Unsurprisingly ... comments welcomed

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
slartibartfast
Location: Ovacik , Olu Deniz, Hisaronu , Fethiye ,Turkey ..but live in Perth

Post by slartibartfast »

Thanks Garri that makes me feel much better :roll: Did you pick all that up in a couple of days ? :wink:

For some reason the page width had gone bonkers on a few pages and I don't know why. I think another problem is on the Local Info page I have offset side-by-side images. Two 270 wide images plus the stupid menu margin which takes up 1/3 of a page is just too wide for IE (the same problem I see on your Availability page Carole). Firefox copes with it but I guess there are limits. I've only viewed the problem on laptop screens so it may not be an issue for everyone

I guess I either have to bodge it or re-size and re-load everything to do it properly.

Me and MrSite have fallen well and truly out of love ! I don't suppose my ignorance helps any
Garri

Post by Garri »

Did you pick all that up in a couple of days ?
No, I wish!

I'm helped because I'm using a cms/blog tool called Textpattern to organise the content.

Believe it or not but the magazine site hasn't been designed. I just did some wireframes to show where and how the content would look - that was 2 years ago. It used to be monochrome and then earlier this year I decided to colour it in ;-)

At some point in near future I will properly design it from the ground up to accommodate some interaction and other cool stuff ;-)

It's a work in progress, it will always be a work in progress such is its nature.

I'm learning just like you ;-)
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Garri I meant a facility in Mr Site to wrap text etc next to pictures! I need to learn more in depth about designing websites, bur Mr Site was just a quick and easy option to get something up and running. CSS and XHTML etc seems all a tad complicated and long to learn, but I will at some point try to learn! It took me a couple of evenings to put my site together but I haven't done any clever stuff like putting pictures next to text, I just put them in between!

Ian yes I do have a problem with my availability page in IE being a bit wide. When I was on IE 6 it appeared half way down the page, so its slightly better on IE 7 - are you on IE7?

Carole :)
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

No I'm on 6. I use cast-off laptops so don't keep things current. I am thinking about actually buying a laptop but there is too much choice.

For your page either double click on the image and specify a slightly smaller size. I am using 500x411 but can go a bit bigger I think. I also added a link to click to a full-size one which isn't blurry. It's pants but it works until I get something better
Garri

Post by Garri »

I am thinking about actually buying a laptop but there is too much choice.
Is there? It's either black or white, your choice ;-)
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Hmm tried that with my calendar and nothing happened when I double click the picture no options to change size or anything.

Garri - glad to see another fellow Mac user :wink:
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

or right click / properties / (then the layout box)
slartibartfast

Mr Site thoughts

Post by slartibartfast »

I HAVE EDITED THIS POST SIGNIFICANTLY AS SOME OF IT WAS WRONG !

Carole , here are a few more things I learned about working with MrSite which may be of use if you revamp

THE FIRST THINGS TO DO BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES TO PUBLISHED PAGES YOU ARE "HAPPY" WITH IS TO GO INTO "CREATIVE MODE". SELECT THE HTML VIEW, AND COPY THE CONTENTS.

PASTE THESE INTO NOTEPAD OR SMILAR (NOT WORD OR OTHER PACKAGES WHICH WILL APPLY FORMATTING.)

IF YOU MAKE A COD OF YOUR CHANGES SIMPLY PASTE YOUR SAVED CODE BACK IN WHEN YOU ARE IN HTML MODE AND NO DAMAGE DONE

OK that is a bit simplistic but you get the idea

For formatting pictures or text within tables if you right click in the cell you want to format and hover over the "Tags" option. These relate to HTML formatting commands. If you select "TD" it will allow you to define the format for that cell (e.g. image or text top align etc.) TR is to format rows there is also TBODY TABLE & IMG

The most important thing is don't make any mistakes! This may just apply to tables but if you format things correctly first time it's fine. As soon as you mess around with bold, underlines , bullets it gets it's knickers in a twist. You can fix it by correcting the HTML delete it and start again or use the "backup" method at the top of the post.

If you are bulleting anything apply your font and size formatting first and check it is correct before bulleting. If you change it after bulleting, it can be a pain and may need re-done.

If using bold in a table it can get confused and bold things you don't want bolded and you can't turn it off with the button. Edit the HTML (often every line needs edited ...) or delete and start again or "restore" as per above...

You can take a copy of you pages / images with FTP and store on your computer ...... but there is a snag if you plan to use them as a MrSite backup.

The html files you see in your wwwroot directory are not the ones MrSite uses as your "edit" source. What this means is you can take a copy of your pages. If you screw up your published pages with a MrSite edit you can copy them back from your computer and a browser loading the pages will see your restored pages. The snag is if you still want to use MrSite to edit them, it will load in the knackered version you previously published ..... and couldn't (or didn't wan to fix).

Just copy the html using cut and paste as described above if you want to use MrSite as the editing tool

If working on new pages to replace a working site , create them , name them close to what you want (eg HOME_NEW). mark them as Hidden with the admin function and develop them until you are happy. They won't appear on your menu but you can access them if you know the url. You will be able to access them from your browser using the page number (e.g. HOME_NEW is page Hidden page 13 so use www.yoursite.co.uk/page13.htm )

When you are ready to go-live use the Admin function to shuffle into the correct order , hide your original pages and do your renames. Your old ones can be swapped back in if needs be. I thought it might not let me replace the Index page but it does.

