Rush of last minute summer bookings

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Fluffy, pragmatically I agree with you about loyalty, we need to keep a business hat on, but I've been wondering a little about the effect of chopping and changing on the loss of "track record" (How long you have advertised with XX). We've discussed elsewhere the issue of credibility that many years of rentals gives one when selling direct to the public and as you've also said, listing site success comes and goes.
  • Will this year's failure turn around next year ?
    Is my track record worth gambling with ?
    Will the new site bring me more enquiries ?
Oh heck, its never easy is it ?
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Fluffy said
I am pretentious enough to have replied that I am quite good at my job of converting enquiries into booking but they didn’t appear to be quite as good at their job because they were not producing enquiries. A deafening silence was the response. I thought that was under-whelmingly impressive
Nothing more can be said! I have exactly the same issues with one listing site...and I'm going to pinch your 'punch' line when it comes to dumping them! :lol: :wink:
The Listing Sites are the same and the property is the same, but better, so why have enquiries dried up? There are many possible answers and the availability calendar is just one of them.
Ditto that for me too! :roll: :(
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

e-Richard, is ones track record with a listing site all that important? You know I haven't spent much time in the world of business, so I am genuine in asking if you could expand on this idea a bit please. It's an interesting thought.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'd be interested in you theory too Richard!
I don't mind giving sites one chance, but no more. For two years French connections brought in most of my bookings, then after their relaunch I received virtually no enquiries, let alone bookings. I stuck with them for 2 years but I haven't renewed this year as the sense of loyalty has been replaced by frustration and more than a little annoyance as they suggested the only reason I wasn't getting bookings was that my prices were too high compared to other similar properties in the area. In fact they are considerably lower. I've been similarly loyal to holidaylets.net as I like their site, but I think the time has come to break with them too as the bookings just haven't materialised.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Do people send an enquiry without actually wanting to book?

I really don't understand about 'turning' an enquiry into a booking. If the enquirer wants your place they will book it, if available. I wouldn't bother to enquire if I wasn't serious about booking. The only enquiries I have had that don't turn into a booking is because they ask for dates that are unavailable. I also had one that asked if we have sky tv, I answered no, she didn't book. There was no way I could have 'turned' her into a booking cos I didn't have sky at that time.

Ruth
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

I have historically made e-mail enquiries about a property I was interested in. There were no photos on the bedrooms or bathrooms so I asked if they had any. The replied that they would e-mail me some in the next few weeks... that was 18 months ago :roll:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

kipper889 wrote:Do people send an enquiry without actually wanting to book?

I really don't understand about 'turning' an enquiry into a booking. If the enquirer wants your place they will book it, if available. I wouldn't bother to enquire if I wasn't serious about booking. The only enquiries I have had that don't turn into a booking is because they ask for dates that are unavailable.Ruth
I get probably 50% of enquiries who don't book. My view is that they're "fishing" for a discount - they always ask what's the price (which is clearly marked) and when I respond saying it's £xxx, as advertised, they often don't come back. It's not universal, by any means, but usually if someone asks the price, they don't book.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

You could put a note on your site that there are no special offers at the moment. That would save you the bother of answering the enquiries from people who want discounts.

Ruth
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've sent out a newsletter email to my previous guests this evening, so maybe I will get some interest from there. I have offered returning guests a discount, which basically means they will get it at last years prices.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Kip, in my experience many people make a short list of properties that appeal. If they are not so specific about area that is - eg South-West France, as opposed to a particular department, or even more precisely, near a certain town - so no, not all enquiries lead to bookings; there are also those people who like to window shop - then they go away and ask the family or a group of friends what they think and try to get commitment/agreement and nothing happens for whatever reason - the rest of the party aren't sure of their dates eg, then the whole idea evaporates and they never come back to you.

Our property sleeps 8 people - so I wonder if this more of a common phenomenon with larger groups - more people to organise/co-ordinate ie? I had an enquiry like that from a nice woman in Oz some weeks ago for Oct this year. She was really keen and we exchanged several emails - but it's lucky I didn't hold my breath! :shock: Of course, she may come back to me yet and I hope she does - October is usually quite hard to let in my neck of the woods!!
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

So how would not showing availability help to turn these enquirees into bookees?

Ruth
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's a good point and I suppose we're discussing two different types of holiday browser aren't we - those who have a set of dates in mind, and create a shortlist of properties which are available, and those who are simply thinking more generally about options for a holiday - it may even be as vague as 'self-catering' vs 'package' and who are, especially if they are enquiring ahead of the crowd, prepared to be reasonably flexible as to dates. But if people are looking for a venue for the current year, the bottom line is that it is very important to show availability. Even in our still relatively unknown part of France, new rental properties are coming onto the market at an ever-increasing rate. It is going to be more and more difficult to stay ahead of the game.

One way is to have a decent personal website - but I have been on that particular soapbox more than once! :D
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi GG,

I think you have hit the nail on the proverbial.

If your listing or website gives all the information that a potential client needs, you should not receive time wasting enquiries. It is there in black and white (or red and green) what is available, what it will cost and what they will get for said cost.

What more do browsers need to make a serious enquiry to book if the property is available?

Ruth
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Gascony Goat wrote:e-Richard, is ones track record with a listing site all that important? ....
I was really referring to the issue that guests may worry about whether the property really exists and is the advertiser for real. To which one answer (of many) has been that a visble and verifiable record of previous rentals (which one can see from the longevity of advertising) is potentially of some comfort.

Oh heck, that was a long winded and not very lucid answer, so I guess really its not that big a deal. :roll:
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

e-richard,

If listing on a new site you could add some text saying how 'popular this property is, we have been renting for x amount of years' or words to that effect. Also you could add comments from previous guests with dates.

Ruth