"Hotel Mentality"

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

ok, I'll start a new thread :)
enid

Post by enid »

Yes because this is an extra I offer to get you going - my cottages are only £500 per weak peak season and for that I think I include a lot but if I add too much I won't be making a profit - I already offer cheap table d'hôte as has been commented on here. It depends where you are pitching your property.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

tree-peony wrote:ok, I'll start a new thread :)
If you do, TP will take on a whole new meaning!
enid wrote: Yes because this is an extra I offer to get you going
Would you care to rephrase that Enid? :lol:

Seriously, as Enid says, much depends on what else you throw in as freebies, and I think we're also very generous in that regard, so this year I did cut down on the number of loo rolls we leave. For one thing it's a pain in the neck storing sufficient volume of the things and we have no outbuildings. Let's see - 4 couples, 16, times number of changeovers this year, 14, gives one and one are two, two and two are four, three and three...er... take away the number you first thought of... gets out calculator 224!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
enid

Post by enid »

What's important is that our guests are happy. The repeat bookings we get suggest we are doing OK - here's another happy customer:

I telling everyone what a lovely time we had. This is the first time we have found anywhere we like so much we want to return. We’ve also never booked anything so long in advance it’s actually rather nice knowing it’s there for next year!
brenda

Post by brenda »

We now apparently offer a free chauffeur/taxi service!

Had guests due 6 o¨clockish last night. Sent them driving directions several weeks ago and website/ads all stress carhire essential.

9.30 came and still no guests.

10 p.m. phone rings - oh we decided to come by bus will you come and pick us up from village 5km away!

OK its not far -BUT hubby has to be in bed very early and I don´t drive.

Needless to say we went for them but not happy!

Oh - regarding toilet rolls - we seem to renew at least one roll in each room daily. Leave one on holder by loo and 4 behind bathroom doors and there is always at least one cardboard tube waiting to be replaced.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mel leaves a new one on the loo roll holder, and one under the basin. The rest is up to them.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Oh, I'm way too generous. I've a big cupboard full of toilet rolls and tissues for guests to top up with. I really couldn't be chowed to buy bog rolls on holiday! :lol:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sue, if I had the space to store more, I would.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I'm up there every week or so, I bought a great load at Costco. If you can catch a special offer you do well. Last time I got free kitchen roll with the loo rolls.

Sorry, quickly turning into a toilet roll thread! Oh, I fold the end of the toilet roll into a point like hotels, ha ha!! Pretentious, moi?
enid

Post by enid »

I really couldn't be chowed to buy bog rolls on holiday!
It's all just a matter of opinion - I don't mind adding it to the shopping list but I would mind there being none at all. I do provide boxes of tissues in all rooms so no-one needs to use toilet paper for make up for example.I don't mind there not being lots of things that I have at home - I'm not going to live the same busy life as I do at home.

I agree that comfortable beds and sofas are a must and ample seating at the dining table otherwise I'm more concerned with the ambiance of a rental property - especially if it's a bit quirky :)
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Sorry, quickly turning into a toilet roll thread! Oh, I fold the end of the toilet roll into a point like hotels, ha ha!! Pretentious, moi?
Im not surprised Sue :D ...that little extra touch Eh!! :)
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I sometimes wonder if guests expect too much from a self catering holiday too....

Our manager makes sure our house is clean and tidy but every now and then I get someone who says that for example, the patio furniture was dusty or whatever. Well so what!!! It's not a bloody hotel its a self catering apartment. We don't have maids dusting the corners and bits on a daily basis. IF YOU WANT THAT PAY FOR A BLOODY HOTEL!!!!! NOT A SELF CATERING APARTMENT AT HALF THE PRICE.

.... rant over....
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Nightie :) ...
I know what you mean about the garden/patio furniture..especially in Spain. It can become dusty in a very short time[especially if we have a quick downpour]
When we first started staying I also thought well I thought they would have dusted that..but of course now I realise as Im there when it happens. :roll: ...Its really a never ending job...
fibi

Post by fibi »

IF YOU WANT THAT PAY FOR A BLOODY HOTEL!!!!! NOT A SELF CATERING APARTMENT AT HALF THE PRICE.
Nightowl it isn't half the price, it really isn't. Your place for 6 is $1250 for the week - and very nice it is too! However for the same price - or less I can book a 4* all inclusive holiday. Ok it may have to be in another costa but its true.

I've said this before in a previous thread but its worth mentioning again. This year for the first time I've stopped booking self catering and gone for the all inclusive option. Two examples - Lanzarote Feb, one week in a villa £700, one week in a 4* hotel all inclusive for all 6 of us £614. Rhodes April one week in a villa £650, one week 4* all inclusive for all of us £680. And neither of these are in hotel room all are apartments and we have 2 apartments each time not just one! So no more supermarket trips/cooking/washing dishes/bad restuarants etc etc
Of course its different in the UK you would not get this kind of hotel deal.
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

you're right Fibi, there really isn't much in the way of price difference now (if any at all) and it was this issue that I was trying to adress earlier.

Personally, I don't want to stay in hotels, cos they annoy me! BUT how do others make that value judgement, and how do we target our marketing at the right sort of people?

I don't think we can replicate what hotels do, and I'm not sure we should even try, so somehow we have to extoll the benefits of what we have to offer :?