Is it OK to charge more than pro rata for short stays....

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here

If you were renting in London, what's the shortest let you'd consider

2-4 days
97%
4-6 days
3%
1 week or more
No votes

Total votes: 33

fibi

Post by fibi »

Had a peep - well you knew we would! and it looks really good. I think there is a very serious lack of your type of rental in London. When we were overseas we had to travel to London and always ended up in the Holiday Inn with 2/4 kids not ideal, I would have loved to stay in your flat.

Following on I would forget about the weekly rates and go for nightly - £120 to £150 a night would be about right with 7 nights for the price of 6 a really good idea. Two couples could share your lovely flat for £30 a night a person - they would have to go to a youth hostel to get a better rate. Throwing in breakfast for the first morning would go down well but might be a pain to organise.
I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

tree-peony wrote:Ali, wouldn't that be more for corporate lets tho than tourists?
No, I don't think she gets corporate lets at all. I can't give you a direct link or she'll go mad if she sees everyone looking from LMH :shock: but it is also the holidaylettings site - home no: 23920. I think they only have three for short lets as most of them are long lets.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

:lol: thanks!
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Nighty :)
Just caught this I think the short stay option would be great... of course you would have to charge more though...
As the others have said your place looks Lovely :!:
...Theres a thought we are coming to london in the next couple of months be nice to stay over...mmmm well I think you should charge bargain basement prices[have you a basement?? :roll: ] especially for fwends :wink:)
Good Luck!!!!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Hello all,

I have now started saying yes to all enquirers asking for 3 or 4 nights, haven't yet reworded my ads to 'discount' a weeks stay but on some of my ads there is provision for putting daily rates on which will equate to the same thing. Your feedback has been really useful thanks.

Am still not going for the 2 nighters though, i(yet) t's just too painful to turn it around as I live half an hour away and I'm not sure it's worth it but am open to change on that one...

got my first booking starting tomorrow, (6 nights) and then another one for 8 nights and got a few others in the pipeline and a few other bookings for various dates already, so it's gonig better than I could have hoped really. Very pleased with it. Despite my pics not being very good, must take some more now that it's finished.

thanks so much for all your input.

Roz, we have a nice big cupboard under the stairs, does that count as a bargain basemen....?
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Roz, we have a nice big cupboard under the stairs, does that count as a bargain basemen....?

Post by debk »

Hi, all -

There is a thread somewhere on here from about a year (maybe more) ago about in-city rentals. Good info there from various people, as I recall, including the "minimum stay" question.

We have four "in-city" places and set a 3 day minimum stay, as do most of the other in-city places in Lisbon.

Our average stay is 5 days in the 3 bedroom house and 4 days in the one bedroom apartment. We offer a very minor, i.e., a few euros, discount to book for the week. We offer a major discount for stays in excess of two consecutive weeks. (Every year we seem to get someone staying for 5-8 weeks.) We expect to have several two week bookings at each place every year... put all this together and this means we get lots of 3 night bookings to hit that 4-5 night average.

We also get lots of 2-night requests, which we happily accept by quietly quoting the 3 night price.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by debk on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
debk

Post by debk »

btw, i totally missed this thread because the subject didn't tell me what it was about and i've ignored it as something i probably couldn't help with. :cry:

request: if possible, it is really helpful, when one is swamped with other things and only has a moment to skim the "what's new" summarized list, to have more descriptive subject lines. . . then we don't feel so left out. just a selfish plea from selfish me. :lol:

i love you nightowl, so pls don't think i'm picking on you! it's a general request that i'm posting on a specific thread. bad me. thread creep. must run.

beijinhos,
debk
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Hi Debk

No probs and no offence taken at all! Yes, you're right the subject heading is completely meaningless - is it possible to change it .....

thanks for the info, your place and mine are probably alike in them both being city rents, so your feedback and experience is particularly relevant for me.

I'm just off over there to do final preps for tomorrow's arrival.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
debk

Post by debk »

whew. thanks for being understanding! i think the thread owner can change the subject somewhere tiny up near the top of your page. not sure though.

thought of another thing: those 3 night turnovers aren't as bad as they sound. typically, cleaning is a snap as people are hardly in the apartment at all during such a short stay.

i have a full-size oven at the smallest one bedroom apt that i am confident has never ever been used in two years. people fairly regularly ask if it is indeed a full sized oven... i even had to go take a picture of it for guests who had to have one... but it's never been used. good food is to be had nearby so cheaply that people often eat out every night, even when they hadn't planned to do so at first.

i was worried that the linens would take a beating with so much washing/turnover but ours don't seem to be troubled by it. they are good quality and it's paid off in longevity.

good luck with the first arrivals. such fun to have a new project!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Nightie :)
Just click edit and you can change it Ive done it a few times with mine!!!!
Debs right :wink: You might get people find the thread easier and then give suggestions.. :)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yep, you can change the subject by editing the first post of the thread.

A friend of ours has an apartment in Paris that he rents out (I designed his website and now just make sure it keeps running). His rates are by the night, and I believe he does have a minimum stay requirement, but I can't remember if it's 3 nights, 5 nights, etc. -- only that it's less than a week. And he does give a discount for stays longer than one week. It seems to work well for him.
Brooke
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Glad the bookings are going so well Nightie - it's all a bit nailbiting at first isn't it! I don't have 'em of course...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Glad the bookings are going so well Nightie - it's all a bit nailbiting at first isn't it! I don't have 'em of course...
Well I know it aint bookings cos you get plenty of them :) ..so you must mean nails :wink: ..you little goatish person you :)
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Bang on the nail Ros, as ever!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be