Bookings - what am I doing wrong?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
simonandlozzie

Bookings - what am I doing wrong?

Post by simonandlozzie »

Hi I've been reading this forum with great interest and would like to comment what a brilliant site. I have a villa which I have just decided to lease out for holiday lets. Anyway being new to this I've added it to a couple of websites, but have not had any interest so far (since June).

Can someone please let me know what I am doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

My villa details are:

http://www.holidaylets.net/properties/22178

Regards
Lorraine
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hi Lorraine and welcome to LMH. I'll check it out later when I have some time.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

Hi :)

I've had a quick look too, and although I'm only really qualified to comment from a "punter" perspective my observations initially are that you need better photos :cry:

The property under yours in the listing (TW17915) seems to be £125 cheaper during peak season, and admittedly it's an apartment rather than a villa, but the aspect seems a lot nicer. I think you need to try and make more of the unique fetures you're offering somehow :)

Where is your other ad btw?
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hi Lorraine and also welcome.

Personally I'm a great believer in photographs - they are your shock-troops in grabbing people's interest, which you can then fire up with an enthusiastic description. It is really worth spending time and trouble over your photos, because that's what is going to make somebody stop flicking over sites and focus on yours. I'm reviewing mine at the moment, considering fresh ones for the next season.

Remember, you are selling the dream. Think about the pics you see in brochures, then go out and try to take something similar of your villa and its surroundings, highlight its appeal.

good luck! :D

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Hi Lorraine,

Welcome to LMH!

What strikes me first of all is that you're only showing bedroom 2, which looks very sparse and bare, sheet not tucked in neatly either. Is this your best pic of bedrooms? What about the double? That would put me off as a punter........
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Hi
Only just had a very quick look at the moment, but if i was to rent i would like to see a photo of the double bedroom, not sure if you are limited to your photo, if so then i would think about changing maybe the side patio photo. I like the swimming pool at night photo
Nessie
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Lorraine :)
as the others have said Welcome to LMH its nice to get new posters :wink: :) ..
What other website do you advertise on...
Your place looks nice...
A few things as the others have said..Bed looks a bit unmade also I wouldnt have the fan in the shot..
Under entertainment I dont think Id put board games..I think I just would leave that sentence out.
theres a bit about bar/restaurant being 0 miles away which seems a bit odd..
The bottom bit seems a bit negative..I dont think people expect wheelchair access unless it says so..
Children Welcome Sorry No Smoking or Pets might seem better
Realistically as youve only been advertising a couple of months you cant really expect to much yet..
In June most of the potential guests would probably have made their arrangements already...
Good Luck anyway :wink:
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Welcome Lorraine. Some very good advice above about the actual content of your ad. You pictures, in particular are a bit drab, but if you send me a PM, I may well be able to help you there. By the way, do you have daytime picture of the outside of the Villa ? Also something that may explain and show off "detached split level bungalow style villa".

More to the point, I've had a look at your availablity, and I wonder if you really are doing so badly given that you only started advertising in June ? You have the full summer booked, and for that tyoe of property, its difficult to get a lot outside the main period, but it will come eventually. You do need to spend a chunk of money in the early years on a number of listing sites, and remember that bookings come at weird times throughout the year, so have a bit more patience, and good luck.
simonandlozzie

Post by simonandlozzie »

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. My villa is also listed on this site:

http://property-rental-turkey.com/searc ... age=search

I have only just come back Turkey and these are the most recent photo's we've taken of it. I must admit it's very hard to get a complete picture of the villa as I have to walk away and take a picture outside of our garden, but we have a high fence on the wall which gets into the photo and doesn't look very nice! Also, I took some photo's of the double bedroom whilst over there, but when I got home to look at them I didn't feel they were good enough to put on the website. I have some friends going over next week and I've asked them to take some photo's for me as well. The bookings I've had this year have only been myself and some friends have booked as well - so I haven't had any real customers (so to speak), but I suppose I can use these bookings as a 'guinea pig' period! It is also very difficult to get a complete picture of the villa - the view of the swimming pool is the back view and the front only has a front door, so it's nothing to look at there, plus it's hard to get a decent picture because of the high fence on my wall. As you say, it's all down to the photo's.
Apart from that, what do you think of the prices? I've had a look at other villa's and tried to keep it in comparison with them. This is sooooo hard!!! I suppose I will learn as I go along.
brenda

Post by brenda »

Price seems a bit heavy to me for your first season that is bound to have some teething troubles.

