Unsurprisingly ... comments welcomed

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ian, do you clear your browser's cache each time you commit some changes? If not, try it and see if that works.
slartibartfast
Location: Ovacik , Olu Deniz, Hisaronu , Fethiye ,Turkey ..but live in Perth

Post by slartibartfast »

Sorry Garri I didn't mean this post to turn into a tutorial session :cry:

Using IE6 I either reloaded or closed the browser and re-started. I didn't delete files (via options). On Firefox 2.0.0.6 I just did a reload but I see there is a clear cache option I'll try that if it happens again. On Firefox you can "right click / view page info / links" and see the links on the page. The correct links were displayed but the wrong page was served.

I accept stuff like this is often operator error but I was stumped. No worries, but thanks for the tip.

I just realised the easy way to work on a revised version of the website without blowing away an acceptable version is just to copy and rename existing pages , edit with MrSite and if you aren't happy or aren't finished just copy your originals back.

A bit of a pain using the MrSite interface but a doddle using a FTP program.

I'm a bit happier now after my blinding revelation of the stunningly obvious :roll:
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Ian having had another quick look, I would suggest you maybe change the subheadings throughout the site to say something different on each page. Also on Safari, which I am using, the headings at the top on the picture heading are very close together and could do with a bit more space between them.

Sorry about your links trouble, but sounds like you are getting it sorted out! I know I had a bit of trouble at the beginning with a few things and Mr Site could do with some upgrading to include a few more useful tools.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Garri , Rosbif I have updated the index page to try and incorporate your suggestions. I don't think I will ever master short and snappy wording :wink:

I have ditched the text in the banner
Set the menu so it is in a fixed screen position (it doesn't scroll with the page)
used header and bullets and attempted a different style

I'm not sure if like the look of it so before I go any further any comments would be appreciated

Thanks for the time you have so kindly given so far.

Regards

Ian
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ian, what a fabulous improvement! The sub-headings work a treat visually, though the copy could be improved.

You don't need the menu at the foot now because the menu on left stays where it is as I scroll down - it works nicely in FF on Mac OSX, so I assume (dare I) that it will work on IE ;-)

Still some way to go, especially with the copy, but vast improvement generally ;-)

Great job!
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Thanks Garri.

I have only been working on the index page for the moment. I have now changed the colour scheme , tweaked the words, "copy" sounds a bit too grand for my clumpy attempts) and removed my experimental bottom menu. I added another image (I would prefer a cleaner one but want to use my own stuff)

I've had another frustrating time with the lack of choice of MrSite designs I really want to narrow the menu bar and differentiate the background and I can't change the rollover colour without retaining a font/colour I don't want for the un-moused text.

Especially in tables, formatting is random and difficult to remove without playing with the html / word markup and playing with table design is a pain

Having said that I am a bit happier with the index page now.

It's a bit of a cheek but can you suggest the main areas for improvement in the "copy" ? (spelling / grammar / sentence structure / focus / reduction etc. . ... possibly all of those :roll: )

Many thanks

Ian www.villadalriada.co.uk
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

The combination of our luxury villa furnished to the highest standard and the stunning location is will guarantee an exceptional holiday .

Is needs removed
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ian, I'm pretty pushed here, struggling with my own 'copy' issues ;-)

The new template looks much cleaner, it's great seeing this site transformed before our very eyes ;-)

From the top:
your website header wrote:Luxury Villa with pool for rent. 3 en-suite bedrooms sleeps 6/8. Ovacik (Olu Deniz / Hisaronu) , Turkey
could be changed to:

Luxury Villa with pool for rent in Ovacik, Olu Deniz / Hisaronu, Turkey. Sleeps 6/8 in 3 en-suite bedrooms.

or

Luxury Villa with pool for rent. Sleeps 6/8 in 3 en-suite bedrooms. Ovacik (Olu Deniz / Hisaronu), Turkey.

Personally I don't like brackets. Is Olu Deniz/Hisarou the region?
Have an unforgettable holiday in a fabulous private villa
Try to line that up with the bold text below, looks odd over a bit.

The blurb on left of main photo would work better if the sleeps 6/8 etc was presented in bullet form.

e.g.

