Food basics

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Ah I think I know her Helen, Carol Bush (also known as Bushy I believe!). If she is the one I am thinking off her other half is a Ski Instructor??

I don't leave anything for my guests :oops: but I am just a little studio. Maybe I should think about it for next season.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I only leave a bottle of wine, so don't worry about it.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

HelenB wrote:I only leave a bottle of wine, so don't worry about it.
We leave a bottle of wine for the adults and little presents on the kids pillows - Jane asks for age/gender and has a supply of appropriate pressies for the cleaner to put out - only £2 or £3 but often commented on in the guest book.

John
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We've also left small Easter and Christmas gifts for the kids. Now we have our storeroom though, I will do a bit more for next winter.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

As I'm just starting on this rentals game, I haven't had any comments yet about what I leave. I have organised with my agent to leave a welcome pack - they do a standard one for 25 euros (a bit more than I meant to pay but it may be worth it). I've also made sure there's a supply of cleaning essentials, soap in dispensers, toilet roll and charcoal for the BBQ, though these come with the injunction to please replace if you use the very last drop, so that could be a bit like pass the parcel.

But as a guest, we have only had a full-on welcome pack once, which was in a Meon Villa in Gozo, and it was a total surprise, and very welcome, which is why I decided to do it. In another apartment there was tea and coffee and milk and biscuits, and in another, which advertised a welcome pack, there didn't seem to be anything, and eventually I realised she meant 'just help yourself to anything from our cupboard', which I suppose was OK but, as a guest, I never touch anything belonging to the owner except the washing up liquid and maybe olive oil if there is some.

And on the other side of the coin, we arrived in Carcassonne to find not even a toilet roll (fortunately I always go equipped!), and we thought that was very poor.

So I think on balance I agree with leaving a welcome pack. It doesn't have to be really special, just, as Mols says, something to keep the wolf from the door while you unpack.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

25€!!!? I leave a really over the top welcome pack and it doesn't cost me anywhere near that much! At least I don't think it does, maybe I should check! I'd be interested to know what would be in it?
I have thought about revising mine and cutting back to a few choice items, but so many people have commented on it in the guest book so I think it could be confusing to change now.
We have a note in our info folder that everything in the apartment is for the use of guests, just so they know, and I also make a point of telling them that what's in the fridge is fresh, not somebody's leftovers!
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Yes BW, I think it's a lot. I'm waiting for my current tenants to come back so that I can ask them. For the previous tenants I put together something myself which cost me about 15 euros because I included a bottle of Cava to celebrate them being my first tenants, but I was a bit shocked at the price. Obviously it includes the time of the person putting it together, but even so I think it's over the top.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Talking of welcome packs, we happened to be at our house just after the caretaker had been, my 1st opportunity to see what she actually leaves and I was shocked to discover that she's only been putting out the stuff I keep for her in the store cupboard, ie pot of jam and packet of biscuits!! :shock:

I do tell our guests that there will be a WP so now will be emailing them all expressing my apologies and embarrassment :oops: Last time we discussed it, Sept 06, I know it was supposed to be milk, butter, various cheeses etc so need to get that sorted out now before the next lot go in.

Thankfully she did leave the wine though :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I've started leaving some cold beers in the fridge as well as the wine and they have been REALLY appreciated after a long journey.
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I add welcome packs by ear. We have a Scottish family in the Virginia property right now so they received a bottle of Virginia wine, sodas for the kids, cookies etc. I tend to offer more to overseas guests as usually they have just flown in that day. Local guests such as a bride and groom party we had in May will receive fresh cut flowers in every bedroom, a congrats card and a bottle of wine. Mum always has some Scottish goodies and coffee on ready for our Edinburgh guests. It's not something I advertise as these extra touches all differ and depend on their length of stay, 'locals' (those within a 60 mile radius or so) always seem to arrive with groceries.