As already said, most people would have arranged their 2007 holiday accommodation by June - you should start getting interest from September onwards for next year.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Agree with others about the photos, not sure that the 'view from the villa' shot does you any favours. Blue sky needed!

Just a point about prices. Quoting a low and then high season is vague - what is low and what is high? And prices that say 'From £xxx' would put me off enquiring. With HolidayLets you can enter as many price periods as you want.
Nessie

Post by Nessie »

Personally I think the villa looks very nice, as I have said my hesitation would be that there is no picture of the double bedroom so if your friends can resolve that for you that would be good. Prices really not sure or looked to see what others are charging for a comparison. Once again from a personal point of view if I were renting a 3-bed house then I would not expect that one of the beds were a sofa bed. To be honest I don’t like them as for me it invades the living space and when I rent a villa or house I would expect my living room to remain a living room and not have to rearrange the bedding every day. So for us as a family of 4 it would be fine for us to rent but if I was taking another couple then I am afraid as much as I think it looks lovely then I am afraid I would move on as I would see it as only a two bedroom villa, if you see what I mean.
Nessie
simonandlozzie

Post by simonandlozzie »

Once again from a personal point of view if I were renting a 3-bed house then I would not expect that one of the beds were a sofa bed. To be honest I don’t like them as for me it invades the living space and when I rent a villa or house I would expect my living room to remain a living room and not have to rearrange the bedding every day. So for us as a family of 4 it would be fine for us to rent but if I was taking another couple then I am afraid as much as I think it looks lovely then I am afraid I would move on as I would see it as only a two bedroom villa, if you see what I mean.[/quote]

Hi.... it is a 3 bedroomed property, kingsize bed in main bedroom and single bed in each bedroom (I could actually turn one of the bedrooms into a twin room, but am waiting to see what booking potential is like). So it easily sleeps 4. I thought I would mention the sofa bed as an added extra really (just to show it can accommodate 6 if needed). Thanks for your comments though, they are really appreciated.
Lorraine
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Show the Master Bedroom!! (like everyone else has said!) who CARES what the kids bedrooms look like ;-) Seriously...people may not read the text and think all the bedrooms are small.

SUN - who goes to Turkey and dosen't want sun! Take your photos at a different time of day so they show bright and sunny (I have this problem too in my photos as they were all taken in winter!!) I LOVE your kitchen photo and the pool photo...and the patio! just get the others up to the same satndard.

one more thought...maybe you're doing NOTHING wrong! I only started advertising in May...was getting lots of enquiries int he beginning...and now NONE all summer. NONE from HL yet...I think it is REALLY just the time of year...ha! at least that's what I'm telling myself anyway :-) I think you should give it the season before worrying...I'm going to see what happens after Christmas before I start freaking out.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Can someone please let me know what I am doing wrong?
Running a business - any business - is a long game. Sometimes you hit the ground running with a great idea that takes off immediately or you set up against the background of a contract which provides ready income. Mostly, however, you'll need careful research, much patience and sufficient in the kitty to tide you over until the money starts rolling in. And you'll have to be totally professional and committed in every way because you will battling against seasoned gite owners who don't take prisoners.

Me, I'd be tempted to make positive use of this 'down time' to study your opposition, read relevant threads on LMH and polish your marketing. With better photographs (as others have said) as a priority.

Good luck.

Jim