Oh dear!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi BW,

What a shame, I feel for the family too. Your place is so lovely. I have had a couple of late bookings this year, I'm sure with availability in August you will find someone snapping it up. Fingers crossed for you.

Ruth
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi BW..

I feel the same as the others..Hope you get rebooked Im sure you will..Take care :wink:
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Mark S wrote:You may need that deposit to discount the cancelled weeks.
Good point Mark, I hadn't thought of that, but I would definitely consider it if I am in a similar position in the future. I would not refund their deposit, I would discount the week in question by 25% (i.e. the value of the deposit), to ensure that I did in fact get a booking so that I would not be out of pocket.

I have to say that I was a bit nervous about posting my thoughts earlier on as I thought you'd all jump on me for not being sympathetic to that poor lady's awful diagnosis, so I'm glad that you all seem to be in agreement with me.

For what it's worth, this is what we state in our T&Cs, if anyone needs to add it to theirs:
If, after having signed the rental contract, the Lessee requests the contract to be annulled, the Lessor shall be authorised to charge the Lessee the rent agreed in part or in full, i.e. a percentage of the full rent, namely: Up to 56 days before the commencement of the rental period: 25%, thereafter: 100%. Notification of any cancellation must be made and accepted in writing. In the event of a non-insurable cancellation, the Lessor will make every attempt to re-let the Property and if successful a full refund will be made (less any expenses and/or re-advertising costs).
The Lessee is therefore strongly advised to arrange a comprehensive travel insurance policy (including cancellation insurance) and to have full cover for the party’s personal belongings.
In view of Mark's suggestion, I am going to reword it to say "if successful a full refund will be made (less any expenses, price reductions and re-advertising costs incurred). "