"Hotel Mentality"

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Mouse wrote: Mousie (who one time stayed in 23 hotels in 24 days :shock: :shock: ...bet that's got you all thinking :wink: )
x
With whom, we have to ask? Judging from the "smellies" response, it might have been our own dear Rozzie!

mols
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mouse wrote: and my guests are reaping the benefits of lovely lotions & potions
Re-labelled with the "Our Ibiza Villa" logo I expect! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I know, I know.. 3 posts in a row, but what the hey. What I also forgot to say was this hotel mentality.. well I received an e:mail just recently from guests arriving soon asking whether there was maid service and people to clean the pool! Earlier this year I had someone requesting that the fires be lit and breakfast be made in the morning. Guffaw.
enid

Post by enid »

Fiona - I'm glad to read that next year you are going to get tough!!! I have had to over the last 4 years. I think that like you I would have tried to meet their requests but perhaps make a charge for this extra work. So say 'I can arrange for new pillows to be delivered but there will be a small charge for this service' - things provided as extras seem to focus the mind rather than everything being given for nothing.

Last week guests asked me for extra toilet rolls - I provide one per person per week - oh have you used them all already? - yes but we saw you have lots in the barn (what were they were doing looking in the barn?) ah but that's a year's supply I said - I'll let you have 4 more but I'd be grateful if you could replace them when you go shopping. The toilet rolls are an extra service I provide not an entitlement and I do provide tissues as well.

It gets easier as time goes on :)
Fil

Re: "Hotel Mentality"

Post by Fil »

FionaV wrote:I'm becoming increasingly irritated by guests who stay in our very reasonably priced cottage, (www.frenchruralretreat.com) and then behave as though they've booked into a hotel.
I am sorry for what happened. :(
Being among those at LMH that believe hotels and self catering are increasingly competing for the same guests. I am not at all surprised.

Probably more and more people are choosing one or the other only on a cost basis. I personnaly believe self-catering can be sold on a different basis, but does the majority ? Welcome to the "low cost times".

It is a shame because most will feel that they are providing "pearls to pigs" (with no offense to guests or the pearls).
FionaV

Post by FionaV »

The blasted woman has been back in the UK for two days and she's STILL bothering me.

She got me to organise a Drs appointment and female medical translater for her while she was on holiday and now she would like me to get a copy of the receipt from the translater and post it to her in the UK.

NEVER AGAIN!
Fiona
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Although you get the odd irritating guest, I'm sure they are in the minority. For me, doing extra things for guests part of the job as I live nearby. When it really starts to annoy me, I know it'll be time to move on.
I would have charged extra for the pillows though!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

The blasted woman has been back in the UK for two days and she's STILL bothering me.
Oh Fiona I do sympathise but I do think you will find that these people are in the minority[hopefully] as Susan says :wink: :)
FionaV

Post by FionaV »

You know, we've been fully booked for 6 months and in that time only 3 families have behaved like this.

I'm sorry to say that it tends to be the "educated middle class" who give us this sort of problem.

They also tend to leave the cottage as though they've just checked out of a hotel, even leaving toffee papers on the floor.
Fiona
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Wow! Just love that rose trimmed number! Pity it's not my colour...
FionaV

Post by FionaV »

The three families were all end of Jully, beginning of August which is why I'm feeling grumpy about it all.

I suppose, spread throughout the year, I just take it in my stride
Fiona
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It's really sweet Fiona, and immaculate. How dare these people?! You know, my pride wouldn't allow me to leave a place in a mess - what does it tell the owner about you?

Grrrr!!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
FionaV

Post by FionaV »

Thanks GG.
Fiona
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

This thread has got me mulling BIG time :roll:

What makes people book self catering as opposed to hotels? we don't often "do" holidays, so are somewhat atypical, but I would never consider going to a hotel for a holiday, but would for a short city break. Having said that, when we have booked self catering holidays, the problem for me has always been trying to find the quality of accomodation that I want, but maybe the things that are important to me aren't important to other people!

Beds always seem to be the main thing that let me down (not literally!). When we stayed at a James Villas place on Gozo last year, I was dismayed to find bobbly poly cotton sheets, one pillow per person, and a bed that was quite frankly, an instrument of torture. The showers could only be described as pathetic.

I want a BIG squishy comfy bed with cotton bedding, so I've spent a lot of money on both; somewhere comfy to sit, which again doesn't seem to figure high up the list; I want wifi and a dishwasher; oh and a pool obviously.

So I was wondering, what do YOU look for when you're picking somewhere to go on holiday, and how does one target the marketing effectively?
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

TP I think that would make an interesting thread....I for one share your frustration at trying to find private accommodation that suits my standards.

Fiona - how unbelievably rude this guest is too keep bothering you. But I agree with your comment about it usually being the 'educated middle classes'.
Sounds like she needs a PA - I would certainly tell her you will have to charge for your time if she wants you to do this (& don't sell yourself too cheap!)

Enid - one toilet roll per person per week! :o Good grief....perhaps I'll have to re-visit my generosity... I leave minimum 4 per couple plus I refresh mid week :?

Mouse (who might start a 'how many toilet rolls' thread)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!