To Charge or Not to Charge?[relatives that is]

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

With direct flights only being available May-Oct (& them not wanting to pay more than £12 for their flights :lol: ) the only time family/friends can stay is at the start or end of the season when we're not renting out (unfortunately the house rental is too expensive for them to even think of paying).

We pick them up from the airport, shop, cook and clean and then deposit them back for their return flight.
Some are really good and insist on taking us out for meals etc,
others perhaps give a cursory nod in the way of picking up the tab in a cheap restaurant :lol: ...but I don't get wound up by it anymore. It's nice to see people, we can afford to pick up the tab now, and if it ever got too much I would be happy to say so.

One thing tho' - we never stay with them....so I don't think people understand how much extra work it is, and especially when you're working full time as well.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Mousie Fwend...Bagsy me :wink:
but I don't get wound up by it anymore. It's nice to see people, we can afford to pick up the tab now
Hows ya fixed for May then :wink: Im good at that there cursory nodding :wink: :) ..... :lol: :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Greenfrog,
Part of my reason for going into holiday rentals rather than long-term was so that I could offer a place to family and friends who are always putting me up at their homes.
We’re obviously very different. I didn’t go into holiday rentals or long-term rentals so that I could offer free accommodation for anyone. Mind you, nobody is obliged to put me up in their homes, ever.

Alan
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

The only family who stay for free are my (grown up ) kids.

Well, the way I look at it, I used a chunk of their inheritance to pay for the property :?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Alan Knighting wrote:Greenfrog,
Part of my reason for going into holiday rentals rather than long-term was so that I could offer a place to family and friends who are always putting me up at their homes.
We’re obviously very different. I didn’t go into holiday rentals or long-term rentals so that I could offer free accommodation for anyone. Mind you, nobody is obliged to put me up in their homes, ever.

Alan
I don't think anybody goes into it to offer free accommodation to just anyone. I see close friends as not just anyone and it is for that reason that I find it difficult to charge them, although I probably will in future, depending on when they want to come and see us.

I understand what Greenfrog is saying, it has nothing to do with obligation, it is about joyfully repaying some of the wonderful hospitality willingly offered by good friends over the years.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

understand what Greenfrog is saying, it has nothing to do with obligation, it is about joyfully repaying some of the wonderful hospitality willingly offered by good friends over the years.
and so do I ..Good For You[and her] :wink:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

e-richard wrote:The only family who stay for free are my (grown up ) kids.
Well, the way I look at it, I used a chunk of their inheritance to pay for the property :?
Agree with you E-Rich, I have given and would certainly give again hols to my relentlessly ungrateful descendant, but only off-season (or last minute), and he pays for the laundry and cleaning.
Just remember it's not their inheritance yet, and besides - they'll still get it when your clogs are popped. For the moment, it's mine, all mine!

Mols :wink:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

For the moment, it's mine, all mine!
:wink: :lol: :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Sarah wrote:I understand what Greenfrog is saying, it has nothing to do with obligation, it is about joyfully repaying some of the wonderful hospitality willingly offered by good friends over the years.
I don’t see friendship in terms of repayment but others obviously do. If I did I would ask “when does pay back start?�

Alan
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I don’t see friendship in terms of repayment but others obviously do
Maybe 'reciprocate' is a better word but the sentiment is understood and understandable.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All..

Well for me my Children dont Pay[of course] sadly my Parents werent here we bought the houses but they wouldnt pay..or Inlaws...
My neice and family have been coming every year Oct half term and pay half[and there very happy to and insist on taking us out for meals as well......]They have the house next door...While we have the other one[It is handy having 2 as you can have peoples company but still your privacy :wink: ] :)
Its great cos we are there and she lives in Plymouth and we dont get to see them that often....
Shes always saying if you get the chance to book it out full whack you must..I have and I wouldnt...
Im glad I started off getting her to pay cos I know she wouldnt still be coming if we hadnt as shes not that sort...
Chriss Brothers have started going out and we charge them half as well..
His Sister & BIL came out early on but shared a house with us so we didnt charge but she helped towards car hire..Food etc...and paid for some meals...
I wouldnt let them have Peak though..But it gets booked early [gone next year] so that doesnt arise....
Friends Id play by ear..There some really good friends that have shared times with me[good and bad] who I couldnt
consider charging but there the sort who wouldnt let me not charge em...There are others who would take advantage if given a chance...but that wouldnt happen either :wink:

It is interesting listening to all your different viewpoints....We all have different ones but thats what makes em interesting aint it :wink: :)
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Partridge wrote:
I don’t see friendship in terms of repayment but others obviously do
Maybe 'reciprocate' is a better word but the sentiment is understood and understandable.
Thanks Partridge, that's exactly the word I was looking for but couldn't find :D .
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Sarah wrote:
I see close friends as not just anyone and it is for that reason that I find it difficult to charge them ...
It depends. We're always pleased to accommodate family and friends and are delighted when they come and visit. However, staying in our house involves an element of compromise: they may have to sleep on the settee, they may have to queue for the bathroom, they may be woken by a big smelly dog tucked up in bed with them, they may have to fit in with our schedule, they may have to understand that paying guests come first and some facilities are off limits. But, if they're close family or real friends, I can't imagine any of the above would be a problem - it's usually part of the fun of being together.

If they make it clear they'd prefer the pristine luxury of a gite rather than our messy house - sorry - but they have to pay like everybody else. One is hospitality freely given. The other is a business which demands payment in full.

Jim
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Wise words Jim[as always]

I think youve just about nailed it with that post...
Good for you :wink: :)
debk

Post by debk »

double ditto what jimbo says

(except, of course, my precious precious puppy isn't smelly :roll: :lol: )
debk