OH dear part 2

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Hells Bells

OH dear part 2

Post by Hells Bells »

My brother-in-law and his family are meant to be staying in our apartment next month. All looking forward to it. However his youngest has broken her ankle, and they won't be able to come. :cry:
As they are family I will have to send back the (very reduced) money they have paid me, and try and get another booking. They don't have holiday insurance, which isn't my fault, but I know how much they struggle for money.
He is trying to change his holidays so they can go at another time, but it may not be possible.

:cry:
Moon Dog

Post by Moon Dog »

Ouch! :(

Good luck re-booking. At least with family you can be pretty sure that their business will come around again.
Manyana Marketing Ltd...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm sorry Helen, what a pain! Renting to friends and family is a nightmare, things like this put you in a really awkward position, you can't enforce the T's and C's as you can with strangers. I hope BIL manages to change his holiday and you get a booking for other dates.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

What a shame Helen,

I know it can't be helped but it's sod's law isn't it?

We gave my brother a two week 'freebie' the first year we had our property. that was fine, we weren't renting it out at the time. He went again the next year asking for three weeks. We swallowed it and obliged. The following year I had to say No. The amount we would lose on rental was getting too much. I offered him a discount but he obviously didn't want it enough, he went to America instead!!

I bet your neice is disappointed. Hope she gets better soon.

Ruth

Forgot to mention that the second year we said just give us what you think it is worth to you. On his return he gave me an envelope with £50 in it and said ' hope theat covers the electric.' :shock:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Poor little thing is in plaster for at least 8 weeks I think, so even the week I have offered them at the end of August may not be late enough, and kids will be back at school in September. Financially, we did charge them as it was July, but only enough to cover costs. We have also booked bed and breakfast for ourselves in the area for the Friday evening, so we could meet up with them. We don't see them very often as they live in Holland.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Kipz wrote:On his return he gave me an envelope with £50 in it and said ' hope theat covers the electric.' :shock:
Bl**dy cheek!

Helen, not wanting to sound funny, but why can't she come? Surely she will be in a cast, and yes it is not ideal, but can't they adapt their holiday around her? Children are very resilient, and I'm sure she'll be very mobile in a very short time.

Or am I being unsympathetic?
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

oh hecks all round :cry:
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

What a shame! I do sympathise! :(
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

She has to stay with her leg raised up for two weeks,and then the plaster has to be changed. It is only a week and a half till their holiday. Our village being a ski resort is a good place to be with broken bones though. The village doc and the physio iare excellent.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

One out, one in :D . Booking for August from some previous guests.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

YAY!!!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

They are such lovely guests too. I'm very pleased they are coming back.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

One door shuts.....Good news Helen. :lol:

Ruth
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

More than makes up for the lost money from the outlaws too.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Wow!
At 7.26pm (on my clock at least) you tell us of the cancellation.
Then at 8.10 pm - a mere 44 minutes later - you have a replacement booking!! :shock: :o :D

Very impressive!! (even allowing for the probability that you didn't tell us the very moment they cancelled.)

Is this a record?
Lounging on the lily pad...