Discounting to fill up those vacant weeks

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Rocket Rab

Re: Discounting to fill up those vacant weeks

Post by Rocket Rab »

gino wrote:
Well, I feel quite satisfied by the response to my first real year of renting out my France and Turkey properties. I've had over 10 weeks for both of them.
Hi Gino,

Well, I don't know your market, obviously, so it's difficult for me to gauge the likelihood of those elusive bookings coming in at the last minute. However, if you feel you've already done ok for this year, I would be tempted to sit tight and hang on for one booking at 600 squids, rather than two at 300 (with the risk you might end up with zero squids, of course!). I had a look at your availability calendar, and see you have managed to fill the first two weeks of July, which are the difficult ones. And from my own experience I would say there are always some people too busy to organise their holidays until the last second.. so if you have the courage, don't discount (but be flexible in negotiations, obviously...)

Fingers crossed. Rab.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Well, there you go, following on from my last post, I think I might finally be getting the hang of 'my market', the people just e-mailed to book and are paying for 11 nights but staying 10. They had asked for 10 or 11 nights and I said I would only do 11. The down side is that the 3 nights I have lost are after the last set depart, so no chance of booking them.

However, as I said before, I discounted by £100 last year and got both weeks book BUT I did a quick reckie last night before quoting and worked out that 2 one week bookings at a £100 discount, compared to the 1 eleven night booking (and saving on a changeover clean/linen) I am only £62 worse off.

My goodness, I have taken 2 bookings in 2 days, a first for little old me :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Party, Good for you.... :wink:

Ive got a cancelled week in July to get rid of and have thought of Ebay but 'I havent a clue what to do' :roll: [thats a song aint it :roll: ] Probably chat my daughter up to do it as she very Ebay minded :wink: ....
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

How good is that Party! Well done!

And of course they think you're wonderful because you're accommodating their 11 days even tho' you're losing 3 :D
So a win - win all round!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
gpck

Post by gpck »

Big Sis.. wrote: Ive got a cancelled week in July to get rid of and have thought of Ebay but 'I havent a clue what to do' :roll: [thats a song aint it :roll: ] ...
Blockbuster by The Sweet I fink...

Getting back to the original topic, no we don't offer big discounts for last minute bookings - we'd rather leave our place empty than subsidise a strangers' holiday...
gpck
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Thanks for the advice everyone. Quite a range there from half price to pretty much no discount at all. I think I'm leaning more towards no real discount but open to negotiation.
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
gpck

Post by gpck »

gino wrote: I think I'm leaning more towards no real discount but open to negotiation.
Sounds good to me... :D
gpck
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Well I was getting very dispondant about all this talk of cutting prices as mine are so low anyhow. I had two weeks left in July and one at the end of August.

Anyhow two days ago I had two enquiries and both converted! As the one in July was for two weeks and it was so near to going, I asked the gentleman to get cash out of his bank and pay straight into my bank today. By 11.30am the money was paid, I went down to the post office with the keys to send special delivery because of the postal strike and we are all happy bunnies :lol:

I also asked the other lady to pay by bank transfer as it's not that long until she goes and there were no problems there either.

I think there may be a flurry of last minute bookings, especially with the wonderful weather we are having in the UK at the moment :?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Good for your AF :wink: ..

As you say the weather in UK has been awful this Month :(
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Long may it Phiss down :lol:

Good for bookings, not for those of us stuck in it.

On a more serious note....Those poor people in the north are really suffering, can't imagine what they are going through. Sympathies to anyone affected by the flooding. :cry:

Ruth
ashtondav

Post by ashtondav »

Emphasises the need for good and comprehensive insurance. At home AND abroad...
Sometimes i sits and thinks - and sometimes i just sits...
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Big Sis.. wrote:Hi Party, Good for you.... :wink:

Ive got a cancelled week in July to get rid of and have thought of Ebay but 'I havent a clue what to do' :roll: [thats a song aint it :roll: ] Probably chat my daughter up to do it as she very Ebay minded :wink: ....
Just go for it - register on e-Bay and then state that you want to sell something and it leads you through it with suggestions and lots of help. You can check it all before you launch the auction, so it is very easy to try it out and then spot what you would like to change and go back into edit. We use e-Bay to fill gaps, but more for finding new guests and getting cheapish publicity. We include a link to our own website, which I think may be against the rules, but we've never had any problems.

John
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

OOERR John :( ..
I did start to do it yesterday but panicked a bit :roll: ...also Im away myself Sat so not sure how I could sort stuff...or is that just an excuse :roll: ...
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hoorah..Yippadeedoodah... :wink: :D

I only went and gone and done it :shock:

And its thanks to you lot :!: I was thinking i really should have another go at this John and others are gonna reply and say you can do this......and I thought right here goes..Im SOO chuffed you lot on here really motivate me to do techy stuff Im fwightened of
[and I know its not a big deal to most of ya but it is too me :wink: ] Mind you Im not going to let ya see it cos its probably cwap...but I dont Care :!: Im soo pleased and Im not even bothered if it goes or not now :)
Tra...lala..lala :P :D ..

EDIT OOER :shock: im getting people asking me questions now....Oh my Goodness that was quick..5 mins..[Ive probably put it on for 2 pence or something :roll: ]

Right what shall I ave a go at now[nobody mention Websites then you would be 'aving a laugh :!: :roll: :lol: ]
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Well done you!! :D
I think you're deffo ready to move on to, err, websites? :shock: :lol:
xx RR