MrSite is nearly very good. If they had a decent manual which told you about all the features available and had some guidance on how to use their tools to do something other than basic formatting I would have been much happier. The way the formatting gets confused is pain but you learn to work around it.

The lack of choice of menu sizes and location is a big restriction. They just need a bigger choice of designs (rather than lots of different colours / backgrounds using the same layout) .

It has served a purpose and I have no idea how it compares to any competition so I guess it has been OK , if somewhat frustrating at times

Good luck if you decide to revamp. I'm still working on mine ...

PS. SORRY FOR SHOUTING :lol:
Last edited by slartibartfast on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Wow Ian thanks for all that. Your site is looking FANTASTIC now, can't believe how much it has changed, you have been working hard!!! :D :D

I would like to have more photos throughout my site with text beside them as you have, so I might have a go at putting some into tables and see what happens.

I am showing my ignorance now :oops: but I don't know what FTP is!

I appreciate all your tips, I think Mr Site could do with some more features and easier formatting so you can place things where you want them easier. I have been mailing them to try and sort out the sub heading bar thing on my Blog page as its gone a bit weird but no reply yet :roll:

Carole :wink:
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ian, your site is rocking now and to use Carole's mantra: Mr Site offers a quick and easy way to get up and running - as you have proven here. I still think it's pants compared with a blogging/cms tool ;-)

You've taken out the sleeps blurb from main headline - good!
I've always been told not to start with a sentence with 'A... '
Dunno why but apparently it's not correct. Consider ending the first sentence with a colon, and of course dropping the caps on the A as you start the second sentence.
Set in a stunning and convenient location, this beautifully furnished and well equipped Villa is the perfect base
Perfect base for what exactly? It sort hangs expectantly. Not only that but you need a fullstop and I'm not sure the word villa should be in title case.

Try finishing it off thus:
Set in a stunning and convenient location, this beautifully furnished and well equipped villa is the perfect base to relax and enjoy what Turkey has to offer.
Something along those lines. Whatever you decide to put there I do feel the sentence needs finishing off.

Anyway, you're going great guns dude! ;-)
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Thanks folks your encouragement has really been a spur to keep on refining it.

Garri ,it must be difficult to bite your lip a times when you see glaring blunders. Your tactful guidance has been much appreciated.

I wasn't happy with the "base" ending but it was better than what was there before. I often don't get round to looking at it seriously until late at night and make changes to "improve" things on the fly knowing I have to revisit. Those are the things which then get left as-is ....

I have been working on T&C's and a booking form. Nearly done so then back to content. I write something, think is OK then revisit and think "what the hell was I thinking of!" . I'll take another look and no doubt just copy your suggestion word for word :wink:

I take your point about villa case. I just think it looks better (just like I prefer "word !" rather than "word!"). I'm not sure if I am a philistine , a rebel or both :lol:

As I said Garri I am going to have a look at better ways of doing it but at least it gives me some time now to play with the technology.

Carole, FTP is File Transfer Program. I know nothing about Macs. You may already have one on your machine. MrSite documentation tells you how to configure your FTP program to connect to MrSite. You can then see which files you have on MrSite and copy files back and forwards between your computer and the MrSite server (you can delete / rename etc MrSite file as well from your machine in "blocks". It is painful to do this with MrSites interface). It gives you an easy way to copy your MrSite files to your own machine as a backup. I have been using Core FTP (freeware)

http://www.coreftp.com/download.html

Clearly I am no expert but if I can help email me and and I'm more than happy to help out with problems if I can. If it's easier by phone I'll give you my number by email (and that isn't a chat-up line!)

I also have to review my Holiday lettings text in view of my recent "lessons". FYI I added a link to my website from Holiday Lettings. You have to add a reciprocal link which I did (unobtrusively). Your link can only appear at the bottom of their page in the "contacts". I updated the first line of the property details to say where the link was and that I could not show it in he text. I have had 6 breakouts to my website since this morning. It is a bit of a gamble as my suggestion to go hunt for the link may be intriguing or a complete turn-off but I doubt anyone would find it on the page unless they were actually going to book anyway
Garri

Post by Garri »

I know nothing about Macs.
Not much to know except they're great computers with a beautiful operating system (UNIX based) and the web is becoming the new platform these days anyway ;-)

Been thinking about the following copy:

Set in a stunning and convenient location, this beautifully furnished and well equipped villa is the perfect base to relax and enjoy what Turkey has to offer.

Even better would be: the perfect base to relax and enjoy your holiday in Turkey.

Why? Because it will be better for SEO, key phrase being: Holiday in Turkey.

Sorry but I wasn't thinking before ;-)
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

What I guy Garri :D . I haven't even got round to looking at that side of things yet but I'll change it.

I guess there is lots of wisdom on the forum regarding how to "promote" your site. If there is anything in particular worth me reading, I'm all eyes.

Thanks

Ian
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Carole, if you are still tuned in , my MrSite "backup" advice wasn't the whole story.

Sorry if it's a grandmother and eggs situation but please re-visit my post if you were foolish enough to pay any attention to it the first time round :roll:
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Hi Ian

Sorry not been on much last couple of days. Thanks for your help, I am sure there is stuff there that will help me when I revamp, good idea about pasting the current HTML code out first!!

I might have a play at adding a box for some photos on one page and see how I do, but I should probably wait until I go back to my place in November after it has been refurbished and get some new photos.

Out of interest, do you (or Garri) have any ideas for my site!? I know some people don't like the black and white, but I quite like it!

Carole :)