fed up in Corsica

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Paul Carmel

fed up in Corsica

Post by Paul Carmel »

Can I have a moan? We have been having power cuts for half an hour to an hour in length, every 3 hours since Monday. And it's not just where we live, it's the whole of Corsica! And apparently it may get better by Saturday, or maybe (and most likely) not . . . .
The reason appears to be that the extra cold weather has frozen all the hydroelectric dams, so they are having to import generators from the mainland. So, shops are shut, boulangeries are unable to bake bread, petrol stations can't operate, it's chaos everywhere!
Worse, it's freezing cold, even our poor cat Max has had enough and is sticking his tongue out at the EDF (click on his photo for full tongue effect). Still, we're all huddled together in front of the fire (thankfully without Seymour, he's gone on a quest to find the love of his life, apparently someone called Christine??), and at least the red wine is good and cheap.
Thankfully the battery on our computer is not bad either, so please post something to cheer us all up.

Cheers
PC
paolo

Post by paolo »

You should come and live in England - we never have power cuts here.

Has that helped?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Awww.. I might run off with Max, he's gorgeous! How does he get along with Seymour?

Sorry to hear of your plight!! We had lots of snow here overnight and it was very picturesque for about a couple of hours - all grey slush now though.

Never have power cuts here - ha!! Northumberland is the land of powercuts but I never put that in my marketing material :)

More importantly, are the bars open?? In Belford when the power goes they just light candles and serve bottles instead of draught beer in the pubs.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Seymour says: "What's wrong with a candle? Very romantic." Eat your heart out, Wanda.

Christine
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Snow here in Northern Italy too! Bring on spring!

If it makes you feel better, the electricity company here keeps taking the power down for a day at the time. First we thought there was a problem with our connection (we are in the sticks a bit), then we realised there was some regularity to the problem.

The worst thing is that unlike in the UK, they don't give any notice - no, sorry that's not quite true - we did find a poster stuck to a tree when we were out taking the dog for a walk! We just have to make sure we regularly walk to the tree to find out if there are any more planned outages!
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

That is so funny. If I was Paul the idea of someone having to walk down to the tree to see if the power was going off would certainly cheer me up!

It makes me think of The Singing Bush from the 3 Amigo's - I love that scene. :)
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Thank you all, you must have done something cos the sun is out!
Cheers
PC
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ah, good; otherwise I was going to suggest that perhaps you should go on vacation to a warmer locale. :wink:

I myself am getting out of the cold Northeast US and going to Florida for a couple of weeks. Wheeee!
Brooke
tansy

Post by tansy »

Well here in the balmy cote du manche...snow stopped at Bayeux yesterday- so we were snow free zone!!...slight frost last night - rain today & sun about 9/10 degrees...you poor soft southerners...us hardy northerners are having a quite a good winter!

Your Max is a dead ringer for our Uncle Snoz that sadly died almost 5 years ago...good old fashioned London cat..he's lovely...our old boy was a joy to have around.

Don't panic - EDF have started purchasing power from the Germans...

Normally EDF supplies the UK - shows how cold it has been!

Keep taking the wine!
Christine Kenyon

Happy hols, Brooke!

The wine bottle is at the ready, Tansy. But it's Australian, not French .....
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Christine Kenyon wrote:Happy hols, Brooke!

The wine bottle is at the ready, Tansy. But it's Australian, not French .....

Mine is Spanish (think I'd better say that in a tiny voice being near to Bordeaux!!) :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Christine Kenyon

Mine is Spanish (think I'd better say that in a tiny voice being near to Bordeaux!!)
Salud!!
tansy

Post by tansy »

And here's me even learnt La Marseillaise! Does make the wine taste better - then Edith Piaf after a couple of hours...that's when you know you're enjoying the local products..Calvados here (then you NEVER feel the cold!!).
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

View from our balcony this morning things just got warmer

Have a top trip Brooke!
Cheers
PC
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

So we're into the second week and we have now been told another week of power cuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They are now for min 50 minutes at a time, every couple of hours (not 3 times a day as French news would have everyone believe). Sorry but getting a bit pissed off now. Fire wood running out, so if everyone can send one log as the post seems to be the only thing working around here! Can you believe they are importing generators from Canada, and also Greece of all places!! You'd think France itself, or even Germany or Italy would be able to provide these! Oh well, due for another cut now so rant over . . .
Cheers
PC