Guests with no directions

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Wish our current set of guests had lost their directions and our phone number, bloody guests from hell , lost it this morning and told them if they did not like it to leave, even said I would only charge for the nights stayed. First time in 5 years and first time we have had complants
Nessie
enid

Post by enid »

I'm really sorry to hear that Nessie.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Nessie wrote:Wish our current set of guests had lost their directions and our phone number, bloody guests from hell , lost it this morning and told them if they did not like it to leave, even said I would only charge for the nights stayed. First time in 5 years and first time we have had complants
Crikey, Ness, what on earth did they do / say/ not do etc? What's the story, so we can be pre-warned?

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

its all part and parcel of our business but i am really on the edge one more word from Madam and i will tell them to leave but i really need to check up on my contract as i am sure they will try to report us, not that they will have a leg to stand on as all i have had this year from guests are glowing reports and feed back to i am really not bothered if she does but it still annoys if you know what i mean. The funny thing is i did not what this booking in the first place right from the word go i could smell trouble
Nessie
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

Oh Ness, sorry to hear this. It's funny how we can foresee guests like this through e:mails, isn't it. I know the guests my mum was concerned about were the ones that ended up letting themselves back into the house after check out, plus they complained about Edinburgh not having shutters on the windows and no child gates for the stairs.

When do they leave?!
Ju

Post by Ju »

They found us ok, well actually they found the village then phoned.

We had a nightmare changeover - the worse condition I have ever seen a property - including last nights washing up. Everything I have ever said on the subject of guests cleaning I take back.

By the time the guests arrived (and they weren't early as they had been dring round a bit!!) we had finished one house (they had rented two) and were just starting the beds on number two.

Luckily the new guests were very nice, very understanding and just happy to be there.

The guests that just left won't be so happy if they try to book again!! (why to people take the p**s like that? Are they just trying to get the most from their money or what?)

A very tired Ju, who has had the well deserved vino and is now goind to hit the sack - night all.
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

Oh gees, aren't you glad todays over! Last nights washing up? That's awful! Seems like a lot of us have had a rather stressful August. :shock:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

What a nightmare Ju! Are you going to take the extra cleaning costs out if their security deposit?
After one bad experience, I changed the departure notes to say that I expect the house to be left in the clean and tidy state they found when they arrived, or the extra cleaning costs would be taken out of their security deposit. I don't expect them to do any cleaning and no-one ever does, but I've never had any problems since - everything is always put back where it was and there is never any washing up left, occasionally they leave a dishwasher to empty, that's all.
I hope this weeks guests are better!
We had some guests yesterday who got very lost by taking the wrong Autoroute from Caen, when they phoned they were about 70kms away in a different departement. That is a record for getting lost on my directions.
Of course that was my fault, after all, A28 and A84 are easy to confuse. These people have never been to France before and hadn't either bothered to buy a map (they didn't have satnav). I'm already looking forward to next Saturday when they go, but I have been spoilt with really nice guests so far, so it was to be expected.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi JU

Im glad they turned up safe and sound :wink: ..What a shame that the previous guests left you with all that extra work to do[Paula who does mine did find dirty stuff put away in the cupboard once..good job shes thorough.. not very nice for the next guests[makes you wonder how they live at home Eh !:roll:]
Nessie
Yours sounds like a nightmare :x ...It must be really difficult trying to deal with these sorts of people..I am a count to ten sorta person but once Ive gone thats it...Which probably wouldnt help in this situation :roll: ...I hope it gets better now maybe youve let he know how you feel and youve given her the option of going..she will realise how foolish shes being...
Good Luck anyway Take carexx
enid

Post by enid »

I guess that not being on site is a good thing when you have guests like yours Nessie.

Ju - I too hope that you are keeping the extra cleaning money back from your security deposit.

We had a double change yesterday too and I was doing my Cinderella act (i.e. left alone while hubby goes to the ball!!) Luckily we didn't have your guests Ju as everything was left tidy. I offer to prepare an evening meal on the day of arrival and in 4 years no-one has asked for it - but you've got it as I was on my own one family ordered it. The other family were returners though who had brought me some choc eclairs and other goodies so I treated myself to a large glass and a few (Ok a lot of) sweets.

