they dont like the new price its not much of a worry..as you have soo long to book the dates..especially pak ones.

Off peak I usually give them quite a good deal as those dates arent sure to sell and the deposit will be handy sitting in the bank... :wink:
populuvivu

Post by populuvivu »

Hello all!

i neither like to book too far in advance because too many things can happen (sickness, accident, family disorder...) and then even if you have already get the booking deposit and if the event occurs not too close from the beginning of the rental period, you feel in obligation to refund the deposit as the renter is in an awful situation with the risk to lose definitly your rental period.
So i don't take any booking before december as we usually rent from may to october. Sometimes, if i have an early enquiry for an out of peak period that seems to be attractive, i can take it. I know i can lost customers and i do lose some of it but earlier enquiry are often from people who wants to come in peak times so you know that you will be able to fill it anyway.

I hope my frenglish is not too bad. Say me if i'm boring you.
Let's fight for the rights of corsican people.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Populuvivu and bienvenue! Your properties and the situation look amazing. I'm a huge admirer of Corsica and am not surprised you get enquiries very early for the following year. your Frengish is great, and you are not boring us!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Pops...

Not boring at all...[Now if you want tips on boring Im ya gal sometimes I nod of myself while Im posting :wink: ]
And as someone who wrestled[and lost] another language...Hats of to your frenglish...to be honest I hardly noticed :wink:
Its nice to have other views..thats what makes this forum valuable..I know Ive changed quite a few of my opinions while posting here...and theyve all been benificial to my renting..

I know what you mean about early booking usually being for peak times and the fact that booking too far ahead means theres a lot of things can happen...This has happened a few times to me...
But as mine are usually for both houses and its a large group trying to get organised...I think they do like to sort things out as soon as they can..

Please keep posting on other threads it will be nice to hear from you again....I could teach you some Norfolk Squit :wink:
Stu

Post by Stu »

What we've found this season so far is that we've had a few cancellations from folks who booked way back in 06. They've had a variety of excuses from the sublime to the ridiculous, and in some cases have almost brought us to tears. It reaffirms that we're right to take the booking secured with a non-returnable deposit. What I've started to think though is that the deposits may be too small an amount, and when they cancel, it's not a problem to lose £25 or £50. It's a bit like a lost-leader for them in a way. This is for a camping pitch, by the way!

Next year is almost full now from mid-July through to mid-Sept, and we've stopped taking bookings purely because the gaps we have left we've decided to leave and offer to the French, Belgians and Dutch campers that are notoriously laid back when it comes to booking their holidays! We think it's nicer to have a more 'European' flavour to the place rather than it being over run with Brits!
Fil

Post by Fil »

It is important to have a safe cancellation policy. The guests have to share the risk in a reazonable way.

Also I think that someone should not be refused just because they plan long time in advance.

Nowadays with low cost air travel it can become much cheaper to plan long time in advance. In my experience people who reserve long time in advance are mostly retired people who obviously enjoy the planning. I would feel bad refusing their offer.

I have one doubt though. What if they want to move dates ? It is not a cancellation but you might suffer some damage. I have not figured out yet excatly how to deal with this.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Fil..

It varies I have had this in the past usually moving is fine I think...[thats what Ive done]

but if its short notice only if the original dates are rebooked.........[which is happenneing at the Mo]

Think has to be dealt with at the time its hard to generalise......
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All :) ..

Just got am email from the chap from Kellogs whose booking next year...
Hi Ros
Cheque is in the post. Should be with you next 2 days. Couldn’t get Crunchy nut into envelope... Stretford post-men were worried about having anaphylactic shock sorry.
Ray
:( Bu**er :!:
them Elfin Safety chaps get in everywhere...
[gals gotta twy though Eh!..[and you all know me ..very trying :roll:]
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It is important to have a safe cancellation policy. The guests have to share the risk in a reazonable way.
totally agree - and my holding deposit is 50%.

we do get a flurry of enquiries when the budget airlines release their flight around the end of August. As they're booking so early I usually take only 25% and the rest of the deposit (another 25%) after xmas.
With repeat guests who book early I take 10% and the rest of the deposit in January.

mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Ju

Post by Ju »

Big Sis.. wrote:Hi All :) ..

Just got am email from the chap from Kellogs whose booking next year...
Are you sure they work for Kellogs the cornflake people? I used to work for MW Kellogg - It is an Engineering design and construction company for petrochemicals. We used to get asked for cornflakes all the time!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

This e-mail has been sent on behalf of the Kellogg Group please forward the e-mail to EuropeanIT.servicedesk@Kellogg.com and then delete it from your system.

Kellogg Management Services (Europe) Limited ("KMS") has scanned this e-mail for viruses on behalf of the Kellogg Group
I hope so Ju .. This was with the email.... :roll:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Having lived not too far from the Kellogs head office in Manchester I can happily confirm that the mention of the 'stretford' postman ensures they are from the cornflake co. as the HQ is situated in ....Stretford!

Ah - memories!

Mouse (who quite likes the odd cornflake :D )
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well :o
Just had another booking for peak weeks
July26th-26th 2008 Aug has gone in both..
and yes I did put em up :wink: ..
Gone a bit manic this week but all for next year..
This must be the earliest theyve gone by...
How do people get this organised :roll:
mon269

Post by mon269 »

I am happy for you BS, I still have plenty of availability for this summer. One day you will share your secret, wontcha! :lol:
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Big Sis,

I think you should just treat it as a normal booking now, although a bit early. I had a booking for May 2008 in Sept 2006, And Aug 2008 in March this year I decided to take the deposit in two stages. But I think if I have any more for 2008 I will just treat it as a normal booking now.

Well done, doesn't it feel nice to be wanted? :lol: :wink:

Ruth