UK legal requirements when checking in ?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
TheMegaughins

UK legal requirements when checking in ?

Post by TheMegaughins »

My wife and I have bought the flat next door and are starting to let it out as a pet-friendly self-catering flat for tourists visiting Edinburgh.

I know that whenever I check into a hotel in Italy I'm asked for my passport, which they keep for a few hours, presumably to record it's details which are passed onto the authorities.

So, should we also record passport details of foreign visitors ?
Is this a UK legal requirement ?
Are the Italians just more security conscious than us Brits ?

I'm thinking of asking for guest's full name, passport number, country, expiry date, date of birth

But if this isn't a requirement, and I can't find anything on the web to suggest it is, am I breeching the data protection act for asking questions I have no right to ?

Any guidance appreciated.
A J Megaughin
Edinburgh, Scotland
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

sorry, I've no idea, but I have no doubt someone who does know will be along shortly. Oh and welcome to LMH btw!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I have no idea either but if I owned a self-catering property in the UK, it wouldn't cross my mind to take passport details - I haven't heard any UK property owners mention this. Someone will come along soon I'm sure to put us wise! Welcome from me too meanwhile!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Sorry, I haven't a clue either but I ask for the passport number of the lead person on my booking form for Spain. Actually not sure why I did this, maybe it just looks like I mean business :wink: Anyhow, no-one has ever objected to giving it. I've also asked for D.O.B. and someone once wrote "collecting my pension"! :lol:
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I've never actually heard of this. I've also booked many a self catering place in Scotland (and sometimes from a rental company not direct from owner) and not had to provide passport details either. Interesting though.

Also welcome to LMH! Has the weather improved from last month any?!!! :shock:
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

This is a weird Italy law :-)
all visitors must register with the questura (kind of like registering with the police)...if you stay in a hotel, etc. they do the registration for you. I don't think it applies to other countries...not that I know of anyway.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Taking passport details (the number, at least) has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

As I don't take a security deposit, I thought it might provide me with some form of flimsy protection, but I haven't given much thought as to how it would work.

Possibly the mere fact of asking for such details might act as a deterrent? :?

PS: I should add that I am based in France, not the UK
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Rocket Rab wrote:Taking passport details (the number, at least) has crossed my mind on more than one occasion.

As I don't take a security deposit, I thought it might provide me with some form of flimsy protection, but I haven't given much thought as to how it would work.

Possibly the mere fact of asking for such details might act as a deterrent? :?

PS: I should add that I am based in France, not the UK
In France (for a gite rural in any case) you are supposed fill in a police form and take it to the gendarmes for every foreign person who stays in the property. The details are name, address in foreign country, nationality, date of birth & age. I don't do it and don't know anyone who does. I don't think my guests would be too chuffed either as we have some big groups stay.
L’OUVERTURE ET L’EXPLOITATION D’UN GÎTE RURAL (updated 13/04/07)
B. Cas particulier de la clientèle étrangère
L’exploitant d’un gîte rural est tenu de faire remplir et signer à tous ses clients de nationalité étrangère une fiche individuelle de police.
Les informations suivantes doivent être portées sur la fiche :

- le nom et le(s) prénom(s) de la personne ;
- sa date et son lieu de naissance ;
- sa nationalité ;
- l’adresse de son domicile habituel de l’étranger.
Elle doit être remise le jour même aux autorités de police.
Remarque : le modèle de fiche de police a été défini réglementairement. Il est possible de se le procurer auprès de la préfecture.
Last edited by la vache! on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Very interesting, LV, thanks. I wasn't aware of that requirement! Yet another form (or two!) to keep some fonctionnaire in a job - do they actually look at these things? :roll:
Ju

Post by Ju »

We did it for the first couple of years, but just ended up with a load of paperwork we didn't use so we gave up.