Are your guests staying another week Nessie? Perhaps you should take a holiday if they are :)

Have a relaxing Sunday all of you - I've got my old man back this afternoon :D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

La Vache wrote: After one bad experience, I changed the departure notes to say that I expect the house to be left in the clean and tidy state they found when they arrived, or the extra cleaning costs would be taken out of their security deposit. I don't expect them to do any cleaning and no-one ever does, but I've never had any problems since
Lucky you LV! I wonder if the fact that you're also on site and they meet you makes any difference (and you perhaps convey an air of authority!), as the above is also stated in our Ts and Cs; a group has just left, and the caretakers have indicated the house was 'in a bit of a mess'. I've also had an email from this same group talking about returning next year, so I'll be asking the caretakers for more detail on the mess before I respond to these guests and make encouraging noises!

Ju, glad the guests found you in the end. It's just a pity it wasn't the guests before who hadn't been able to find the property as I expect it would have been better if they were still driving round in ever decreasing circles!

Nessie, I'm very disappointed for you; having been to your home and met you, I can't imagine for a minute what the complaints would have been about; do please tell us, and also of the outcome. I know you'll be handling it well and the rest of us might learn something.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
The Moles Mother

Post by The Moles Mother »

Nessie wrote:its all part and parcel of our business but i am really on the edge one more word from Madam and i will tell them to leave but i really need to check up on my contract as i am sure they will try to report us, not that they will have a leg to stand on as all i have had this year from guests are glowing reports and feed back to i am really not bothered if she does but it still annoys if you know what i mean. The funny thing is i did not what this booking in the first place right from the word go i could smell trouble
Oh, Nessie - much sympathy. I wouldn't worry too much about any complaints. You have glowing feedback from previous guests to show any organisation she tries to complain to and I bet they, too, can spot a serial complainer when they see one.

These sort of guests are the real downside to this business. I hate them.

MM
A vegetarian oasis in the heart of Boeuf Bourguignonne country
http://www.lesbattees.com/
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

The Moles Mother wrote:
Oh, Nessie - much sympathy. I wouldn't worry too much about any complaints. You have glowing feedback from previous guests to show any organisation she tries to complain to and I bet they, too, can spot a serial complainer when they see one.

These sort of guests are the real downside to this business. I hate them.
Yes, so do I MM - we've all had 'bad' guests at one time or another, you can never please all of the people all of the time! You just have to remember that. Remember too, the little silver lining is that you will have a good anecdote to tell after they've left, bad guest behaviour generally makes for a more interesting anecdote than good behaviour does!
The Moles Mother

Post by The Moles Mother »

La Vache wrote:Yes, so do I MM - we've all had 'bad' guests at one time or another, you can never please all of the people all of the time! You just have to remember that. Remember too, the little silver lining is that you will have a good anecdote to tell after they've left, bad guest behaviour generally makes for a more interesting anecdote than good behaviour does!
You do have a point there! :)

I try and remind myself that "you can't please all of the people ..." but I think I am probably not tough enough for this business. Unpleasant guests really get to me. One lot managed to reduce me to tears and that made me very angry with myself. The emotional fallout can last quite a long time, too.

MM
A vegetarian oasis in the heart of Boeuf Bourguignonne country
http://www.lesbattees.com/
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

oh dear...its August again isn't it!!! And I do sympathise with everyone (as I'm also looking after a friends villa in august...I get the joy of 2 changeovers every saturday! :shock: )

MM - I think the trouble with our line of business is it is difficult to remain impersonal as the success of our business is based on being personal. When we put a lot of effort into making sure our guests have perfection (or as near to as we can get) it is hard to accept someone finding fault & generally they are illogical or picky complaints that onlyserve to frustrate us that they can't appreciate the effort we have all obviously put in.

All service industries come across these types of complainer...some people will complain about anything just to get a reaction. If the complaint is valid fair enough, if it becomes part of a diatribe of unreasonable snipes then I'm with Nessie. There is nothing more powerful than saying 'you're obviously unhappy with your choice of accommodation therefore let me offer you your money back & you can go elsewhere'.

I've worked in enough service industries to know these types exist (and you just wouldn't believe the worst complainant I had to deal with :shock: Even I was shocked :shock: ) & swore blind if I ever had someone like that rent my place I would give them their money back & ask them to leave.
Thankfully I've not come across anyone yet who's complained about anything...but if I did & was on-site I can imagine the stress would be unbearable.

Sympathietic Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!