Balance due while I'm away

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
guest 4

Balance due while I'm away

Post by guest 4 »

I will be in Cyprus for a month from 22nd July.

I have two balance payments due while I am there, not sure what to do about this. Should I ask very kindly for them to send them early? If I just leave it and don't tell them I'm away I won't be able to send them a confirmation for the receipt of their cheque, they will wonder why. Perhaps I should tell them I'm away and let them have a couple of weeks grace, but that will leave it close to their departure.

Not good planning I know, but I'm not going to plan my holiday around balance payments. :lol:

Ruth
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ruth, not much good to you now, but it was one of the reasons I set up the Paypal account. In the early days, I accepted cheques , and had a payment due while I was away. I had no way of knowing if I had received it or not. At least with Paypal, I can send the invoice, and they then just click the link to pay. I get an email confirmation. I don't check email all the time, but I will do so if I have a balance due, or get an enquiry SMS.
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Helen,

I keep saying I'm going to look into this Paypal Lark, but like a lot of stuff, I don't seem to quite get around to it.

Then I read the thread about the paypal scam and it put me off again. :shock:

I like the idea of a cheque in my hand, although it means nothing, just a bit of paper. I really must keep up with the times! :lol: (Oh heck, I sound like my mother again!!)

Ruth
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Hi Ruth

I have the same problem as I'm away for a month (same time/different country) :lol: I also have keys to send out and a deposit cheque to send back. I'm lucky as my daughter will be at home and I will get all the envelopes ready in advance and put 'post it' notes on with the dates I need things to go out. She opens my post so will let me know what comes in.

Is it possible for you to email your guests and get them to send the cheque to another address, explaining the position and get the person who receives the cheque to pay it into your account for you? I have online banking so would be able to see when the money goes in.

Hope this helps
Alison
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Alison,

I have managed to work the key sending around our holiday so no problem with that.

I could leave pre-printed reciepts with my mum who will be feeding my cat while I am away, good idea on the whole, but she will probably end up sending it to British Gas knowing her!!! :lol:

Whilst she is brilliant at feeding cats and doing a spring clean while I am away (bless her) I'm not sure how she will cope with knowing which guest has sent the cheque and send the right envelope.

I'm probably doing her an injustice, I think I will go with that, if I leave clear instructions and stamped addressed envelopes I think she will cope. Thanks.

Ruth
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Pleasure :D
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Ruth, you could give them your bank account details, and get them to pay it directly into your bank account?
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Helen said
Ruth, you could give them your bank account details, and get them to pay it directly into your bank account?
That's what we do Ruth...as we live in Spain we are unable to accept UK cheques in the post so we give our guests our savings account number and request that they either make a payment over the counter at any branch of our bank or if they have online banking make a transfer online. We have online banking and can check movements.

Giving a savings account number is the safest way to receive money and fraudsters are unable to set up direct debit payments to a savings account.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I think Helen and Bagpuss's idea is good (get them to pay directly into your bank), but if that's not possible, could you maybe ask them to send the cheques to you in Cyprus? What is the post like out there? If it's fairly good, then once you have received the cheques, you could send them back their confirmations, and also send the cheques to your bank....

A bit more expensive in postage cost (pennies though), but feasible.
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

You don't live far from me Ruth and I'm not going away again till September, so if you want you could always ask them to send the cheque to my address. If we meet up I could send the conf letters out for you too if you want.
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
guest 4

Post by guest 4 »

Hi Party, thanks for your kind offer, always suprised how kind everyone is.

Problem solved, I have already received one of the payments, he sent it early. very nice of him.

The second guest has agreed to send it directly to my mum's address, she will bank it for me and I will give her a pre printed receipt to send.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Ruth
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Kip..Never be surprised how helpful they all are :!: ...didnt I tell ya didnt I many many moons ago..and never be surprised by Party shes a real goodun..hope you had nice hols Party..and youre sons on the mend Take carexx
and you kip as well of coursexx
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Ooerr Ros, you'll have me blushing in a minute :oops: yes, thanks, all beginning to recharge our batteries now, hope you're having fun :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm