Damage deposit - how much?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

La Vache wrote: Well, that is interesting, the operator I spoke to about Intasure policies definitely told me the excess was only £50 (and I was very specific about including guest damage in the cover).
I was definitely told £250. Are you sure about the £50? If so, please let me know as I will have to call them to find out if I could get a better deal!
La Vache wrote:Do you know what sort of proof they want NC?

Sorry Vache, don't understand what you mean. Proof about what?
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

La Vache wrote: Sarah, have you ever claimed from your company and if so, was it quite straightforward and easy to get the pay out?
LV, I haven't had to claim thankfully, it's not Intasure it's MPF (Mutuelle des Provinces de France), so I really don't know. Our broker was fairly confident about them but then I suppose she would be!

I took the policy out in 2005, our first summer as it was the only one I could find at the time to cover accidental damage by guests. I meant to look around this year as there seem to be more policies available now, but missed the 2 month dealine for cancellation of my existing policy. I'd be interested to hear peoples' opinion of Intasure for next year.
firstgreen

Post by firstgreen »

Although we take a £100 per week damage deposit we only cash it if we get all male golf groups or for those bookings that are hard work (late payment, constant chasing etc.)

Why bother taking a damage deposit and not banking?
Hopefully guests are careful as we have their cheque we can cash if they cause damage, although they could stop the cheque if they are that way out. Plus less admin work for us.

Accidents happen in holiday lets. We drop plates, have a child that spills drinks and expect guests to do the same. We would only deduct from the deposit if the damage was severe anyway.

If the damage was extensive, e.g. broken settee, garden furniture etc. a £100 damage deposit wouldn’t cover the expense anyway.

That why have insurance to reduce the risk of letting to strangers. I would claim on our insurance with Schofields as the excess is only £50 and it covers us for accidental damage and malicious damage done by guests.

If we get our fingers burnt :shock: then maybe we will start to cash every cheque.

At the moment it works fine for us.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Firstgreen
I take £100 as well but do cash it.....Ive only ever kept it once in 4 years and thats both houses so its not too bad...
I wouldnt consider keeping it for small things either,,,but I spose the rentors dont know that and I do get niggled when they dont let me know things are broke so I cant get em fixed...I think theyre worried I will keep some money back...
so I can see both sides..the cd player wasnt working when we went out ,though the radio and cassette was..so we replaced it of course..this is wear and tear in my book....
The main reasons I do it is cos Paula who cleans said I ought and shes done it for years and looks after other houses...and a lot on here do...[though a lot on here dont as well]
The other reason is getting keys back..it still takes ages for them to get round to sending them back so without the deposit Im sure it would be even worse..
Noone has ever queried or moaned about it..and I give them the option of sending it with the balance 8 weeks before or just before I send the keys out....
Its a bit of a faff but hasnt been a problem really and yes I do cash it.. :wink:
The worse damage Ive had was a marble sink surround which was demolished..by a 'friend' who saw/did nothing...and no I hadnt taken a deposit :!: :roll: but was covered by insurance :wink:

This is one of those subjects that we all have to make up our minds about but as long as different views are treated with respect I think thats the beauty of this Forum..if people disagree but feel they cant say so then weve lost that input..but in the end its the individuals decision of course...just chatting on here might help someone come to their decision :!:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Big Sis said ...
The worse damage Ive had was a marble sink surround which was demolished..by a 'friend' who saw/did nothing
I have had exactly the same damage to our marble sink surround!...and if it were not for a friend of mine having the same mishap then I would not have known how it was caused!

She had a pool party for her Daughter's birthday and one of the lads sat on the edge of the basin, cracking it...so obviously the weight of the basin had no support..so in turn the pipework under the basin cracked also!

We had guests who did the same damage 2 years ago...The guests played dumb...but I related the story to them and their teenage Son actually managed to look very guilty! We had a back to back change-over..so had to run like headless chickens to Leroy Merlin, get a totally new unit...as we could not get the same marble surround to fit the old basin!

If I didn't know better I would have just accepted it as 'wear and tear'! Just to make a comparison....the other marble surround in the ensuite is still going strong after 6 years!...so what does that tell you! :roll: :wink:
Last edited by Guest3 on Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Big Sis.. wrote:The other reason is getting keys back..it still takes ages for them to get round to sending them back so without the deposit Im sure it would be even worse..
I'm another one who cashes the damage deposit cheque and I do make a point of saying that I will. I was given this tip by another LMH'er and I can't say it's a problem having to write out a cheque to send back when I get the keys back.

Big Sis, so far I haven't had a problem getting keys back quickly. When I send them, I pop them inside a stamped addressed jiffy bag (but don't seal it) and then put the jiffy bag into an A5 envelope. This means that when they get home they don't have to faff around looking for an envelope or my address or having to get stamps. I know it costs a little more to pay for the jiffy bag and postage home (large 1st class stamp) but I usually get the keys within a couple of days of them getting home.

Alison
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Re Keys....after a bad experience :( ....I now ask guests to lock up and put the keys in the locked letterbox when they leave. We're always at the villa within half an hour of departure on changeover days so I pick them up anyway.

Suppose this sytem will only work if you have site agents/cleaners. ...but if you're not on site or live in another country then posting the keys back is the only option.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Crystal thats what we figured.....We had extra supports put uner them both now...Thing is when I mentioned Oh it wasnt like that..Oh it must have been broken by the cleaners...It was perfect when we left..but then when I said it was marble ..I dont think it was there was something like sawdust coming out....oops :oops: Maybe my daughter might have got up[she was only about 4 at the time]..and I didnt notice..It was hanging off the wall..... :shock:
What really upset me was that the next people had arrived and it wasnt fixed for a few days later[had trouble getting the marble]...and as usual in these circumstances when you really expect a backlash they were lovely..
there was 7 of them with really one useable bathroom and a loo..my daughter went out to the other house and i said tell them to have that house if they like..tell them Im really sorry etc etc..they came on the phone in the end to tell me to stop worrying..
they were having a wonderful time it really wasnt a problem they could use the sink in the kitchen and the houses were great..
Of course I did send them a small refund which I know they werent expecting and have they been again ..Yes..twice so there you go :roll: :!:

and has my friend :?:
...not on your Nelly weve been booked surprisingly :o for all the dates she wanted :roll:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Ali Thanks for that Thats a good idea :idea: ...
I do send them in a jiffy and some do reuse that I also send them signed for and most send them back that way as well..but putting a self addressed one inside might help.... :wink:...Thanks :)
I do have 5 sets[x 5 keys] for each house and Paula has 2 but I like to send them early....I also give an extra front door and pool gate key on another fob per house,dont know if others do...makes it better if people go out separately and can still get access also when theyre round the pool they dont have to take the full house set with them...
Theres a balcony door key hanging in the wardrobe in the main bedroom..on a long chain as well so that if they need to get out quickly at night they dont have to look for the keys...