enabling internet use for guests

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
langley

enabling internet use for guests

Post by langley »

I would like to know if it's possible to buy an adaptor for the ethernet socket on my router/modem which will allow 2 ethernet cables to be plugged in at one time. And also is it possible to buy single Netgear plug-ins to allow wifi in other rooms and if so, where can I buy them? Perhaps I should say that I have bought the plug-in kit whereby one is linked by ethernet cable to the modem/router and then the other is plugged in elswhere, and I'm delighted with this system but I need to extend it into other rooms. Any advice and/or help would be appreciated.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

langley,

I think I know what you're talking about: something like this, right? Neat contraptions. And yes, they do sell extra units to plug into other rooms. I'm not sure where, though... probably depends on your location.

In terms of the ethernet plugs, your router doesn't already come with several? Most routers come with at least 4 ethernet plugs. You can buy them with more, but I don't think you can buy an adapter (the way you can buy a USB hub and turn one USB port into many). I think you may just have to buy a new router with more wired ports if you need more ports than it allows...

I'm sure a more knowledgeable hardware person could give more info on this, though. :)
Brooke