Bookings - what am I doing wrong?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

They need to be SECAM for France, UK is PAL. A lot of sets will do both, but not all apparently. YOu will get French TV on a PAL set, but it will be in black and white.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Moliere wrote:Straws in the wind though, GG, we have lost bookings because we didn't have ADSL at least (and pref WiFi) so we're putting it in next year.
How do you know, Mols? They've told you, on confirmation that you didn't have the technology? Really and truly, there's no way we could have increased the number of bookings this year except for March/April, which we'd be pushing to fill whatever we offered. I'm only saying this to support my claim that for now, at least in our market, it hasn't made a jot of difference. And I don't think that if we had wi-fi and other stuff and attempted to push the prices up to reflect the fact, that we'd get the interest, indeed we might even lose bookings as people weren't prepared to pay the extra.

Our UK TVs? Nope, but I'll ask OH why not. :) Oh, I see Helen has just posted to explain - thanks H!
La Vache wrote: GG, it isn't just that, if you aren't on site to maintain the bikes, who is going to do it? Punctures happen and it is yet another thing that your caretakers would have to look after.
Agree LV - it would be unworkable from a practical viewpoint - though these are one facility I'd love to be able to offer.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hi GG - we have been told quite clearly that while people would love to take our place, they need internet access.
Now you and I may think that's sad, but if that's where the market is, that's where I'm going . . . (but it won't be for free - it'll cost me EUR 400 a year, but that will be reflected in the rentals, offering free internet access, phone calls etc - and so it will, along with a few other things, we aim to give value for money.)

And whilst I totally agree with Helen about PAL / SECAM - there aren't many tellies built in the last few years which aren't dual-standard, whether they say so or not! It's just not economic to build them to a single standard when you have 2 markets.

Anyway whilst I like French tv I have to admit it is an acquired taste - but terribly good for your vocab, darling!

Mols :)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Well Mols, your house looks super and with so many options in respect of the coast etc, I'm amazed and saddened by this sort of feedback.

Our UK telly is a few years old now, I have to admit, so that explains matters then.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well you would never guess that either of your places were furnishes "on the quick" as they both look gorgeous Well Done!
Thanks for that Feebs :D ....

Speaking personally I have had a lot of nice comments about how the houses are furnished and finished...
I might have given the wrong impression, when we decided we were having the houses[they were still being built] we went out for a week, months before and spent a lot of time going round choosing stuff..bear in mind it was 2 x 3 bedroomed houses so quite a lot of stuff..[my hubby was really impressed at how many furniture shops etc I could fit it in a week :roll: ] We also got all our bedroom curtains and bedspreads measured for and made..the white goods came from the builder..
So it was all in place[allegedly] to be delivered that weekend but as always in Spain things dont work to plan and the lady who I thought came to hang the curtains actually started measuring as she hadnt started making em yet :roll: ..the sofas hadnt arrived at the shop etc.etc..
I actually made all the rooms the same colours throughout the house and in both houses so it does all blend in well same curtains. covers. sofas everything..which is handy when switching stuff about[and did make it easier when ordering I just got what I wanted for 1 house and doubled i]t....
Anyway it did get done :o eventually.. and all that was left was a mad dash to the airport to catch our flight... :roll: :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Moliere wrote:Hi GG - we have been told quite clearly that while people would love to take our place, they need internet access.
Even as little as a year ago, we were discussing wifi and many of us thought it was a nice to have, but not a deal breaker, especially for us rural gite owners.
In that year I think things have changed a lot, and it is a must have, like it or not. We've also had some kids staying this week who are using it for their PSPs or something like that, I must find out what exactly.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Television not mentioned in any enquiry we have had but Internet/WiFi access is a common request.

Think at least 75% of this seasons guests have asked to use our Computer at some point in their stay.
enid

Post by enid »

Think at least 75% of this seasons guests have asked to use our Computer at some point in their stay.
Yes same here - mostly to check bookings or to book an overnight stay on the way home but some have had business reasons. I am on the process of setting up separate internet access for the gites but it's linked to the renovation work up in the loft so don't know when it will be finished.

I totally agree that we have to keep up with the times and as Susan says even in rural France we can provide modern technology - but I also agree with GG that it is an extra not our main offering and I will give up on this rental business before I'll put TVs in children's bedrooms!!

Saying that I have the kit ready for my daughter to set up so that I can listen to radio 4 around the house - that will make this a paradise then

:)
fibi

Post by fibi »

La Vache,

kids use PSPs to go on line - your wifi means they can access the net - they are actually clever pieces of technology!

I don't think Tvs in bedrooms will ever be necessary - our kids don't have them in their bedrooms at home and never will- they are the only children in the class not to have Tvs in their bedrooms how sad is that! (oh I mean for the other kids not them!! :D ).

One set of guests today are from Hull- they were flooded recently - living in a 12ft caravan in their garden just now. Anyway they got up this morning to find the gardebn outside their cottage FLOODED! Can't use the trampoline or swings/slide/little house etc as its under 2 foot of water. The cottage is on a hill so should be OK. This bl**dy weather, central heating has been on all week! :twisted:
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Oh, we haven't even got a live phone line in the cottage! The nearest internet access is over the road at the community centre but that only opens on week day mornings. I had thought of putting a pay phone in but everyone seems to manage without it. Most folk have mobiles these days and most of my guests are UK based.

Only 1 set of guests ever asked about net access. It does drive me crazy but I have a handheld pc and use my mobile phone as a modem - sorted!

I've just asked Dave how our rentals were and for the last financial year it was 40 weeks so I guess t'internet access isn't high on our guests lists. We have a high percentage of returners too.

As Enid said on another thread, the bookings will come in time and with experience.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've got a mini-browser (Opera) on my mobiles, and it's fine for just checking my Gmail account, so it does (it was also much cheaper this summer now the international roaming charges have been reduced). If I need to deal with anything, the local bar, and hotel have free wifi as long as you buy a drink or two.
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I'm considering putting TV's in all 4 bedrooms in Edinburgh (did I see Enid roll her eyes :roll: ;) . A lot of enquires are from all adults guests so I dont label any of the bedrooms as childrens. We currently have a group of adults for a 3 week booking, making the single bedrooms just as attractive or special to guests is quite important and something we are working on (special pieces of furniture ordered etc).

I was also wondering whether people that do not ask if there is a TV just assume there is one? I've found myself in the past rather relieved that there is TV after not asking the property owners.

P.S. My children dont have TV's/PC's in their bedrooms either and not through lack of their asking!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

However, I am seriously considering installing the telephone and a wifi package, it's just what to get, and getting round to doing it (not to mention remembering a utility bill when I go to France as proof of address :roll: )
enid

Post by enid »

I'm considering putting TV's in all 4 bedrooms in Edinburgh (did I see Enid roll her eyes Rolling Eyes
You sure did!!!! But you know your market so if that's what it takes go for it. I would expect a TV in a hotel bedroom but not in a self catering cottage which had a TV in the sitting room. Horses for course again :)
Martha

Post by Martha »

We have found out little extra portable TV with DVD very helpful, so that kids can watch their film in another room, so adults can talk in peace and quiet.

Wifi is so, so useful - not so much for any work reasons - mostly for weather forecasts to help plan what we'll do over the next few days. And to see if there are any interesting events going on the area.

Snowboard Monopoly was the really big hit with my nephews and nieces this New Year though: :D
Last edited by Martha on Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix