Sticky Index for newbies and the technically challenged?

To suggest improvements and additions to the forum, or ask about technical difficulties using the forum.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Alan Knighting wrote:Which ever way you do it you are still left with a number of threads riddled with trivia.
Fluffy
Oh, you are soooo right there !

Very recently I wanted to review any discussion on "Holidaylettings", so searched on the one signle word, and restricted the search to Listing Site section.

Result 44 posts - groan
Spotted one post with useful looking title "HolidayLettings Website" - hurrah

Visited this post. 209 replies, 14 pages :cry: :x . I found maybe half a dozen extremely useful replies (including some from site owner), and the rest (to put it politely) were "on-going verbal interchange".

Oh, OK, to save you all searching, this is the topic I refer to
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Some good informative posts on that thread Richard.

Also a bit of a laugh thrown in. Two bites of the cherry I'd say. :lol:

Ruth
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

kipper889 wrote:Some good informative posts on that thread Richard.
Oh yes, defintely Ruth. Please don't get me wrong.
Thats where I found out about code 217 :D
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ruth,
Just try this, I'll type it slowly...

Type in 'word press' with a space. (no quotes)
I’m not disturbed by your speed of typing, really not. The quotes were there to differentiate the search criteria I was using from the rest of what I was saying.

The obvious problem is that posters sometimes use “word press� and at other times use “wordpress� – again the quotes are only there to differentiate what they have typed from what I am saying. If your search criterion finds 11 instances you have missed out on the 660 others.

Fluffy
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

:wink:

Ruth
istrianholidays

Post by istrianholidays »

The obvious problem is that posters sometimes use “word press� and at other times use “wordpress� – again the quotes are only there to differentiate what they have typed from what I am saying. If your search criterion finds 11 instances you have missed out on the 660 others.

... surely the 660 are those which only include either the word "press" or the word "word". These 660 would not be relevant as they could be talking about olive presses for all we know. The only ones which would matter in this case would be the ones which had both word and press - i.e. the 11 which are on "word + press".

I think the search facility is pretty good as it stands - despite the whole off-topic issue which everyone is going on about.

Rgds,

Jen
paolo

Post by paolo »

Yes, the big number would be all threads that contain either 'word' or 'press'. If you can add more search words - as Brooke suggests, with 'blog' for instance, you can narrow things down. But you have to specify the AND between words. You can narrow it further by entering something for the author field. For Wordpress I would put in Garri because I remember he was very active in a good thread on it.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

e-richard wrote:I found maybe half a dozen extremely useful replies (including some from site owner), and the rest (to put it politely) were "on-going verbal interchange".
I have revisited and trimmed that thread to cut out any extraneous posts, and now it is concentrated talk about holidaylettings.co.uk, and only 5 pages long.
Paolo
Lay My Hat