cats again !

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
fincafern

cats again !

Post by fincafern »

Does anyone know where I can hire or buy a humane cat trap in the Costa del Sol / Alhaurin de la torre area ? I don't mind travelling a long way to fetch it.
I tried an Animal rescue Centre and offered donations, as my friend suggested, but no acknowledgement from them.
I don't want to hurt them, just move them, but they bite and are feral.
Hope someone can advise.
rebel

Post by rebel »

is your reason for wanting to get them moved the same as mine.fouling your garden.I love cats and dogs,but hate cleaning up after other peoples .my cat is 17 yrs old so is a house cat.I have bought some scent off gel pellets here in the uk,and use them ,so i am taking some with me to spain.I have put them in my garden here,and cats since have kept away,so hopefully will do the same in Spain.But if you are needing to remove them ,i don`t know of any other way,unless you buy a dog,that will get rid.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Hi Rebel,
I am not too bothered about them fouling, although it is unpleasant - they come into our in our grounds at night and I would need two sacks of pellets to cover 6000m !
There are so many of them and their numbers keep increasing. People keep dumping them next to the house because someone keeps feeding them who lives half a mile away. I have a terrier but they terrorise him with gang behaviour. They sit round my fish ponds at night and have scarred and killed some. We used to keep hens but they kept killing the chicks. They rip the bins and we have to store them in the house at night. We can't leave the windows open because they break in and rip bread loaves open.
I feel sorry for them and I do like cats very much but not in these numbers. It was ok before when a woman kept trapping and neutering them but she left a year ago and the situation is getting out of hand. I asked a rescue society for a trap but they have ignored me. I can't find one in any ferreterias either. I don't want to hurt them, just move some of them, especially those which are not spayed.
cc

Post by cc »

probably an old wives tale but I was told that if you soak them with water they'll not come back. Don't do if your hose will reach that far!
You don't have to write something on every thread, do you?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Fincafern - there are a couple of animal rescue centres on the CdS mentioned on this site; http://www.animalrescuers.co.uk/html/non_uk.html

Perhaps they could help or put you in touch with someone.

We're lucky on this island to have a charitable group of vets & trappers that travel here twice a year and neuter feral cats. I don't know if you have anything like that in your area.

I do hope you find some help...they sound like they're a right nuisance at the moment.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

They are a real pain at the moment. I will try the water trick when we get our water back on ! Our whole village has been cut off all day and it still isn't on tonight. Fortuately I have a storage tank, water well and pump so my guests are ok, but we are not and I daren't waste precious water on them.
My big English mastiff was able to chase them off but he died a month ago and they know it and have taken over us now, because the little yorkshire terrier is frightened of them.
I will try another rescue society but I don't hold out much hope because the last one totally ignored me - you can't rehome feral cats can you ? I don't think anyone would want these as pets - they bite and scratch if you try to corner them. There are now more than 20 of them ( 70 % neutered ), mostly left behind by animal loving Brits who have had to go back home to the UK - I have seen them do it. They are ones I could poison, not the poor cats !! Sorry for the venom ( pun not intended ) but they make me as cross as I am with my animal rights neighbour who won't stop feeding them when we politely asked. We have had to put up with this for 6 years now and it was first time we have ever said anything. My other neighbours small concreted frontage stinks of cat urine and she is fed up too.
If anyone can think of anything or has had to deal with this problem themselves, please let us know. Desperate !
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I know alot of Spanish people leave bottles of water around the front of their houses where I live and in the gardens...I always thought that this was for watering plants...I've Googled to find out why and I came up with this!
Ever wondered why people put bottles on there lawns? You may have been told its to keep cats away and its true. But does it work and how? First of all we must half fill a clear plastic bottle with water .( Its very important to fill half full of water. ) Put lid on and place in the middle of the lawn. If you have a big lawn then put a few about. Leave out and see if it works! Cats are suppose to be scared away by the bottle, but how you ask? It works best at night and if there a breeze. Take a light say from a street lamp, car or one of your windows. This light travels through the bottle and the water which is then reflected away like laser beams in different directions giving off little flashes. The cat sees these flashes and Zap! He's away. There you have it so go out and try it out on your lawn.

Worth a try I suppose....(If my local Spanish neighbours do it...it must work!).

Good Luck!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Ive heard that as well Crystal :)
as you say a lot of Spanish have these bottles near there houses.. :wink:
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Thanks, Crystal, am off to try that right now with some well water - I have seen a similar thing here - hanging bottles of water, but I thought they were for scaring flies and mozzies away. I'll try anything and let you know what happens !
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I've also heard that cats don't like citrus, and I've used various citrus-flavored sprays (and orange peels) to prevent my cats from scratching or peeing in a particular place. Seems to work on my 2 but on 20? I'm not sure; that sounds like a nightmare.
Brooke
rebel

Post by rebel »

lemon juice etc keep them from fouling,but the water bottle thing ,gardeners in the uk use them not to put toxin`s on their gardens.Your poor yorkshire terrior .People claim to love animals until it comes to moving house etc,then bye bye pet,even after several years of having them in the family.
.I have 2 german sheppards,well behaved and trained,if they are not allowed to move with us in the future to our complex then we would have to sell up and get somewhere else,they count as part of the family.There is another forum called
AngloINFO,it was on here i had my info on pet passports etc.there are several animal rescue centre`s on here.good luck
Foxandsot

Post by Foxandsot »

Found this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Cat-Dog-Fox-U ... dZViewItem

Not sure how successful it would be though as you have a large space to cover, might keep them away from the house though.

Mx
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

Many thanks M, the trouble is, I have a dog too, so I don't want to repell the little terrier nor the new pup. Kind of you to post a remedy.
We tried something like this for our moles ( I am beginning to sound like an exterminator and animal hater but we are not, I feed the birds and look after our garden snakes and we love the fruit rats ). It was the same sort of machine, but you had to bury it near the mole hole and it emitted a signal that was supposed to scare them away. They keep eating our veggies and coming up through the lawns, making holes everwhere.
The moles seemed to like the noise and kept making new burrows nearly on top of the dratted thing :D I am sure they thought it was a strange female in their territory.
If anyone else is plagued by ferals like us, the correct procedure is to contact the Ayuntamiento, explain your position, they will then contact persons in your area who are equipped to deal with the situation. Our vet informed us of the correct procedures. The residents in part of Churriana, a village nearby, are also having the same problems, but in greater numbers.