Oh dear!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Bellywobble

Oh dear!

Post by Bellywobble »

Having lost both of my July bookings because of our pool problems (it should be fixed in time for what was the second booking, but I couldn't guarantee it), I've now has a cancellation for two weeks in August! :( The guest has just been diagnosed with cancer and would like her deposit returned!
Looks like its going to be a very quiet summer!
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

:cry:
Fil

Post by Fil »

Sorry to hear that. I hope you will book those weeks. There is still a lot of time to go.
Moon Dog

Post by Moon Dog »

:? Ryanair are offering £10 flights during the summer at the moment- a sure sign that the holiday business is slow for all of us. Thomas Cook have been unable to fill their package deals and so are clearing some for as little as £5 for a week in Turkey...

lots of British resorts aren't booked up yet for the summer and it seems that a lot of people are hanging on for last minute deals.

Putting next week on ebay didn't get me a booking but lots of hits and an inquiry for August.

Hope your pool problem gets sorted soon and things pick up!
Manyana Marketing Ltd...
Normandy Cow

Re: Oh dear!

Post by Normandy Cow »

Bellywobble wrote:The guest has just been diagnosed with cancer and would like her deposit returned!
Of course it's a dreadful thing to happen and all my sympathies go out to your guest.

I hate to sound harsh, but I would only return her deposit if I was able to rebook those weeks. Her travel insurance should reimburse her, and if she didn't take out insurance that's not your problem.

I am all for being a caring owner but I don't see why you should be out of pocket because people haven't taken out insurance.

And anyway, shouldn't they have paid the balance of their rental by now? What are your terms? We take the balance 8 weeks before the start of the holiday, precisely to cover us for incidents like this. And although our terms clearly state that there would be no refunds, I would go out of my way to try to relet any cancelled weeks and refund if I can.

Sorry to hear that you are in this awkward situation. Hope it works out OK.

Daisy x
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

The balance was due on the 20th, but I forgot to send a reminder :oops: I'll not forget again!

I've just drafted an email asking if she has insurance. I was going to say that we would refund the deposit if we can re let the week, but didn't because if she has insurance it should be covered anyway, surely?

I suspect she hasn't though and if she comes back to say that, I will offer to refund if I can get another booking.

I am sooo looking forward to going on holiday next week :D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Bellywobble wrote: The guest has just been diagnosed with cancer and would like her deposit returned!
Looks like its going to be a very quiet summer!

I had the same thing BW, but fortunately they cancelled 6 months in advance, so I was able to re-let fairly easily and I did refund the deposit. Your case is different as there is no guarantee that you will re-let the weeks.
The fact that it has been cancelled due to a serious illness puts you in an extremely uncomfortable position, but you need to write and say something like 'I'm very sorry to hear about your illness, you should find that your travel insurance will cover the payments already made for the holiday. I'm afraid that as our ts and cs state, I am unable to return the non refundable deposit.'
You have my total sympathy on this one BW, I hope it works out OK, please let us know.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Daisy,
I hate to sound harsh, but I would only return her deposit if I was able to rebook those weeks. Her travel insurance should reimburse her, and if she didn't take out insurance that's not your problem.
I don’t think you are being harsh at all. If people decide to save a little money by not taking out holiday insurance they must accept that they are themselves taking on the risks involved. If something goes wrong they suffer the financial loss.

Having sympathy is an entirely different subject.

Alan
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think people forget that 'private rentals' are businesses too. They wouldn't get that money back from a tour op, their insurance would cover it. Offer to provide them with a receipt for the deposit if they don't already have one.
Moon Dog

Post by Moon Dog »

If you can re-let and refund the deposit then you will hopefully get great word of mouth recommendations. Maybe. Maybe not. At least you will feel good about yourself!

Terrible to have to consider this but my big question would be: Is the sob story true? If it were me I'd wouldn't dare ask for the deposit to be returned if I was unable to keep my end of a deal. I certainly wouldn't play on someone's sympathies by advertising my illness.
Manyana Marketing Ltd...
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Normandy Cow wrote: I hate to sound harsh, but I would only return her deposit if I was able to rebook those weeks. Her travel insurance should reimburse her, and if she didn't take out insurance that's not your problem.
I agree. If it's in your t&cs that a deposit is non-refundable, then you should gently but firmly point that out to them, along with profuse sympathies, of course. Perhaps you could offer a discount on a future booking to sweeten the pill?

A similar thing happened to me earlier this year - a parent had leukaemia. But the guest said that "of course" she understood she was forfeiting her deposit. As it was two weeks before her due arrival (I take final payment just a week before because I have so many short/last-minute lets) I was sure I wouldn't be able to rent that month (she'd booked all of April). I did offer her a reduction on a future rental.

As it turned out, I reduced my rates and filled more than half so was able to refund part of her deposit - which she was surprised and delighted at!

Fingers crossed that you get more bookings for the cancelled period! :)
Lounging on the lily pad...
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I think she is really ill as I have been offered her medical notes by the person who contacted me on her behalf, so I think she is genuine.
I've emailed just asking them to let me know if she has insurance. I'll let you know what happens.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I'm with others on this. If your T&Cs state the deposit is non refundable then you should stick to that, no matter what the circumstances are. You may need that deposit to discount the cancelled weeks.

Over the last couple of years I've had one cancellation due to the death of the lady's husband, she didn't ask for a refund of her deposit and this year I've had a cancellation for 2 weeks in July from someone (who booked over a year ago) because "we've decided not to go". They asked for their money back but were firmly but politely told no.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I hadn't thought of that Mark1 I've just taken out a late deal ad with Holiday Lettings and my OH said that if we get one to take off the price of the ad, but I hadn't thought about the need to cover the discount we have had to offer. You are so right!
enid

Post by enid »

I agree - it's sad and a real shame but you aren't responsible and you need that money now to try to relet. If you relet then they can have it back - I suspect this is the least of their worries anyway at the moment.

I am sorry that you are having such a difficult season.