* Sleeps 6/8
* 3 en-suite bedrooms
* large private swimming pool
* Spacious lounge
* Air conditioning throughout
* Furnished to a high standard
* Great location with stunning views

For the bullet points, try if you can, for something stylish. Some nice ones here:

http://www.stylegala.com/features/bulletmadness/
Last edited by Garri on Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Ian its looking much better. The menu only seems to stay fixed in place on the home page, so you may want to make it the same on all pages (how did you do that by the way?!) :roll: Ooops just read back and you said you were just working on the index page - sorry!

I don't think the rollover colour is so bad now you have changed it to white, you can still see the light grey unless you have very bad eyesight!

Also I would still change some of the sub headings you have in the menu bars under the pictures, you say the same thing on all pages and it might be nice to make some different statements, but that's just my opinion!

I will try and look at the text on and off throughout the day and see if I can spot any errors or areas you can improve on.

Carole :)
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Personally and this is just my opinion, I would change the heading in the bar under the pictures on the first page to:

Have an unforgettable holiday in a fabulous private villa

Then go on to start your text with:

Situated in Ovacik close to?? Olu Deniz/Hisaronu, Turkey, Dalriada is a fabulous new luxury three bedroom villa, with pool which is available to rent for an unforgettable holiday.

Then I agree with Garri a bulleted list would look nice and is easier on the eye to scan over.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Thanks folks. The instant replies are great but way above my expectations.

HelenB - Quite right - fixed

Garri - I'm not pressuring you but thanks for the tips. Yes Olu Deniz / Hisaronu iare the better known "resorts" for area virgins but Ovacik may be more sought after by people who have been before. The problem of trying to target everyone (or is that a contradiction :-) ) I'll review

Rosbif - I am mainly working on the presentation and tone at the mo on the index page. When I'm happy I'll move through the rest to make it consistent with the first page (tone and appearance). Fair point about the headers. I was going for a consistent look but equally it's wasted selling space

For the fixed header switch to HTML on the page you want to "fix" then at the top of the HTML paste;

<style>body div#navbar {position:fixed;top:210px;}</style>

alter the number to determine where on the screen it is fixed (I had to remove the counter widget as it got in the way). Do this to all pages you want to fix.

NB. Code published on http://mrsitemembers.proboards79.com/index.cgi

Many thanks

Ian
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Then ... I would try and sort out the two photos so they are to the left or centred as they are a bit all over the place at the moment. Maybe have one photo in the first position then another further down.

I think the rest of the text below this could be edited a bit, I don't think it is all necessary and you have the On Your Doorstep Page which talks about the area.

Also you have too many exclamation marks throughout the text generally not just on the first page, I would get rid of some of them and when you do put one you don't need a space before it or a full stop after it, it should be like this!
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Oh we are getting picky now aren't we! :lol:

I'll take that as a good sign ;-).

Thanks for all the comments. I slung the index page together quickly to see how it looked. The table formatting and positioning images within a table .. and even text within a table is a nightmare. I've used absolute-position for the images but not in this version. Is there a better way to get the layout you want in MrSite (rather than what it gives you) ?

The MrSite documentation is poo for anything other than the basics

Ian
Rosbif

Post by Rosbif »

Sorry if I am being too picky!! :)

I haven't positioned pictures in a table, I just put them in the text and put enough spaces before and after it so the text doesn't collide with the picture.

It is a bit hard to get the pictures where you want them to be unfortunately you just have to fiddle a bit!
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Folks absolutely no arm-twisting or urgency intended!

I have shamelessly copied all of the suggestions (ar tried to) and have done another revamp. I think it's better but am still working on contact / bookings / prices / T&C's and need a general tidy up to remove spurious blank lines and alignment (html editing required as the MrSite formatting has a mind of it's own)

Gallery titles and content need a look also .. but I think generally it's better. www.villadalriada.co.uk

Villa info and "around and about" are long. The former I may cut-back but with both of these I am assuming any visitors will only go there if they are really interested.

Any comments welcome re the changes / general look and feel. i don't expect you to trawl the content with a magnifying glass as the "copy" is still work in progress .. although that does need to be done!