Too many emails from one client! Is it a record?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
domino

Too many emails from one client! Is it a record?

Post by domino »

Just for amusement on a rainy day I decided to count how many emails each client sent in the course of making a booking ( including the lead time up to the start of their holiday). Theres a common train of thought that suggests any more than 5 emails received 'flags up' a potentially troublesome client.
Well, during my 'ardous' research, I found most clients complied with the under 5 rule. The exception to the rule is holidaying with us shortly;- 16 emails, three phone calls and two letters !!! Can anyboby out there beat that???
Fil

Re: Too many emails from one client! Is it a record?

Post by Fil »

domino wrote:16 emails, three phone calls and two letters !!! Can anyboby out there beat that???
Really hard to beat.

But is it possible that your site does not provide enough information about the property and conditions which makes people to enquire further ?
brenda

Post by brenda »

Can´t beat your record but today alone I have had 5 emails + 2 phone calls from a ´potential´client.

Last query was how big is the fridge in the bedroom - wanted full measurements - and what is the average temperature out on the pool terrace at 4 a.m. Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter.

Hasn´t booked and I don´t think this is a bad thing!

It is certainly our experience that clients constantly in touch are the most trouble.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

...and what is the average temperature out on the pool terrace at 4 a.m. Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter.
:shock: Do they think you sit outside on the pool terrace till 4am all seasons to be able to give them an answer to that question? :? :lol:

Re. record emails....I think you win so far Domino!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

What are they planning to do out on your terrasse at 4.00 am?

That's what would be worrying me.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Brenda wrote: It is certainly our experience that clients constantly in touch are the most trouble.
Hmmm, yes, it's pretty obvious but not something I'd thought about and certainly, looking back, that has probably been so with us too; the nasty man who complained recently in our guestbook about the pool being cold there in late May/early June) is a case in point. His daughter made the booking, and had been asked to find out exactly how close the nearest neighbours were, eg. I sent her photos. And not once in any of our correspondence did she address me by name. No feedback apart from this after their stay although I'd have thought they could have found something charitable to say. Zilch, even when I sent them a nice covering letter with their damage deposit. Not relevant, but I'm still feeling sore!

Another family asked loads of questions before booking and were slightly higher maintenance than average once they'd arrived, but did return the following year...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had 8 emails and three phone-calls from my enquirer I talked about last week, and no booking. I reckon it took up at least half a day of my holiday in total, and at least another afternoon last week.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oh gosh yes, Helen, I'd forgotten about the ones who do that then don't book - but these are the prospective guests we've had a lucky escape from!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Most of mine that book are only one e-mailers, then a second sometimes a few weeks before to let us know when to expect them. Occasionally we exchange 2 e-mails early on,that's about it ! :wink:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

even when I sent them a nice covering letter with their damage deposit. Not relevant, but I'm still feeling sore!
I do think that must be a record..Domino..
I will have a count up later :wink:

GG I know what you mean :roll:
I mentioned earlier[on another post] about lovely family that we met while we were there a few weeks back.[they rented our other house next door...there son had problems but 'took' to us well i remembered it was his 13th Birthday was on the 31st July[not that hard really as it was the same as my youngest daughters]
so when i sent the deposit chq back [addressed to the Mum..I included a card addressed to him and a little something....a small chq made out to him and a note telling him to have a lovely day..just as a small gesture]
Ive had no acknowledgement of either by email or letter..So I like you was a little disappointed :(
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Most of mine are two or three emails at most. I worry when I don't get any (i.e. they use my online calendar and don't contact me) and I worry when there are too many.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

16 e-mails? Pah! I had 40 over a period from February to July this year from four different members of the same bunch of people that turned out to be absolutely delightful-the Swedes!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

You have beaten my record of 12 emails and two letters but they are from a foreign party which may explain some of them. Perhaps my babel fishes were not performing too well.
Bohinj Badger

Post by Bohinj Badger »

Our current guests sent 23 emails prior to arrival but did book for three weeks. I do not think that they were being troublesome just a bit excited prior to their holiday.

It was quite tiring though answering those emails after work, but they seemed to appreciate being looked after -which is certainly something a similarly priced hotel would not give!

BB
domino

Post by domino »

Wow! It's good to know I'm not alone. I've found that each year there is a common theme which runs thro enquiries. I presume the clients are reading the same magazine/newspaper articles. This year everyone wanted to know "walking distance to the local shops". We live in a rural hamlet and clearly state drive times to nearest villages/towns on our website. Last year it was "do we have sole use of the pool". Well, we live on site and have two gites, no prizes for guessing what the answer was! It was so tempting to be just a little naughty with the replies to that one. Along the lines of " if you'd like to book both gites sole use is available"!
I sound like a grumpy old man! We love having our guests, its a very tiny minority who cause irritation, like the 'late bookers' who did a runner without paying but thats a different story.......