Pricing extra people - What do you think ?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Debk
If Fil only had one bedroom I agree with the sentiments in your post, but he has two, so couples already have the possibility of sleeping seperately. If you get the scenario of two couples staying, I would think it likely that they would take a bedroom each.
However, I know nothing of the city market and appreciate there are big differences to my holiday market - sleeping on a sofabed for 2 or 3 nights is a lot more bearable sleeping on one for 2 weeks!
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

But fil has 2 bedrooms?
Fil

Post by Fil »

Thank you again for your comments.

I don't think there is anything misleading in adverstising a capacity of six with 4 people in bedrooms and 2 people sleeping in a (good) sofabed as long as you are clear about it and space allows. As Debk mentions, this is a true option for people on city breaks.

I am still hesitating on price though. I see Debk point (much as my own until now) but I am not comfortable with wrong perceptions people sometimes have and some here have confirmed.

I receive enquiries from people that did not look at the rental conditions and only saw the price at the top and feel sorry for their disapointement when they get to know prices aplicable to their case.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Sorry fil,

I dodn't mean to imply that you were misleading anyone by sleeping 2 on a sofa bed.

I was referring to the ad saying 'price per property per week' when really it is the 'price for first 2 persons per week.'

Ruth
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I think you need to decide what you want.
If you advertise for 6 people, then price for 6. If you advertise for 1-4, price for 4.
Edit
Another idea - why not pay for a second ad for your property, so you have 2 ads, one for sleeping 1-4, the other for sleeping 6 (with the appropriate pricing). After a year, you should have some idea on how people are booking and what your main market is, so you can drop one of the ads. You may even be able to do it on H-R by adding a second unit, which would be much cheaper.
debk

Post by debk »

If Fil only had one bedroom I agree with the sentiments in your post, but he has two, so couples already have the possibility of sleeping seperately.
What's great, though, is that by clearly mentioning the sofabed he offers even more options and widens his market considerably. That is, Fil can comfortably sleep not just one couple sleeping separately but TWO couples sleeping separately. In fact, he has wisely provided lots of accommodation options:
one non-snoring couple with extra bedroom as giant closet
one snoring couple (extra bedroom for snorer)
two non-snoring couples
one non-snoring + one snoring couple (using sofabed)
two non-snoring couples with a child
three single adults who won't sleep together
four single adults (two who will sleep together)
etc
etc

When advertising for 2-6, I think it's reasonable to price (variably) for 2-6. Hotels do this, too: one price for a single, another for a double, even though it's the same room.

Definitely not "one price fits all" for LMHers, eh? :lol:
debk
edit: spelling fixes
Last edited by debk on Thu May 17, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Yes, there are a lot more options, but how are couples going to find his apartment if it is only advertised for 6 people? When you search on H-R, one of the fields you can moreorless guarantee people will put in is the number of people the accommodation sleeps. With H-R, there are options of 1-4 people or 6 people. If he advertises for 6 people, surely his property won't come up (or will come up at lower down) on the property list.
debk

Post by debk »

Ah, I see. I wasn't limiting discussion only to H-R. So sorry for the confusion!

Must admit that I rarely use the # of people option in searches precisely because of this issue... unless it's a "sleeps minimum" option. We often have just one couple rent our three bedroom house, even when the two bedroom and one bedrooms are available.

In fact, we have one couple in the three bedroom right now. They're the ones who just mentioned how much they appreciated the instruction summary on the frig. :D (See "Notices" thread)
debk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It isn't only H-R, it is all rental sites who have this criteria. I just specified H-R as that is the link that Fil uses.
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

debk wrote:
That is, Fil can comfortably sleep not just one couple sleeping separately but TWO couples sleeping separately.
Hmmm, maybe its the lack of coffee this morning but I'm not quite sure how 2 couples can sleep separately :shock: :wink:
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

Fil wrote:
I receive enquiries from people that did not look at the rental conditions and only saw the price at the top and feel sorry for their disapointement when they get to know prices aplicable to their case.
Right, thats why I just think pricing for 4 is a good idea. That way you can raise the prices for the 5th and 6th and even offer 'discounts' on your adverts for only a couple. Add something like 'discounts may apply for 2 person occupancy, please enquire for details', in a prominent place. That way you can work with the discount, if its a busy time for you, not so much, if you have a quiet spell offer a nicer incentive to book. People love to believe that they are renting for less because of the fact its just the 2 of them.
debk

Post by debk »

Hmmm, maybe its the lack of coffee this morning but I'm not quite sure how 2 couples can sleep separately
:lol: You are right! I meant he can actually host two couples, with one sleeping separately. (As opposed to a one bedroom, that can only host one couple, sleeping separately.)

Oh, my. Still confusing. Pity the snorers amongst us! Fortunately, they and their partners know exactly what they are looking for and why.
debk
Fil

Post by Fil »

The limitations with listing websites do not allow fulll transparency in this case. There is only a "price per property" or "price per person" option. "Price per property for 2 people" is not possible.

Overboard, You sugestion is great. I am seriously considering it. Thank you.

I might also consider offering a sound proof "snoring room" as an option for those traveling with one or two of these. It looks like a very interesting niche market.

But what if I get 2 couples with 2 snorers, one frome each couple :wink: ? Better be careful before I hit another niche markets :D
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Fil, :lol: :shock:

Looks like there is not an easy solution, that's the problem with listing sites, one size fits all.

Apart from all that, I wouldn't mind sharing your lovely apartment with anyone, even if they do snore!!!

Ruth