Licensing rental property.

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Bellywobble

Licensing rental property.

Post by Bellywobble »

I've just found this article on another forum. Does anyone know what the licensing requiremnts are? I wasn't aware of this at all :?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/mai ... sta112.xml
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Many developers don't give accurate information about what their properties can be used for and it's very rare that apartments are licensed for tourism
This is the first I've heard of this too BW! :shock: :?
From what I can gather from the article ....if your apartment or villa is on a development that does not allow holiday renting then you can't rent your property? :? Bit confusing but that's how I read it.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

BW..I've just been surfing the Andalucian Tourist Board
Click here and did a check on all properties registered with them in Fuengirola...and they're all hotels or aparthotels. I did a search for 'Hostals' in Fuengirola as I know there are loads and the search results were 0...surely they must be registered with the Tourist Board :?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

As far as I am aware it is illegal, and has been for some time, to rent out in Spain without telling the authorities and getting your place licensed.

http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/b ... mpdown.htm
Last edited by roxytoo on Sun May 13, 2007 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

It's Illegal to rent out short term in Cyprus too unless registered with the CTO, luckily the law is not enforced. There would be a lot of buyers in trouble if they did decide to enforce it. :shock:

Ruth
mon269

Post by mon269 »

Casa Dolar has registration number VTAR/GR/00326. We went through the registration process this time last year and being in a rural location it is a legal requirement. I don’t know if there are other regulations for non-rural areas.
Marks

Post by Marks »

How did you go about getting your property registered?
cc

Post by cc »

We used to live on an urbanisation and it is standard practice that you may not run a business from a house on an urbanisation without permission from the urbanisation. Some resorts with hotels and golf courses on them specifically have clauses in the escrituras that no business may be started that is is in competition with the resort owners, this normally means holiday lets. Having said that it is widely ignored and if it is not brought to anyones attention you will get away with it. But if if you fall foul of the wrong person and they grass on you, you do not have a legal leg to stand on.
We wanted to be as legal as we could be so moved off of the urbanisation and are going through the licensing process at the moment, it is a long process.
You don't have to write something on every thread, do you?
mon269

Post by mon269 »

We went to Granada’s Consejeria de Turismo and told them that we wanted to rent our house to holidaymakers. They gave us a few forms to fill in and requested some paperwork. They check all the paperwork for a number of things; they take their time mind. A few months and many phone calls later they inspected our house and on the second visit we got approval.

It really is quite simple and the requirements are very basic. As I said, I don’t know if this only applies to rural locations.

I need to dash now, but if you need more info, please ask and I may be able to find some more info if needed.
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

The current regs (mainland not majorca or canaries) are that you have to be licensed if you are a business renting properties.

So, if you are just an individual renting out your one apartment there is no need for a license. You do need to declare all rental income to the spaish tax office every quarter.

If you are a company/website etc renting out a number of properties owned by third parties and you are charging commissions then you do need licensing.
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
mon269

Post by mon269 »

ashtondav wrote: So, if you are just an individual renting out your one apartment there is no need for a license.
There are a set of national regulations and a set of regulations for the “comunidad autonoma�. You may be correct that the national regulations for mainland say you do not need a license. I did not check because I knew that in my specific case, being in Andalusia and in a rural location, the Andalusian regulations force me to register and could not start “trade� without a registration number. I know in some other regions all you need to do is notify the regional authorities of your activity.

We are not a business and because of that, the only service we can offer is accommodation. If I wanted to offer other services, like food, transfers or anything else, we would need to be a business.
linda147

Post by linda147 »

there is more information on this subject on the Eye on Spain website. They have a friendly local lawyer that offers advice - have a look at what you says on the subject.

www.eyeonspain.com/forums/posts.aspx?thread=1225