Giving ADSL access to guests

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Martha

Post by Martha »

You should be fine then, unless the 90 year olds turn out to be Second Life fanatics or something :lol:

I do have a vague memory that I had to go and specifically turn the encryption off, though, and that it was on by default. But it's not hard to do, just go to your livebox setup - by default this is at 192.168.1.1. and you should be able to find it there.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
enid

Post by enid »

Kathy,Do they have to do anything at all?? I have Livebox installed and ticking over nicely with no key or codes at all. When guests arrive with their own laptop they just power up, lock onto the network and slip into surf mode...
We have an Airport wireless connection with our Mac and as RR says guests can just lock on - problme here is thick walls can interefre with the signal so sometimes they have to go up to the pool. :)
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thanks for the default setup access Firebug, I'll give that a go. And Rabbit, I'm not going for another 4 weeks so you might not want to have your ears crossed all that time, just from around June 17th :D

Kathy
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Rabbit - need those ears crossed now!

Situation now is: Arrived at house yesterday - logged on, instant internet access- brilliant!

But that's cos I've got the Orange/Wanadoo/Livebox software installed on my laptop.

Now, we've brought my husband's laptop too to test how easy it would be for future guests to get access. His has found the Livebox but on clicking the Connect button then says Unable to connect to the selected network. It doesn't even ask for a WEP key which I could use but really want it all to be automatic.

I've now been into 'Livebox Configuration' and although I've managed to get into the English version, I really don't know what I'm looking for. I want to turn the security-enabled bit off so that everyone can have access - can anyone help?

Kathy
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Kathy
have you tried postingthat question on the brittany angloinfo forum? There seem to be at least a few people on there who know what they are talking regarding the livebox, or you could phone 3900 for tech assistance, but I don't know if there are any English speakers there. I've always found the Orange technical assistance very good.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi Kathy,

Sorry, I can't help you unfortunately: I haven't yet had anyone bring their own computer and try to lock onto the Orange Livebox network (we provide a laptop) - this is obviously something I should try as a precaution.

What a frustrating situation: perhaps you could locate a local computer service and just get someone to come round and fix it for you? I wouldn't think an hour's call-out would be more than about 50 euros, and it might be worth it to save your nerves?

Good luck, RR
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Rocket Rab wrote:......and it might be worth it to save your nerves?

Good luck, RR
.....and do my nerves need saving at the moment! :roll:

Thanks Susan, I'll give Anglo info a try.....

kathy
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Just for Wobert and anyone else that's been waiting with bated breath................ :roll:

I had loads of help from various sites which all would have worked if only my Livebox was set up like everyone else's! Eventually I had to get a little man in..........

Anyway, assuming yours is 'normal', type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar, that should take you to the Livebox Configuration screen - Username and password are both admin to get in there.
On the left under Informations, choose the English option then click on Wireless (in basic menu if it's not at the top) - Reseau sans fil in French. In the second section - Wireless Network Setup, there's a drop-down list titled Security, choose the None option (Aucune in French). To the right of that, make sure that the MAC address bit is disabled. Click Apply and that's it! You might need to reboot but anyone should now be able to access your Livebox.

Best of luck!

Kathy
ttp

Post by ttp »

kathyg wrote:Eventually I had to get a little man in..........
First time I've been called little for a very long time :-)

Glad we got it going.

Regards

Nick Thompson
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Kathy - and Nick - thanks very much for that simple? (only when you know how!) snippet of invaluable information - to be filed away with the utmost care. Bet you're savouring the relief of having your system up and running smoothly!
Rab
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Oh my God Nick - I didn't know you were here too!!!! :shock:
How embarrassing! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Well to redress the balance :roll: :oops: you did a brilliant job - both laptops very happily connected since you left and thank you for such an efficient service.......... :D

Kathy
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well to redress the balance you did a brilliant job - both laptops very happily connected since you left and thank you for such an efficient service..........
Well there you go ttp aka Gary
Praise indeed and unsolicited..which says even more for your expertise...So thank you from all of us on LMH cos if youve helped kathy... well were all chuffed... :)
ttp

Post by ttp »

Big Sis.. wrote:Well there you go ttp aka Gary
Actually it's aka Nick & lots of other things, but not Gary (so far)
Regards

Nick Thompson

http://www.gite-in-brittany.co.uk
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Sorry Nick
you now how I am :roll: ..Trying to give you a compliment and getting your name wrong :oops: :wink:

Well Done Nick and if anyomne needs help youre the man :!:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Nothing to do with tech advise...but on the same subject....I just bagged a 2 week booking in September from a senior partner in a law firm who was looking for a property in our location (i.e. not too far inland) with Wi-Fi! So it looks like offering Wi-Fi gives your property that more of a chance of getting a booking than a property without!