This is a first for me....

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
gpck

Post by gpck »

Big Sis.. wrote:
Never known to be right before - so the wife tells me, anyway...
Well you were right when you said you were in Bury St Edmunds and not Florida..werent ya :roll: ..but then again did you have to check by looking out of the Window :wink: :lol: :lol:
Aha, I was in Cambridge at the time I wrote that!!!
gpck
gpck

Post by gpck »

e-richard wrote:
gino wrote:I think I'll give them a call.
Good move Gino.

The website looks, and probably is totally legit, but I'll bet a weeks pocket money that Jason Kroupa does not work there, or it was not he who sent the email.

I am Richard, and I want to send you money.
My home website is www.msn.com

Easy huh ?
The branch where the address relates to is known as Kroupa & Something (can't remember the other name :oops: )...
gpck
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

[/quote]

My home website is www.msn.com

Easy huh ?[/quote]

Good point, Richard.
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I would also go to a site that lets you check the IP address of the email...it may sort it out right then and there if the IP address is from...well...not to stereotype...but Nigeria or somewhere else unexpected.
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Musetta wrote:I would also go to a site that lets you check the IP address of the email...it may sort it out right then and there if the IP address is from...well...not to stereotype...but Nigeria or somewhere else unexpected.
How do I do that, Musetta?
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I'm NO expert AT ALL *laugh* so someone with more tech knowledge will probably respond with an even better way :-) but try this www.ip-adress.com
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Feel free Richard im a bit skint at the Mo :wink: :lol:
J&J

Post by J&J »

I would say it's legit. We've been to Motueka a few times and have family who live just around the corner from the shop, so let me know if you have a problem and we'll get them to go and and sort them out !

The kiwis love internet banking (they think they invented it - maybe they did !!) so it's not surprising they've asked to pay you that way.

If you're worried about giving out your bank details then just ask them to pay you in cases of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc - they'd probably be well impressed with that suggestion and few cases of Cloudy Bay could be on their way without too much difficulty !

James
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

If I were in Gino's shoes, I would definitely take you up on the offer of checking them out James!

(What's the saying..."it's not what you know...but who you know!") :wink:
debk

Post by debk »

I'm wondering though how I'm going to go about getting a signed rental agreement, pass over key information, etc????
Gino, I did a booking through an agent only once... but it worked very well. The agent collected the funds from the guests (adding in their commission) and sent my full amount to me via internet banking transfer.

I emailed all the key info directly to the agent, who gave it to the guests. (Guests were not internet savvy, that's where the agent came in.)

As for the rental agreement, I actually just had the guests sign it at check-in as I had a good feeling about the whole thing. You could, however, have the agent handle that, too, and ensure it all gets back to you in a timely fashion.

Hope that helps.
debk
p.s. - The guests were delightful!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Gino...

Well I really do hope it is genuine :!: ..Im sorry if I come over negative it must be galling when youre justifiably chuffed at getting a booking....... :roll: Maybe Im getting too cynical in my old age :) So lets all keep our fingers crossed...and I for one will be delighted to be proved wrong[and yes you can tease me about it when it happens :) ]
Aha, I was in Cambridge at the time I wrote that!!!
Oh Feathers you get about a bit dontya :roll: .....will you please stay in one place Im getting dizzy :roll: :wink: :lol:[/quote]
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Some years ago, before we were quite so 'internet savvy' we used a couple of holiday brokers to find us somewhere.

And even now, if I were looking for a customised package I might still use Travel Counsellors (who I thoroughly recommend if you know what you want but haven't time or inclination to search).

So don't automatically assume this sort of inquiry is a scam.

TC
Debut novelist at http://tinyurl.com/or89jle

http://wivenhoewriters.blogspot.co.uk/
Contributor to anthology 'In a Word: Murder'
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

You could also try looking up a Dan Strong in the local phone book and giving him a call directly.

If you do go ahead with the inquiry, make sure they're only paying you the rental amount (with security deposit) and not attempting to then pay you "extra" for their other expenses.
Lounging on the lily pad...
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

from the site:

"Chris Paulsen, founder and managing director of House of Travel
had a dream that travel could be delivered to the consumer in a
different way..."

no mention of "owner operator" joshua....

I wouldn't block off those dates just yet!
Lounging on the lily pad...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

It's a scam, I've received several of these from several different parts of the world. Don't waste your time Gino.